Friday, October 23, 2020

"Halloween Row " quilt of 2020

 

"Halloween Row"   21.5" X48"
This year's Halloween quilt, and I have done one each year since we got married (26 years) is done and hanging up on the wall! 

I am so happy with how it turned out!
I won't go into all the design decisions, but I started it a while back with Joy's magic circle blocks and my scrap bag of halloween scraps, just for fun!
You never know what something will turn into! After I made them I started wondering what else I could put with them, and...
 
I like how the quilting turned out, emphasizing the circle blocks.  I used metallic sparkly copper, blue, purple and black threads to quilt it so it shimmers in person. On the above photo look for applique ghosts and ghost button embellishments, bat appliques, and skeleton button

I decided to use an older solid fabric for the backing, as I get precious about wall quilts and not using prettier fabrics on the backs  that are not meant to be seen. You can see quilting on solid though!

You can see  I did use a cute scrap with tweety and sylvester for the sleeve however. I was going to bind it in black but changed to dark purple on sides, and a purple batik for top and bottom. Happy.

Then time for beading!!! I had all kinds of things I wanted to use for fringe.

I use a thread made for quilting, a thin eyed longer needle and bury the knots. I looked thru my alphabet and couldn't find O's so I used Q's for the word BOO at the bottom, and got busy during a chat with Joy one afternoon. A zoom bee sort of!

I had the cutest square sequins to scatter in the bottom row but decided it didn't add much

Detail shots of the fringe... skulls, hearts, gold balls and ghosts!



hope you've enjoyed looking at this with me. 

I learned how to make the little blocks and that I enjoyed orienting my scrap strips row by row... 

I haven't done that before

I love using a collection in quilts! That I've done often, to see your pretty fabrics in one place. I love doing seasonal quilts too, and bringing them out every year. 

Funny but each time I make one I say, this is my favorite!




 

 

now, on to the next to on the wall... I've been busy sewing borders on this week, piecing in those tiny geese units, keeping the color and scale balanced... more tomorrow on those. They came from the cut off half square triangle units from the lozenge blocks!

you never know where one block will lead you!

for more Halloween quilts from other years scroll down  HERE 

 

LINKING TO

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays

wendysquiltsandmore peacock party (quilts)
http://frombolttobeauty.blogspot.com/
off the wall Fridays
can I get a whoop whoop Fridays 
tgiffriday

30 comments:

Brian's Home Blog said...

WOW, that is super pretty and purrfect for Halloween!

easyweimaraner said...

that is an artpiece... we love the little details and you can discover always something new with every look at it :O)

Sara said...

I'm with you on the backing of things like wall hangings and table toppers. I just can't hardly stand to use something "pretty" on a never-to-be-seen back when I can save it for something better. And I absolutely ADORE those little ghosties hanging along the bottom!!! Wonderful, fun quilt. Do you pull out those quilts from previous seasons and pet them every year? Use them somewhere else in the house? I suspect each one brings back memories.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Just adorable. Nice quilting too! Do you bring out all your Halloween quilts each year?

CrafteeChickee said...

Cute! But what do you do with the 20 some others?

LA Paylor said...

I bring out a selection each year, like you'd do with any decorations. Some are bed sized to display on beds, most are wall so are draped on sofas, or hung up
LeeAnna

Susan from Bucks County said...

Great quilt and I really like the fringe with the ghosts, etc. I am doing a Halloween counted cross stich piece and I will use your idea with the fringe. Hugs to Milo!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm SEW glad that my Mini Magic Star tutorial spawned this year's Halloween Quilt, LeeAnna! I enjoyed exploring some of your design choices with you during our weekly Zoom calls. What a FUN quilt this grew into!!

Helen L said...

So cute!! I especially love the magic circle blocks and all the beading! :-)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is so much fun, LeeAnna! I love the rows of magic stars interspersed with the cute Halloween fabric, and all of your embellishments that add so much!

MissPat said...

I know you love to decorate for Halloween and haven't been able to do your thing outside because of the air quality. At least you have a lot of things to hang inside where you get to enjoy them all day.
Pat

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Although I saw it hanging earlier in the week, the close ups are so much better. I am so impressed with your quilting skills, too. You have a real gift, dear LeeAnna.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Love at all those lively colors! LOVE the bats. 🦇

Molly the Airedale said...

Love your quilt! It's so special and pretty!

PaintedThread said...

What a fun quilt!!

Rebecca said...

I could tell in yesterday's sneak peek that you had had some fun with the bottom decorations...I just didn't know how much! This quilt brings a smile to my face.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Oh, this is great! Love all the details and the wonderful beading! What a nice tradition! x

Barbara said...

I do love this! The beading is always a favorite embellishment, so I think it’s the finishing touch. So spectacular!

Angie said...

LA - 26 quilts. That's incredible. I love Halloween, and your quilt is adorable, especially the fringe! Bring on the treats!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Beautiful quilt...love the little ghosts and beads on the bottom...so cute. Have a great day!

Lisca said...

You do a Halloween quilt every year? Do you mark which year it was? You must have quite a pile of them by now.
Anyway, I have never seen a Halloween wall quilt so I think this one is great. I love that you have left the back plain, as it now shows the patterns and shapes you have made. Well done you!
The little beads at the bottom are such a cute detail and symbolize the treats i think.
I hope your Olive Again book gets a bit more interesting. I've never tried audio books. Perhaps I'll try one day, but here we have to pay extra when we buy an e-book to have the audio version.
Have a great weekend,
Lisca
Have a great weekend

Deb A said...

Oh my, that is a fun quilt that makes me smile when I see it. Those bats! Fun. A great use of your fabrics.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Awesome little quilt. Do you know where all your Halloween quilts are? Perhaps you can share them all sometime you are so talented.

Susie H said...

Great Halloween quilt. I loved Joy's circle blocks too - so cute. Your quilting is really nice - love the surprise motifs. The beading is the icing on the cake!!

Carol Andrews said...

Sweet quilt finish!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

So Cute - I adore the ghost "fringe" on the bottom. What a great idea!

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap! I always like to see what you are up to.

Bonnie said...

Definitely a cute Halloween quilt. I've made two of Joy's magic circle blocks. I want to get back to it but haven't yet. I really like the little dangling bits especially the BOO or should I say BQQ? You have to look hard to realize those are Qs not Os. Great job.

AnnieO said...

That turned out so cute and fun, what a great time you had adding all the special treatments.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi LeeAnna, what a great Halloween wall hanging. I love the different rows with blocks and great fabric. My favourite is the beading. Awesome! I really hope that you'll consider linking up to Free Motion Mavericks - the link-up is open for another couple of days. Take care.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Such a cute Halloween quilt. I especially love that fringe! I'll have to remember that. I also love how you make a new one each year. What a beautiful diary! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.