Saturday, September 12, 2020

The sewing this week is RED but my mind is on Fall

 

Welcome to my weekly sewing round up... the color of the month at RSC is red... angela encourages us to use our red scraps. I cut out the base to my lozenge blocks, 3.5" X 6.5" and got organized

with the 2" squares in black and white. Ready to sew on all corners, then sew a second seam to make tiny 1.5" bonus hst's to play with creatively


The first shot was the sewn lozenge blocks. Time to play with the little cut offs!

I had an idea in my mind to mix little 1.5" squares in this time and make a heart

 but.... it was looking like a big square, plus I'd have to exactly use the white ones and black ones, and all the fill in area would make me use tons more tiny squares and sewing all of those would not be fun...


I tried just doing a mix of bird in the air blocks, down on the right there... 


meh....

back to the design board, er, wall

open my intuition and start playing with ideas







this idea used all the blocks I cut plus the hst blocks... I liked it, and I will use it in future with larger sized blocks but this time all I could see was the need to cut lots more filler blocks and tons of sewing. 

heyyyyy I like that little thing...   it uses all the hst blocks, most of the other ones I cut... so not being sure how I wanted to place each larger unit in relation to the rest, I set about sewing the individual units together. That's where I stopped last night... after moving them around and around.


this time I did not remeasure the half square triangle blocks, just sewed them however they were, and some are a little wonky and that's okay with me. I'll probably be moving these around a while trying new combinations this week

Meanwhile, Joy ( https://thejoyfulquilter.blogspot.com/)  reminded me our Fall hop quilt deadline is approaching...eeek! I had big plans for that! I did make the halloween top but I wanted to make a new Fall piece... so I got out some pretty fabrics, put on my thinking cap,  


this is why I love fabric... the prints and colors, the texture. 
This was  an odd week, a freak snow storm where the temps dropped from 90+ down to 25 F and we had to gather up all the plants to the garage, settle the sprinkler system, etc
then I had a back problem that kept me out of the studio. 
So I need to get going again now!
linking to
patchwork Sunday         

scrap happy Saturdays

10 comments:

PaintedThread said...

Red, white and black. Hard to go wrong with that! Great blocks.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh! (Insert sharp intake of breath.) That design for your RED leftovers is really eye catching!! Looking forward to seeing how that turns out. What did you come up with for the Fall Hop? Hoping for a preview this coming week!

Deb A said...

I love how you play with the leftovers from the lozenge blocks. You always come up with such fun projects. I hope the back is feeling better.

grammajudyb said...

Such interesting designs from those itty bitty hst. Looking forward to your Fall Hop entry! One of these days, I’ll get brave and join in.

Barbara said...

Don’t know how I missed this post. Lots of sewing going on there, and then the weather change causing extra chores. Hope your back ic doing better now!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

So many interesting designs for your bits. I love the circle design. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Thanks for showing us your designs for the little leftovers! It is so interesting to see how you are putting things together.

Susie H said...

Your red lozenges look great and I'm sure you'll come up with a fantastic idea for those HSTs. We were supposed to get some of that cooler weather but the front stalled and we here in St Louis got was tons of humidity. Looking forward to Fall too!

Rebecca Grace said...

Black, white and red -- one of my favorite combinations. Even better with your rich complexity of assorted red fabrics. Also, you went from 90 degree weather to actual SNOW?! It's really starting to feel like the Apocalypse this year, isn't it?!

Quiltpiecer said...

Red is my favorite color. Enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for sharing.