Friday, September 11, 2020

Paint party Friday- two for you

 

It's time for my weekly round-up of painting! Color, glorious color. I paint because I want to express something within myself.  Painting provides something that art quilting, and writing does not... oh they are all very important to me but in different ways, and I find I turn to each one throughout the week. 

The day before the snowstorm, we had to put our flowers in the garage for safety as we knew the temps were dropping from 90 to 25F then would be climbing back to 90 the following week. I had watched the forger's show on how A. Derain painted and it along with the sunshine on my yellow mums inspired me to get out the paints

the color is more intense in person but this will show you how I freely daubed on the watercolor then flicked the black pen to give the feel of stems. Some white posca pen dots add highlights.

Thursday, one of the "I Like Thursday" posters in Florida (lavender dreamer too) shared a photo of a flower with yellow butterfly, and her capture of light and dark, of blurring the background caught my eye. I can't say I captured it, you can't win 'em all, but it was fun to try!!!



again, this is more intense in person.
It's not my favorite but I'm trying to capture a feeling, and was impressed with the fauvists style... this is not their style but my approach was to just do it. Not overwork, and I did get a few too many details, but the background is quite different for me. an example
Fauvism | HiSoUR – Hi So You Are 
as to my painting
I love how subtle the leaves on the left are... I hope I remember to try that effect again since it was an afterthought a way of filling that space.


gray, purple, green blended in sweeping strokes. It was too blended so I went over it at the end with a prisma color pencil to get the texture of the paper and I like that effect. I'll do that again I think. 

I struggled with white flowers and nearly white butterfly, combined with my way of painting, and can't say I love it, but I like it and I learned while painting about shading and textures. 

I remember going to the National Gallery of Art in Washington DC often, while we lived in Maryland. I would get as close as the guards allowed, to see brush strokes.

I think I just need to paint more. 

two new pieces on the "gallery mantel"

linking with

https://paintpartyfriday.blogspot.com/

http://floralfridayfoto.blogspot.com/



19 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful flowers, I love especially the blue and yellow one. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

sirkkis said...

Really beautiful paintings. I agree the ink pen gives more intense.
Happy PPF ♥️🌺

Barbara said...

Loving the blue vase and yellow flowers especially. The glassy look of the vase is perfect!

Molly the Airedale said...

Beautiful paintings - both of them!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Wow-I think the final mums painting is my favorite. The outlining and black strokes really make the colors shine. The butterfly is great, too.

Gillena Cox said...

Beautiful paintings and words. Happy PPF

much💓love

DVArtist said...

Your art just makes me happy. Thank you, have a nice weekend.

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
I have a few Hostas in such painted blue pots ! A perfect combination!
Painting white flowers and a butterfly without becoming a muddy mess is secces indeed :)
hugs,
Joanne

The Joyful Quilter said...

It's fun to experiment with different styles and techniques. LOVE your pot of mums!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You are not giving yourself enough credit! OH MY! It is GORGEOUS! I love the background color that gives it good contrast and then when you added....Seek beauty...it made tears come to my eyes! Don't you wish everyone in the world would support and love each other the way we do in our little blogger community! You amaze me! I'm going to use it as a background on my computer! I love it...love them both! Hugs for making our lives more beautiful my friend!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those are both really, really pretty!

sonja said...

"Deep greens and blues are the colors I choose
Won't you let me go down in my dreams?"...
a line from "Sweet Baby James as i recall
Thanks James Taylor for your music
and Le Anna for your paintings. Mahalo!!

Christine said...

Pretty pieces!

Linda Kunsman said...

beautiful paintings. And I hope you don't get more snow until it's actually winter!Happy PPF!

MissPat said...

I like the background on the butterfly piece. And the blue pot with mums is wonderful.
Pat

Michele McLaughlin said...

Very pretty! Love the seek beautfy piece!

Arun Goyal said...

Beautiful.It would be my pleasure if you join my link up party related to Gardening here http://jaipurgardening.blogspot.com/2020/09/peacock-flower-beauty.html

Tails Around the Ranch said...

It's the season for mums and that alone makes me smile.

Ira said...

Lovely work. 👍