Saturday, August 17, 2019

sewing saturday

It's been a week of hand sewing because of my back issues. I suspect rotary cutting is antagonizing it. But... along with the EPP hexie project being done at night, I did a little paper piecing.
By a little I mean 3' finished blocks...
One was from the internet free, and this one is from my software Sew Precise.
A while back I painted 4 pieces in neutrals to remind me of living in the west. Note I went back and drew on mesa's along the bottom of this one.
I took white strips and painted black aspen bark and they are just lying on it at the moment. I wanted to give the piece more ooomph so out came the scrap bag of cherrywood hand dyed strips and two different paper pieced blocks. These little flying geese finish at 3".
Of course I can't decide which way to face them, to insert some color, to go around the painted piece first.

this design part takes most of my time. I think I'll make a whole separate piece with the star blocks, making some more to go with them. I'll have to figure out what to do with the geese, as I want them somehow on this piece.
I learned, I love the cherrywood colors even though they are not bright. I hate using them piecemeal like this though, as they are in gradient strips, I feel I should be using them on string projects in order of color.

Linking to
https://emsscrapbag.blogspot.com/
design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays

6 comments:

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I like the backgrounds on those star blocks. I also like the last photo of your design for the geese and hand painted mesa. Those aspens are very cool. It's such fun to watch your process.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Love those aspen trees! They'll be coming into season soon. Where has the time gone?

Molly the Airedale said...

Your project is coming along fabulously! Love your color choices and we can't wait to see your progress!

Julierose said...

Love love love the colors--so rich...nice work hugs, Julierose

piecefulwendy said...

I've been testing some little paper-pieced blocks, but not as small as yours. Love the colors you're using!

em's scrapbag said...

Hope your back feels better soon. Your blocks are lovely. Thanks for sharing with moving it forward.