Saturday, September 19, 2020

sewing Saturday... where we talk about creating with fabric

 

I've been sewing a lot this week... for the first time in a long time I made a commitment and have a deadline. More about that in a minute... the above image is of my cut off half square triangle blocks in red, finished! 

To remind you, these were the throwaways when I made my lozenge blocks in Red for the RSC last week

 

 I moved them around til I created a new block, then found fun border fabrics... black with red circles, multi color circles, black and white stars... all favorites of mine over the years, all in my stash of pretty fabrics.


I admit to spending too much time deciding on a backing fabric for my quilts. On one hand wall quilts are not meant to show the backing layer, so use something you don't like... on the other hand, it's fun to see a surprise when you flip it over... this one has also been in the stash a while

quilt it using the walking foot...

I was not into the quilting this time, and it's a bit random but balanced. Trim the outsides and decide on a binding


I LOVE this binding fabric and am down to an 8th of a yard, horrors!


DONE!

Mostly this week I worked on my new Fall quilt for reveal day on Wednesday 23rd. 

finding a backing, batting, layering, quilting. It's 25" X 48, so there is more quilting than on the smaller one.... and decisions and new techniques to try...

this braid looks good on it but.... it would not be fun to put on so I doubt that's going to make it. I wasn't content with any of the fonts on my computer, so I wrote out the word home on paper. Blew it up to 11" and used that to form the word home. I wrote it with brush pen, and when you enlarge that the lines become thick enough to use for applique!

I will use the positive cut out but here is the cut away part with blue fabric behind it, reverse applique technique...

 

Before I could press the fall quilt I had to remove the remote from my iron, don't ask... using a magic eraser... chip chip chip

it's so much fun to work on... turkey pilgrims, recipes, pretty colors

but it leaves a big hole in the design wall while I'm quilting it!


LINKING TO

patchwork Sunday                    
oh Scrap Sundays 

 scrap happy Saturdays

14 comments:

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Love the binding on theredquilt. Are you going to put “home” on the fall quilt? I think that would be cool.

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Fun Fall fabrics !
Red quilt really came together !
Looking forward to the 23rd !
hugs,
Joanne

scraphappy said...

I love that backing fabric! Glad that you found a great place to use it.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE the your sweet RED mini for the RSC and BOTH of the "home" ideas for the fall quilt!!! Honestly, you could even consider simply gluing the yarn-y word to your quilt. A little random stitching or a free motion zig zag could be used, too.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your mini quilts are so much bigger and more beautiful than anything I could ever make. I've tried binding a couple of my quiltlets, but they are a disaster. You make beautiful quilts and I love how you moved everything around until you got just the right look on the red wall quilt. Simply STUNNING work.

BTW, I have ONE foot, so had to laugh that you even showed a special foot. I'm such a non-sewer. And I think I'm caught up, now, too!!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your red mini turned out so cute! I love those black prints you bordered it with, too, and the stripey binding. That would be a good one to have more of!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

What an adorable binding fabric! Well done.

Sara said...

You’ll just have to keep an eye out for more of that perfect little stripe to replenish the stash. I love a striped binding. Your design wall is a mini gallery showing.

Norma Schlager said...

You sure had a busy week. I like your little red quilt and agree with the binding. I bought three yards of that several years ago and have used to bind a few quilts.

Barbara said...

You surely have been busy! I love that touch of blue!

My name is Erika. said...

Gorgeous colors and quilting. You have been busy but how much fun! Hugs-Erika

grammajudyb said...

Awesome red mini! A stripey binding is the best! I need to be on the lookout for stripe fabrics for binding! I agree with Joyful about the yarn word. It could be used, using a “couching “ stitch! Wonderful hint about printing a “thick” word! Can’t wait see your Blog Hop entry!

Ann said...

I have trouble with quilt backs, too, for the same reasons. It's so enticing to put the old, tired stuff there but then fun to see something pretty.
Love all the reds you're using. I wish it would cool down here. It doesn't feel like fall yet. I can't believe September is almost over.

navya sree said...

This post is extremely radiant. I extremely like this post. It is outstanding amongst other posts that I’ve read in quite a while. Much obliged for this better than average post. I truly value it! wedding venues in georgetown texas