Friday, April 24, 2020

Welcome to paint party Friday... I finished up the lessons from Sketchbook revival and it was a wonderful learning experience!
This was one lesson I thought I'd make a mess of but I loved it from start to finish. The teacher was calm and encouraging, she broke the task into easy lines, encouraged us to scribble and dab.
I collected my pens and pencils, paints, sketchbook and water color paper. I started with her portrait and some notes, and she said, sketch with black pen.
Bold! No going back! It was great to see the lines appearing, and a release to know there would be no erasures. As it turned out I LOVED the sketch in black and white I did on the watercolor paper so ironically it remained a sketch while the thin paper of my sketchbook became the painted one!

I added another portrait in my 16 squares page... I learned so much about features, and how to age a person, how to paint different shaped lips, and eyes, and hair by doing these small thumbnail portraits. Now when I see an interesting face I do a little sketch. It is very satisfying to capture a gesture, or shading, and still remain abstract.
I feel I caught the teacher (with the earrings) and learned a new mouth shape. I learned by doing how to do a shirt better, and like her so much. The one on the bottom was a complete miss, it looks very little like her but I like the character she turned out to be.

I didn't enjoy all the exercises and got kind of cross with a couple teachers
This one was rude in my opinion so it came out in my portrait of her. She does have a really big mouth but not like this!
 she had really unique hair too. I didn't learn a lot but I learned to do a basic shape then soften it, round it, and try different components.

 This woman was beautiful, with a really different chin. I tried to capture her but she was teaching perspective, and taught it like she was talking to experienced architects! I was so out of my wheel house!Still I learned a little from her, I think!

 That's it for this week. I hope to continue to paint even though the classes are over.

If you like random lists of things I liked this week, check out Thursday's post! HERE!

Tomorrow is quilting round up with lots to show. Now that it's warmer I hope to return to painting on fabric, and quilting it.

LINKING TO

https://paintpartyfriday.blogspot.com/

22 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

like your sunflower... it can talk to me somehow (yes that's the result from 31 days of lockdown LOL)

Sara said...

The sunflower is especially good. I've always enjoyed the study of perspective, maybe because it has this aspect of being precise. It is more how my brain works I guess. I had a really good art teacher in high school (a zillion years ago) who had us do some fun things with perspective drawings.

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds like you had fun. Love the sunflower. Happy PPF, Valerie

Debra said...

I'm always captivated by your sketchbook, and always tell myself to get to it and do what you are doing. But I get stalled on other junk and forget your inspiration till I come back here again! I'm not trying to flatter you-I truly admire your work. Thanks for sharing it!

sirkkis said...

Great that you enjoyed the lessons. You also learned a lot I see. The sunflower is beautiful and portraits are expressive and joyful.
Happy weekend, stay healthy ♥️

Linda Kunsman said...

your sunflower is beautiful!! Love all the face practices too. Happy PPF!

Christine said...

Love your sunflower! Nice work with the faces too.

Gloria j Zucaro said...

Wow! You had quite a learning experience! I love your sunflower sketch and painting. I think having no way to go back when sketching with pen really makes things unique! Have a good week.

Himawan Sant said...

Fun activity, friend.
I also like to paint, but my drawings are not good 🤭.

Continue to practice and get lots of fun there ..

Greetings from Indonesia :)

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I like your portraits. And, the sunflower is so cool. Glad to hear you watched all the sessions. I got distracted somewhere after the fifth or sixth one. I'm guess I'm not ready to learn more about various art techniques. I'm happy at the exploration level for now. :-)

Tammie Dickerson said...

Wonderful sunflower!! Happy PPF!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

fantastic the sinflowers !!!
You wrote your pages beautifully drawn, have a good weekend, hug Elke

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Gorgeous sunflowers!
That's turning into quite a great original reference book!
Looking forward to seeing your painting on fabrics !
enjoy a creative weekend!
Hugs,
Joanne

MissPat said...

Great sunflower. Wish I could grow them, but the deer and rabbits eat them before they can bloom. It's going to be sunny and near 60 today (finally), so I'm planning to work outside in the garden. So much to do.
Pat

Susan said...

I love your beautiful sunflower. Hope you will share some of your quilted painted fabric. Happy PPF

Barbara said...

Love the sunflower! So good to keep a portrait journal! It’s a learning experience. Oh, to reply to your comment, I used acrylic paints for “Wake me when it’s over”. I don’t have the hand control for drawing anymore,, but I can hold a paint brush. 😄
Thanks for visiting!

DVArtist said...

This is a wonderful post. Your Sunflower is just gorgeous.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

You can never go wrong with blue in my book. LOVE, love, love your sunflower. Lovely work!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Sunflowers are so cheerful. It been a while since I post on PPF

Meditations in Motion said...

Your sketches of sunflowers are beautiful! You are such a good artist! Thanks for sharing your sketches and learning process with us!

LA Paylor said...

awe shucks! I love to hear that! Thanks for coming by!
L.A.

Shannon Mackle said...

I was treated of this deadly disease within a 2 week, I am now free from Herpes. You can contact him …………….robinsonbuckler11@ {{gmail}} com,,