Thursday, September 3, 2020

I Like Thursday #209

Mums are back!

 welcome to this week's list of likes... we've had to risk, and pay for, an AC repair and replace a leaking water heater this week. Still.... there are little things to rejoice in, so let's start this party shall we?

the poodle was a bonus buy when you got mums lol
 
 
1)  mums were available at whole foods this week! We got three and they make me so happy to see color on the porch.

Farming


 
2) harvest of a few beans! We have 6 tiny tomatoes growing toward adulthood! the extreme heat broke for a few days allowing us to be in mid 80's instead of 99!

Writing

3) I wrote two "slice of life"  articles this week: Monday's and Tuesday

4)fine dining

  strawberry coffee cake...  and I hunted to find the link to the recipe... could not find it under the link I wrote down and the chef didn't put her watermark over it Update... Pat found the recipe I used! it's 
... but it was delish. We used frozen berries, and it takes a lot of butter, but it is even better cold the next few days. Luckily I printed the recipe before losing the link!!! And discovered a way to see the recipe while preparing it...
I wrote down the source as www.mysliceoflife.com
I think we'll have to try this with other fruit too.


 we discovered vegie burgers (called Beyond Meat burgers) that have the consistency and taste (to us) of beef! They are so good, I am beef intolerant so this makes a nice lunch change from turkey or fish.

Self Expression

thick of waist

tv

6)the big flower fight where teams compete building tall sculptures out of flowers (netflix)
7)Beecham house A wonderful new epic show, unfortunately our PBS only showed episode one and now we have to join passport (monthly fee)  to see the rest. A mystery of a English man who moved to India... the photography and costumes are wonderful! Story looks good, acting is great.
 

quotes

8) I like this quote by the great Molly Ivins... too soon gone...

Molly Ivins once said: "I am not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife. Consider the merits of the knife. In the first place, you have to catch up with someone in order to stab him. A general substitution of knives for guns would promote physical fitness. We'd turn into a whole nation of great runners. Plus, knives don't ricochet. And people are seldom killed while cleaning their knives." 

9)gardening   

I love these little wildflowers that came from a packet of seeds... so "September" right?

Sewing

10) as always I'll do a round up of sewing like this post last week. For now, I had a lot of fun putting this year's Halloween quilt top together. Yep, I've done one a year since we got married, because Halloween is fun and has candy and is a chance to dress up like someone/thing else for a bit.

shocking!

11) checking on the sleeping birds, I saw my usual little girl on her usual perch, and this in the corner!

 

once those birds go to sleep they don't move... all night. But, apparently she noticed a predator moved in, so she took off and we've not seen her since! We saw this fellow swoop through our backyards yesterday evening too, and the neighbor said it was a hawk. Luckily he didn't come back to sleep last night, unfortunately now that the " neighborhood is shot" neither did my plump little girl bird... sad...

12) Youtube show, The Forgers Masterclass   where an actual felon does videos on how to paint like the masters! Now that's turning life around! link: https://www.youtube.com/

 
13) this artist does a comic a day of dogs she sees... at boredpanda

 

The Good Boy Report

 Milo is the one on the bottom left... not one to hang back when there's something to say...

Milo's moments 

Milo: I like people food better than dog food

Mama: here you go darling!

Milo: gulp!

Mama: if you slow down and chew it, you get to taste the food, honey

Milo: there's not enough to chew! 

Mama: well, it's my dinner not yours. I'm just being nice. If you caught a squirrel would you share with Daddy and I? 

Milo: (poodle guffaw!) I mean, there's not enough of a squirrel to share, you know

Mama: well you already had your dinner, this is just a begging bit for you

Milo: about that kibble...Why don't you just make me a plate of what you're having Mama? Don't go to any bother,  I'll have what you're having!

that's a wrap!   before you go... here is the list of other fine people keeping lists of likes too this week!
 in the group but unable to post this week

AND LINKING to these parties, thank you!

24 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

we agree with you Milo... but they are very stingy with their food... we love your mums they have the perfect fall color!!!

Susie H said...

Love the quote and all the benefits of knives! Hahaha! And I agree with you that Halloween is one of the best (if not THE best) holiday!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Awe Milo, you get a wee taste, but it isn't always healthy for you to have mommy and daddy food. The quote about the knives is awesome. Love your Halloween fabrics. Sweet shirt and you are beautiful just the way you are.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the tee shirt...I think I need one! And I always buy big pots of mums when they find there way down here. They just mean Fall to me! Enjoy your day! Hugs!

Sara said...

We had to replace our entire AC system back in June. Pricey, but necessary. And I’m grateful since we had such a hot summer. I have a friend from Rapid City passing through tomorrow and we plan to meet for brunch - in a real restaurant. That will be the first time since early March for me. But I’ve decided to risk it, while taking my precautions of mask and hand washing. They do have an outdoor patio too, so hoping we can eat out there.

Scrapatches said...

I have some of the same color mums! Orange is my favorite. Mine are not quite open yet. Photos coming soon. The cake looks delish. Is it this recipe ... https://www.myslicesoflife.com/2018/07/strawberry-coffee-cake.html?showComment=1595778691131 ... Nutmeg is like Milo about people food. I keep telling her she looks like a dog when she gives me that look. My other cats are happy with their cat food ... well, except when I froth steamed milk for my latte. Maestro and Nutmeg must have their "latte, hold the coffee, extra foam" every morning. Katniss does not understand what the fuss is all about. Thank you for sharing and hosting ... :) Pat

LA Paylor said...

that's it! That's the recipe... I looked and then looked under my history and it was not there! Thanks Pat!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi LeeAnna! I'm sorry you had to have a/c repairs. It is expensive but we went without last summer for a very LONG three days. Your mums are gorgeous1. Makes me want to pick some up at the store for sure. And Milo, it is always a pleasure to see him. ~smile~ Roseanne

Mary Quast said...

I love autumn - the colors, the smell and of course the flavors. Give Milo a hug from me!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Beautiful mums and blanket flowers too...so autumnal. Though I still can't believe we are almost there. You are sure on the ball having your annual Halloween quilt made. Love your t-shirt...for me it would be thick of hips and thighs. Also enjoyed those doggie cartoons and Milo as well. Murphy concurs with him re eating human food.

piecefulwendy said...

Those mums are so pretty! Sorry about the a/c woes, but glad you were able to get it repaired. Milo, is looking as handsome as ever!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your orange mums are so pretty! I need some of those. I love your Halloween quilt beginnings, and also the strawberry coffee cake really sounds yummy! One thing we've learned about birds in the yard is that hawks figure out where the songbirds hang out, and once the hawks come to visit, the songbirds know to skedaddle. It's an interesting cycle to watch!

colleen said...

I'm always drawn to mums...and desserts too, although I don't like baking them.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

The mums are so pretty! Strawberry coffee cake sounds delicious! Love the cute dog comics! Milo is looking good!!

Ann said...

We have lots of hummingbirds that nest in the trees around us. Such fun to watch. They are less territorial right now because it's not mating season. I haven't seen a hawk as close as the one on your porch.

MissPat said...

I love Molly Ivins and really miss her. I got to hear her speak at a library conference in Dallas and she was hysterical. Such a wit and the Texas drawl.
Pat

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I forgot to tell you how much I enjoyed your Tuesday Chooseday post!

PaintedThread said...

Milo is so handsome! Love the mums. Strawberry cake looks good. I've heard lots of good things about Beyond Meat - I've got to try it one of these days. Lots of good things, as usual!

zippiknits...sometimes said...

This is an amazing 13 you created. Thank you for the inspiration.
I love your themed quilt work.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Yeah for mum season! A spot of color as summer perennials fade is good for the gardeners psyche.

Jean said...

Pretty flowers! I loved watching The Great Flower Fight over on Netflix, hope they'll add another season. Very neat hawk (not so much for your other little birds but I'd be fascinated seeing a hawk on my front porch). Hope you're enjoying your weekend.

Anni said...

That reminds me...I have a halloween quilt I made a few years back that I need to unpack & get it out for the season. Your fabrics are top-notch. Love you Milo...human food is good, but your dog food is better for you. Too bad about your bird leaving and making the neighborhood go to the dogs (sorry, no pun intended Milo)

Thank you, as always, for taking time from your day to share your bird sightings this week with us. Much appreciated!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Mil is so cute, he needs more people food. Your Halloween quilt is pretty. I love the flowers and your t-shirt is cute. I've been seeing a hawk around our yard the blue jays will chase it away. Sorry your bird left, I hope it is still safe. Thank your for linking up your post. Enjoy your day, have a great new week!

Arun Goyal said...

Stunning Chrysanthemums.It would be my pleasure if you join my link up party related to Gardening here at http://jaipurgardening.blogspot.com/2020/09/garden-affair-teaching-from-gardening.html