Saturday, September 5, 2020

Saturday questions

 


Saturday 9: Work Hard, Play Harder (2009)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) We're celebrating the last holiday of summer by going country. Who is your favorite country music artist?
Not a big fan although as a little girl, we visited the Grand Ole Opry once. I'd say now, maybe The Chicks. (listen here to sweet baby james)
 I like certain songs. I loved John Denver music.I tried country line dancing...  
Allison K.   I think she's country but the song isn't...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEusOoPpkEE 


2) Gretchen Wilson sings that on Tuesdays, she gets up before dawn. This morning, did you awaken on your own, or did you need an alarm clock?
 
since retirement, no alarm clocks. That said, moving to Colorado has been an alarm clock. The sun is so intense we can't find curtains to filter out the intense sun that wakes me. Plus neighbors with teens with loud cars moved in since we did, and the cars vibrate our entire house waking me at all hours from 1 AM to 7 AM. 
 

3) She tells us that she doesn't waste her time on manicures or spay tans. How about you? Have you recently spent any money at the salon?
the infection center?          A: not a fan

4) She sings that she's the first to clock in at work. Have you ever worked a job that required you to punch a time clock?
 
I worked at Maas Brothers in Tampa, and they had a time clock. It felt like I'd traveled back in time punching in and out. I was a social worker by day, dept store clerk at night, and English teacher on weekends with Berlitz. To make ends meet.

5) Gretchen Wilson says she is a big fan of McDonald's and tries to eat there once a day when she's on tour. In terms of sales, America's 3 most popular fast-food lunch destinations are McDonald's, Starbucks and Subway. If you could choose a gift card to one of those three, which would you select?
Subway... the food feels more wholesome

6) Gretchen has endorsed Redneck Riviera Whiskey. What's your favorite adult beverage?

Wine for sure. I did belong to a Martini Girls group in Maryland... we met monthly, the hostess provided three types of martinis to sample... that was fun! 
We are trying to find a delivery of our fave wines from back east... but Colorado has a lock on bringing in wines, while their wines are double the prices we used to pay. Right now I'm looking for sparkling shiraz by Peringa, Goosewatch pink champagne, and a good reisling.

Since this Monday is Labor Day, the holiday established to celebrate the American worker … 
 

7) Approx. 10% of Americans are self employed. Have you ever been your own boss? 
yes... when I was lecturing and teaching art quilting. I approached it like the work it was but didn't have to support the family. Kudos to those who can... it's a lot to keep up with. And when you do that, you're always aware of promoting yourself all the time. 

8) According to Monster.com, 50% of workers have left a job to get away from a boss. Are you one of the 50%? Yes, oh yes. Like good teachers, I might be able to count good bosses on one hand. Some have been purely hateful.

9) Farmers feel the impact of extreme weather events. Have you ever had a job that required you to be outdoors most of the time?
  I thought about this, and as a social worker I was required to drive from home to court to school to shelters all day, but went inside when I got there. I always thought it would be peaceful to do landscaping work, and be around growing things. I often go outside now when I paint on fabric...
Linking to

 

14 comments:

CountryDew said...

It is nice to be outside. I wish my allergies weren't so bad. Being self employed can indeed be problematic.

The Gal Herself said...

Oh, the martini girls outings sound like fun! Post-menopause, just looking at wine gives me a headache, but the harder stuff is still fine.

Lori said...

I like Allison Krauss. Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Barbara said...

A beautiful rendition of an old favorite song of mine. I never thought of it as country because the version I always heard was by Melanie Safka. She was more folk/rock. James Taylor with Dixie Chicks takes it in the country direction though.

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Had to laugh when I heard this ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37nGeXn2K9c

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Country that my Grandpa sang is really old school. I was shocked at how much it's changed. It's confusing, and even somewhat weaponized but I love to hear the old chords and melodies, buried though they are.
Bosses need to go to school for bosses. Far too many of them get set on Autocrat and sadly, they stay there.
Love your quilt work. and the whole look of your blog.

Sara said...

A really bad boss certainly was one of the reasons I quit one teaching job. My husband is a small business owner (about 35 employees), so I do see how stressful that can be. And we farmed my husband’s family farm for 10 years. I worked off the farm most of that time, but did spend 3 years as a farm hand - mowing 100s of acres of hay, raking it into windrows for baling, feeding 700+ sheep and 50-60 cows. Having grown up in a town I surprised myself at what I learned to do. I still miss the farm in the spring when I see the calves and lambs arriving.

songbird's crazy world said...

I like your answers

Himawan Sant said...

Your answer represents the many people who also choose Subway for a healthier diet.
Regards.

Lisa said...

I did leave a job because of a boss. It broke my heart to leave. When I kid says "My teacher doesn't like me," and we tend to think, oh, don't be dramatic, of course he or she does, believe them. If a boss can dislike you, a teacher can! I was liked by his predecessor, and he, like Trump with Obama's policies, was trying to fill the company with "his" people. Many of the best employees left that fall, and since then not one year has that company been on the "Best Small Companies in Oregon" list! They had been every year prior.
Oh, Subway... my son worked there before the virus put him out of work. You just think it's healthier because it isn't fried! It has it's own problems!

Mevely317 said...

Oh, I want to join a Martini Girls group, too! Here in the Bible belt, it's difficult to find someone who also enjoys an adult libation. I'm loving your description of the poodle on your sidebar. Gospel!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I went thru a country music phase. Too many favorite artists to list. The thing I missed least while on COVID lockdown? My alarm clock!!! The Martini Girls sounds like a really fun group. What's your favorite kind? Mine is a Godiva Chocolatini. Yum!!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Saturday questions on Tuesday!! I lost the weekend. I’m a big fan of John Denver and Willie Nelson. I miss pedicures cause it hurts my back! I’ve always worked for “the man” . No outside jobs, used a time clock, never my own boss. I did it for 50 years mostly as a single mom just tryin to make a livin. I usually left a job for more money or to advance my standing. My favorite beverage when I drank alcohol was a PinkLady-very sweet and wonderfully dangerous. Haha. Alcohol hurts my digestive track now. I would like a subway card but I do like the apple pies at McDonalds. Oh how interesting these questions are.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Strong are the shadows!