Sunday, April 12, 2020

Easter... it's Easter, right?

 Happy Easter... I wonder if people will be hiding eggs under the current snow we woke to?
Life is sideways right now, and people seem to be waiting to breathe.

Wait a few weeks, it will go back to normal!

Only that's not how it works... facts are facts...life matters...

for instance on a trivial note, this is not what I think of as Spring-like Easter weather
snow? How will the Easter bunny bring me a basket of squeaky balls?

since it is Easter Sunday, I thought I'd admit to something. 
I purchased these beautiful egg cups from an antique dealer last summer, thinking I'd make them into pin cushions for myself and two friends as Christmas gifts.

As you can see they are still waiting for the transformation!

While DH was at work yesterday, I went into scraps and stash to pull out fabrics to do a tiny spring quilt-let for the Family room easel. This is as far as I got, but the days have less meaning than they used to, the seasons aren't like the ones I grew up with, so who cares? 

I found this blurb on the Writer's Almanac and didn't know about it... just because we don't know something doesn't invalidate it, by the way. Facts have a way of shaking up old ideas, right? Just because two cultures merge a little, doesn't invalidate either one too. We are all products of those who came before us, and our current desire to seek truth and to grow

"The word "Easter" and most of the secular celebrations of the holiday come from pagan traditions. Anglo Saxons worshipped Eostre, the goddess of springtime and the return of the sun after the long winter. According to legend, Eostre once saved a bird whose wings had frozen during the winter by turning it into a rabbit. Because the rabbit had once been a bird, it could still lay eggs, and that rabbit became our Easter Bunny. Eggs were a symbol of fertility in part because they used to be so scarce during the winter. There are records of people giving each other decorated eggs at Easter as far back as the 11th century. "

I always wondered why a bunny dealt in eggs... and why we combined the miracle of Jesus ascending back into Heaven with a rabbit.  People seek to believe in greatness and they seek to make sense of life as well. 

We all want and need meaning in our lives to make them worth living.

 




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmrOB_q3tjo

Linking to

https://comedy-plus.com/ Awe Mondays


and since it's Sunday, it's Sunday right? a Sunday Story

a germaphobe and covid 19 meet in a bar.

"Hey, good looking!" said covid

the germaphobe looked away, trying to slow her heartbeat. He was slick and she knew slick guys were not to be trusted.

"Hey, baby, come closer and sit a while... "

sliding her chair further away, thinking 6 feet would be a good distance, the germaphobe slyly put her hand over her face and said, "not interested"

covid  came closer knowing all he needed was an entrance to make her his...

"hey, I am no threat, I just got some bad press but I'm no worse than any other"

the germaphobe stood quickly and left the bar... who cares what anyone thinks she said!

8 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

Your egg cups are just beautiful and I love your bunny! Happy Easter!

MissPat said...

If you start on the egg cup pincushions now, there'll be done in time for Christmas, just don't put them away somewhere safe. I'm so sorry about the Easter snow. The 2" we got on Friday was enough to put me in a funk and it melted by mid-afternoon.
Pat

Quiltdivajulie said...

We have had heavy rain all day today - gallons and gallons of it. Trying to clear a bit now but will resume as the evening progresses. I so much prefer sunshine. We decorated for Easter even though Little Man would not be here at all during the season. We need the ritual to help us stay on track. Tomorrow I'll pack the bunnies away for another year . . . and we'll move forward one day at a time, staying safe in our house and away from the 1,200+ confirmed cases in our county.

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Know how many things i have around that I would love to turn into pin cushions....! That's a great activity! Thanks for the idea! Love those antique egg cups! That's a great treasure!
You've had snow, quiltdivajulie writes about rain and we're dry.dry air, dry ground, very little rain. for April ! Where are the April showers that bring May flowers!
hugs,
Joanne

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Aww, what a cute bunny.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

You are such a gifted writer. And, I really enjoyed the explanation of Easter, bunnies and our expectations. I can’t believe you’re still getting snow, we’re definitely in the 80’s this week. It was an eerie quiet Easter here-just me and my brother. I cooked a turkey ham and scalloped potatoes. Now I have to put the Easter decos away that no one else saw! Oh well- on to summer. Have a great day!

PaintedThread said...

Those egg cups are pretty cool. Thank goodness it's been warmer - it poured rain today. If that had been snow we'd have been snowed in!

Shannon Mackle said...

I was treated of this deadly disease within a 2 week, I am now free from Herpes. You can contact him robinsonbuckler11 @ {{gmail}}com...............