Friday, April 17, 2020

watching paint dry

Welcome to paint party Friday! A celebration of things drawn and painted! I continued learning this past week, taking lessons from sketchbook revival and from blueprint. The above painting is very small, on 5X6" watercolor paper.

 Luckily I leave my supplies on the kitchen table next to the computer, ready to use. This teacher started out calling for more supplies I didn't have but I made do
I did the lesson, and took notes, also drawing my sketch of the teacher all in my sketchbook.
I love the little trees!
I didn't feel equal to the task of shadows and landscapes so I turned my piece into a non-winter one.
She wanted us to use saran wrap to texture the water to look frozen. It couldn't stay wet enough to do that on sketch paper, so I got out a little watercolor card stock. Small so it held no expectations
I sort of repeated the lesson, and the saran wrap did move the paint around a bit, see?
She mentioned how to splatter paint on the snow, but I did it differently of course.
I used the brownish green with a good amount of water and laid the painting down on the table and hit the edge of my brush sharply on the edge. It didn't splatter, it sent long irregular dashes onto the grass.... and I LOVED it! I'll do that again. Not what she taught, but what I learned while painting along with the lesson!
I went in with gray pen, black gel pen, and white gel pen at the end to put some snow on mountain tops and accent the tree and water edge. 
It amazed me just how much I like this little painting. I like the colors I might not have chosen, as they are very Colorado like

Another lesson was changed up because of not having all the supplies.


I had pulled this magazine page a while back, and decided to use it. I like the mood. Our lesson was to combine media, so I painted a background with sweeping color. Pasted the torn image, and started drawing around her. We were to pull out words to suit the image, putting ourselves in the collage. Lastly I added some white gel pen on face and drawings, some black gel pen for bindi star and tears. 

This instructor had us doing an emotional survey to see what might hold us back from creating freely

the page next to it is my idea to keep painting interesting faces I encounter after I'm finished with the sketchbook revival lessons. I subdivided the page, and will just paint any faces I come across. The top guy was a TED talk, the next woman taught me the following lessons on graphics and lettering with watercolor (blueprint)



I ran across some more blueprint lessons on painting and drawing I'd like to do, so I plan to join for a year. I also hope to sign up with the sketchbook teachers to continue the learning after classes finish in a week. I'll miss it so much.  
And for fun, here's my all time favorite song



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09gJX0Cc6p0

LINKING TO
https://paintpartyfriday.blogspot.com/

14 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

love it... it's like traveling somehow.... and if you finished your painting, you are there in your thoughts ;O)

Gillena Cox said...

Beautiful landscape, interesting, adding different motifs to the paintinf

Happy PPF

MUCH🎨LOVE

Kristin Dudish said...

I love how you made the lessons your own (with great results)! The saran wrap technique is always a fun way to get cool texture :)

Sarah Leonard said...

I love that you did a little portrait of the teacher alongside your painting too! Very cool! Happy PPF from No 24 :D

Debra said...

The landscape is beautiful, and I always enjoy your sketchbook pages.

Christine said...

Lovely work, learning is a good thing!

Meditations in Motion said...

So pretty! Good for you for learning a new thing! I have the book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" on my nightstand and have been meaning to follow along with the lessons in that book. I just never made the time to do it. Maybe this is the inspiration I need!

DVArtist said...

I really love this post. I think you did a fantastic job and I too like the little trees. Have a great weekend.

Linda Kunsman said...

super art projects and I really love your first landscape painting:) Happy PPF!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

The landscape is beautiful! The sketchbook pages are great!!!
Happy PFF, Elke

Barbara said...

I love your little painting. It has great depth! Isn’t it it fun when something gives you a surprise result?!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Isn't it exciting to find a new technique that you love doing? I can't imagine doing anything BUT tiny artwork anymore. They are like little puppy kisses on your face. So sweet.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Loved seeing the process of the painting. Great music choice.

Shannon Mackle said...

I was treated of this deadly disease within a 2 week, I am now free from Herpes. You can contact him robinsonbuckler11@ {{gmail}}com........