Saturday, August 31, 2019

sewing Saturday

A round-up of sewing for this week... I worked on the lattice quilt some again, taking a risk that sewing and trimming might aggravate my back.
I did okay with it, being careful to only rotary cut close to the edge of the table and not reach while pressing down on the cutter. What did me in was Milo pushing past me on the stairs last night!

grrrr

So there are about 190 blocks so far, filling up my design wall, so I have to come up with a way to put them all up.
I have about another 35 cut out and ready to sew. I looked up the size of a king coverlet and sadly I think I need to do about 20 rows by 20 rows,  and when the above sets are sewn I have 16 rows by 14 rows of blocks. That's a lot of blocks still to make in order to finish the top. I'm thinking if I quilt it, I should sew them into about 4 units 10 rows by 10 rows or 45" square to quilt. then join the quilted sections so if I start making those units now, it would free up more space.

I saw a lovely quilt at Sundance Store last night, but the clerk said it was a sari. No batting, the quilt hand stitched to backing with long running stitches. It felt wonderful. Don't know who'd wear that but it intrigued me for making a small lap quilt that way.

I set a goal of getting the small hand painted mesa piece finished this week, and it is!
I have too much to make to dither one moment more over this! It is about 16" X 20" right now, unquilted. I like it but wish I'd made the painting larger. Funny when you're standing there with paintbrush in hand, it all looks big, certainly bigger than paper I use. I have another long piece to use and decided to give away the smaller one that says inspire, and make a book mark out of the smallest painting.
I see machine quilting matching threads on the color stips, and some hand stitching somewhere. Maybe some motifs, and definitely these gemstone chips after the stitching is done. I think I'll use yellow rayon thread to free motion quilt in some aspen leaves around the trunks... already sandwiched with a SW backing, ready to work.
No more dithering allowed!
It's time to make something with the printed water lilies next, and quilt some other recent work.

This weekend we have a craft show in Manitou Springs and one in Breckenridge to attend, so I'd better get crackin'

Linking to
Midweek makers wednesdays
Esther's blog Wednesdays  
http://emsscrapbag.
design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays
oh Scrap Sundays 
 scrap happy Saturdays

19 comments:

Debbie said...

Looking good! This is getting big,so your idea of quilting in sections to join later is a good one. I did this on a very large quilt years ago before my mid-arm came into my life. There are some tutorials around about how to join and use a binding strips on the back to finish it off. A little hunting and you can find them.

Sara said...

Enjoy those craft shows this weekend. I was hoping to go to the SD state fair but decided I don't want to deal with my walking boot on the fair grounds and just walking the distances in it.

Loving how that SW quilt is looking. The paint and now jewels just takes it up a notch.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Wow- you have been very busy! I stood for an hour Thursday to cut pieces and have paid for it since. I hope to sew today but we'll see. Ugh. Very disappointed my back is not getting better. I was spoiled by my old chiropractor. I love your finished southwest quilt. I admire your tenacity on a king size quilt. Cool.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your lattice quilt is getting prettier and prettier - I love all that scrappy color! The southwestern project is also amazing - so many interesting parts all coming together!

Edith said...

Love the look of your lattice quilt.

The Joyful Quilter said...

A friend just put a lattice quilt together using QAYG. It worked really well for her. Good luck with getting yours done!

Molly the Airedale said...

Love both of your quilts! They are coming along beautifully!

Julie in GA said...

Your lattice quilt is going to be gorgeous (and huge!)

Kaja said...

Wow! Your lattice is fabulous.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Great looking lattice quilt. For your SW piece, how about a Kokopeli silhouette stitched into one of those bottom squares?

Angie in SoCal said...

I have a lattice quilt on my list - even have the fabric. Now if I could find the time. Your's is great.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

That lattice quilt is quite striking. Good luck completing it.

AnnieO said...

Your lattices look lovely. Sewing together in blocks sounds like a great way to make a huge top more manageable. I have never tried QAYG but there are many good methods I've seen elsewhere. Gorgeous work on your painted piece.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A very striking 'lattice' quilt! Love the scrappy mix of colours!

Rebecca Grace said...

Your Lattice and Mesa quilts are both so striking! I’m intrigued by the Sari you saw that seemed like a quilt, but without batting. About 15 years ago, an Americam woman who was married to an Indian man commissioned me to work on something that might be similar to what you saw. It seemed like a very flat, lightweight quilt and the stitching securing the layers went through like quilting stitches, but there was no batting. She had purchased this blanket in India and had me attach a separate home dec fabric backing and rope cord trim so she could use it as a duvet cover. Ended up weighing a ton... If I had that to do over I’d have used an extra wide cotton quilt backing fabric instead of the heavy home dec fabric!

Rebecca said...

I am loving every time I see your lattice blocks. I enjoy the difference in contrast, variety of colors, and the different light/dark blocks.

I like your southwest quilt, also. I notice you went with the decisions that I voted for, so of course I like the result!

KaHolly said...

I agree that quilting in sections would be productive. I handquilted one that way and it was so much easier to manage. I currently have a machine quilted one in progress, too, and again, it’s just so darned manageable. Go for it!

Beth said...

I love your lattice quilt. I just got one back from the quilter made with my hand dyed fabrics.

em's scrapbag said...

Your hand painted piece is fabulous! Thanks for sharing with Moving it Forward.