Monday, February 14, 2022

V day quilts and music

 

every year since I married I make a Valentine quilt. Some years they are bed sized, some time small like this one. I actually had to make it in three days, oops. I started with my box of watercolor squares 2" and multi colored. 

I just sewed them together... and then decided to finish the edges, using piping and a turned seam. I had some red piping the right size in my scrap box, and glue basted it in place

trimmed, and sewed the backing to this using the zipper foot and going slowly. Leaving a small space to turn it inside out, 

the backing was a computer scrap... it's been a year of doing things on computer... oy vey

but then I talked to my friend Cindy and said shall I applique it onto a background?

 She suggested just beading it and hanging as a wall ornament... just what I wanted but was thinking it was too Becky Homecky (in the words of clothing designer on project runway) for beads. 

I cut a piece of peltex to give it body, stuffed it in and quilted the whole thing with gold threads

 chose some beads to use


I put gold and red bugle beads for X's or hugs, some gold balls and made fringe for the bottom

I hung it from the mantel and am thrilled with how fast it came together
 

didn't use these... maybe next year

 I made another quick heart quilt I'll share later for Table Scraps challenge... stay tuned and now

For the love songs I'm showcasing this month...

remember my friends I love you just the way you are....


 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaA3YZ6QdJU&list=RDGMEMQ1dJ7wXfLlqCjwV0xfSNbA&index=21

and a special song for me...

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id_UYLPSn6U

because I pretty much knew my husband when I saw his face the first time... as if I recognized him

has that happened to you?

linking to


lovelaughquilt.mondays

14 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

wonderful song... a happy valentines day to you

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Fabulous Valentine. I especially love the dangling bead fringe.

My name is Erika. said...

I love this heart mini-quilt. And Happy Valentine's Day to you too!

Joanne said...

Thanks LeeAnna for bringing a lot ove love and colour and beautiful things to the first half of February !
Hugs,
Joanne

Sara said...

Definitely NOT becky home-ecky!! It's very cute and I especially love the beading you added.

Kim said...

Love Roberta Flack's 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face'. Love too your little Valentine's heart. The fringe beading at the bottom is just right. I'm impressed you fashion a Valentine's Day heart every year.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

The beads are a lovely addition to this sweet piece. Well done.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those sure are pretty. Happy Valentine's Day from all of us!

PaintedThread said...

I love how you make these every year. :-)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That's one incredible wall hanging heart.

Kathleen said...

Fun heart quilt...and it really is extra fun with the beads. Love how you just have stuff in your stash to make it all come together. I got rid of my beads a few years ago, but I have a feeling they will reappear at some point. My mother loved the Roberta Flack song, and as her daughter, I do too.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

So cute! and what a sweet tradition!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Love your Valentine's quilt! I also love the tradition of making a new one each year--almost like renewing your vows. I fell in love the second I saw my husband too! It was like magic. So wonderful to share that feeling with you. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW sweet, LeeAnna!! I'd love to hear how you accomplished that piped binding.