Monday, April 13, 2020

the gift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjqiU5FgsYc,

we all like a present, right?
A surprise that shows another person knows who you are and puts action into feeling by giving you something you'd like.

Say thank you! Be grateful for that connection, right?
What about the spontaneous gift brought home from work or travels? Your mate was thinking about you while away and shows it.

Tell me about a time when you found .a perfect gift for someone, or when you received a wonderful gift.

I think some of the best gifts I've been given are small. Oh I like the big gestures too like the 10 year anniversary ring, but when we lived in Baltimore dh would bring home silly pens with glitter, or lanyards of rainbow colors from trade shows, or come in with a surprise bouquet of flowers on Friday nights.
When we courted, dh lived far away and I'd come home to a bouquet of lisianthus, purple ones, by the door. I discovered them while visiting him in MA so he sent some to remind me of our time together.

now I might wake up to find dh has put a special app on the computer or finished the taxes, or when I can't stand on nerve pinched toes he makes dinner. What a gift.

When I am cantankerous because of anxiety he quietly stays by my side.
When I am stressed Milo comes and stands by my chair, leaning against me.
Such a gift.
Tell me about a special gift you've given or received or both, you know I like to listen!

ps. saw this on the writer's almanac today
"It's the birthday of the man who invented the game Scrabble. Alfred M. Butts was born in Poughkeepsie, New York (1899). He was an architect, but during the Depression he was out of a job and decided he'd invent an adult game. He classified games into three groups — chance, skill, and a combination of both — and decided that the last was the most promising. He said the hardest part of developing the game was assigning point values for letters. He went methodically through the dictionary and several popular newspapers and counted by hand the frequency of letter usage. He had trouble selling the game to major board game companies, but a friend of his decided to produce it on an assembly line, and it became a great success. He enjoyed playing Scrabble with his wife, who was a good opponent. He said, "Nina knows more words and spells better than I, but my architectural training helps me to plan better."

10 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

you are right, the best gifts are small and not the big thing... that are those things what come to us when we need them the most ;O)

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

So true, the best gifts are those that are most meaningful to both the giver and the recipient. My best gift: DH and I are planning a move to AZ; we've lived in our current house in MO for 35 years. We planted a tree in the back yard the first year we lived here. Now it's huge and has beautiful textured bark; we will miss it when we move. Last year I gave him a framed photograph of the tree trunk with his hosta garden beneath it. I've rarely seen him tear up, but this gift brought tears to his eyes.

Sara said...

I just gave a special gift and am anxiously waiting to see how it is received. I made a Quilt of Valor for one of my cousins but I can't go to Virginia to present it. So I mailed it to his wife and it should arrive today. His 2 sons will present it to him - reading the "speech" and wrapping their dad in the quilt.

Quiltdivajulie said...

AWEsome video clip - thanks for sharing it! As far as small gifts that mean a lot - case in point just this morning. Younger son is staying with us for the next couple of months (one month in, likely 2 more to go - pandemic avoidance) and he has his laptop, etc. set up on a table in our upstairs office (sharing space and connections). DH walked in and asked both of us (working at different "desks" why son was printing to the downstairs printer when there was a printer sitting beside my computer in the office. I guess because it didn't show up in the list of available printers, son said. Well, said DH, let's fix that right now and you can print here in the same room. Voila. He does little things like that all day every day and life is so much better for it.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Your gift is very precious indeed.

DianeLoves2Quilt said...

When my daughter moved from our home in California after college because of a job opportunity in Oklahoma (it was post 9/11/01 when jobs were scarce and graduate schools were impacted) I flew out with her. It was a roundtrip flight for me and a one way flight for her. I helped her set up her apartment when the big moving van arrived with her stuff. I was a great few days of mother/daughter bonding while my husband stayed home with her younger brother. On the flight home I was not looking forward to walking into her empty bedroom. Even though she'd been at college for four years, the room still had her belongings so she did not seem really gone. My husband picked me up from the airport and once home I pretty much directly went up to her room... to brood? to reminisce? to cry? The room was not empty. My husband had moved in my sewing machine and fabrics and set it up as my room to sew/quilt. He said he wanted to prevent me from turning it into a shrine. He was so right and I was so thankful and grateful – for the room, for his thoughtfulness, and for that special time he enabled me to have with our daughter. I was a great gift.

Helen L said...

one of the most special gifts I received was to wake up on my 16th birthday and find that my sister had strung streamers across the room (without waking me up!!) Our family never decorated for birthdays, so to find that on that morning was such a special delight that I still feel the joy of that morning!!!

Helen L said...

What a special gift from a very thoughtful husband!!!

sewyouquilt2 said...

My sewing buddy niece dropped off a handmade bunny for my door for my birthday. She blew kisses thru the door and her mask. She is 27 so this was special of her to think of me and come deliver it in these crazy times. I miss hugging my girl but she made me feel loved.

Shannon Mackle said...

I was treated of this deadly disease within a 2 week, I am now free from Herpes. You can contact him robinsonbuckler11 @ {{gmail}}com...............