Friday, October 16, 2020

Paint Party Friday a tale of two crystals

 

Welcome to this week's painting round up! 

I decided to try to paint my lovely pink quartz rock by our fountain. This lived in our garden paradise in MD and now lives on rocks of Colorado. 

 


I first painted the one on the right, and didn't like the perspective plus it looked like a shoe. I did like aspects of it, I liked the texture of the fountain, I liked the wash of color up on the right corner, and the bits of green on the brown rocks. I also enjoyed inking in the rocks after the paint dried

but it looked like a shoe so I started over

I really liked the rock much better, but now I got too many rocks! And the shading is off... 

 But I like it better. I don't like to repeat a subject but I see the value in it. Painting in series teaches you a lot, and allows you to home in on one aspect. If I was to try again, I'd like to keep the negative space at the top right of the first one, an the lines and shading on the second rock. 

 

LINKING TO

https://paintpartyfriday.blogspot.com/

20 comments:

Lisca said...

Well done for trying to paint the crystal. It's not easy. I agree the one on the right looks like a shoe. A clog to be precise. (Being Dutch my brain says: clog)
Have a lovely relaxing weekend,
Stay safe,
Hugs,
Lisca

Kathy said...

Cut them up and make a collage of the parts you like best! That would be one huge success instead of two that are okay and that you keep criticizing yourself about!! Yes, it's a lesson, but make it fun, too!

Barbara said...

A learning experience, for sure. They both have strengths!

Christine said...

Just beautiful work!

Clare Lloyd said...

Lovely work

Sara said...

That second version is really amazing! Love that tiny touch of green, and the ink.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That's pretty amazing and darn pretty too.

piecefulwendy said...

That, my friend, is amazing.

denthe said...

That is a beautiful quartz rock that you have there LeeAnna, and you have a lot of courage to try to paint it. I think both of your paintings look good, but the last one is my favorite :-)

DVArtist said...

Leanna this is stunning. You did an amazing job. Well done my friend. Enjoy your day.

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful art and pics as always. Happy PPF!

Rain said...

Oh that's really nice! Great job on the quartz!! Love the colours!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Nice rock, I like the colours.

Molly the Airedale said...

Your work is always gorgeous!

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

I like textures you got on the second painting and what beautiful coloring on both!

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Great job with repainting the crystal. It looks wonderful!

-Soma

My name is Erika. said...

Nice crystals. You did a fabulous job. Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

Linda Kunsman said...

beautiful drawings of the crystal. Happy PPF!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I actually like both of them, but I agree that the first one did remind me of a shoe. The second one definitely looks like your quartz crystal.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

You're a brave soul trying something that challenging. Well done!