Friday, August 23, 2019

Paint Party Friday

They say, write what you know... so I paint what I know...
It's been so hot here, that we've taken to the porch for a calm moment after lunch each day this week, and I decided I might try to capture a moving target!!
I realized a lot goes into a sketch, what with viewing angle, movement of subject, light and shadow. I didn't have this photo to go by that day, just the constant movement of a 2 year old!
I fretted that I got his leg too long, but he said to me,
don't worry Mama, my legs ARE long!
(I used tombow markers, on sketchbook thin paper, and water... the paper cannot handle this, note to self)
One of the "I Like Thursday" bloggers included three outstanding photos of flowers in her yard, so I attempted to capture them in the sketchbook. As you can see I'm grappling with shadow and line. I used my staedtler fineliner in gray to sketch (no pencil this time) (very brave) and the tombow markers because they were right there, and the white gel pen.


challenging to get shadows from colors but I try to imagine the photo in black and white, and I learn from doing. Tombow are too harsh on sketch paper, so I think I might have liked plain watercolors on top of the pen/ink sketches, and on good paper.
As you can tell, I've not watched painting tutorials this week, just painted from the heart. I do like to do little emotional works now and then. Unfortunately I can't quite capture the subtle shading here with my camera, but I like the composition.
The paper gave way to the pens again, will I learn? on my lady's eye to the right. I like the gesture of a neighbor walking by and the wall is just a thing of beauty, with hands reaching across it, connection being made. Done with KOI watercolors, waterbrush, staedtler pen in gray. There is a light blue wash on sky and light green on bottom, not showing in photo.
I keep notes in my sketchbook too... one day I just painted swatches of color to see the lines they created as they intersected. KOI florescent colors with waterbrush on thin sketchbook paper. As an afterthought, I wrote a short sentence on my feelings at that moment. The whole thing very momentary and free. I share it with you here, because that's what I do, but it's an example of capturing a split second in life in a journal page.

And we started with poodles, so I'll finish with two of my loves, flamingos and poodles... a flamoodle?
why not?

Linking to
Pink Saturday!
https://paintpartyfriday.blogspot.com/
Create, Bake, Grow & Gather Link Party

21 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

I love love love the pink poodle!!! and yes it it too hot for hunting and too hot for anything...

JFM said...

How colorful and wonderful these all are...love them!
Love the real doggy, too :)
Happy PPF!!!

sirkkis said...

Just creative colorful and fun art pieces. Pink is impressive color.
Happy PPF 💗

Molly the Airedale said...

Your paintings are so wonderful and colorful. Love them all!

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Do you pronounce it fla moodle of flam oodle ? :)
great moments with paint!

we're in for a heat wave the coming week!

stay cool
Joanne

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely art, the poodle is my fave today. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You must be very pleased with all these sketches, LeeAnna. They are wonderful. You captured the sweet william and the coneflower beautifully. And of course, your Milo with his very long legs. Thank you for sharing your talent!

Sandee said...

It was 101 yesterday. Supposed to be 91 today. I can live with that.

Always a treat to see Milo.

Have a fabulous day and weekend. ♥

sirkkis said...

Thank you LeeAnna for commenting. You do not need to do the test. It's not necessary, but I can't take it away 😙
Have great time 😊🦋

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Squeals...love the poodle painting❣️❣️❣️

Unknown said...

All things pink are wonderful. The Poodle Flamingo is priceless.

Cynthia

Linda Kunsman said...

wonderful sketchbook art- and I love the color you gave to your poodle:) Happy PPF!

Christine said...

Lovely art this week!

Sue (this n that) said...

oooh Leanna, painting from the heart is exactly the way to go. Each one of yours is so charming. The gorgeous poodle with his sweet curls, and those flowers! wow... they pop so beautifully. The neighbours are gorgeous and I'm totally in admiration of Flamoodle. Happy PPF :D)

denthe said...

Flamoodle, hahaha :-) I like that! And also your pink/purple poodle. So cute ... He does indeed have very long legs! Love how you did the flowers. I like the combination of bright watercolours with black fineliner. And that wall between the 2 neighbours ... wish I had a wall like that here. Makes me happy to look at it :-) Hope you'll have a great weekend ♥

Recep Hilmi TUFAN | rehitu.com said...

You are so good at this job. Congrats!

LV said...

You are talented. Love what you shared. I can relate to the heat as in Texas we burning up.

PaintedThread said...

I love purple Milo!

Laura Quaglia (Fun With This and That) said...

Like the pink
Hope stop by
HPS
Laura

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

The pink poodle!!! I love it!! your drawings and art are really pretty!

QuiltGranma said...

So glad you are playing with paint and color on paper. Have you tried Mix Media note books and water color pencils? You might just like the effect! FUN!