Saturday, February 19, 2022

sewing Saturday and Morning on Mirror Lake

Welcome to this week's sewing round up!

"Morning on Mirror Lake" 16.5" X 25" 

 

The prompt at Project Quilting this week was "diamonds" and this is my finished work, which was to be started and finished within the week.

I call this "Morning on Mirror Lake" it's 16.5" X 25"

I put the green edge treatment on to "face" this one, and when I folded and clipped it all back we tested it on DH's office wall. The piece melted into the wall  color and looked unfinished so, that's why I left a tiny bit of binding showing.

It was made from the blue and blue-green scrap bins... strip piecing then cutting diamonds, diamonds pieced together in diagonal rows.

during quilting with cotton and metallic threads

 
blocking and trimming before binding
 

We used to visit Lake Placid NY every late summer, spending 10 days in peace and clean air... looking out our balcony at the yellow sunlight burning off fog over the lake, hearing loons, watching ducks on our grass below us, seeing employees setting up chairs for the day, drinking cups of strong coffee before taking the 3.5 mile walk around Mirror lake to start the day. 

detail of quilting

We'd shop, have meals, go to the Olympic skating rink to watch adults take classes, sit by the water and sun, walk down to the boat landing area to read or bead( me) and never get back in the car the whole week. We usually had a novel that we took turns reading aloud to each other, as we sat on the balcony drinking a glass of wine before dinner.

morning light is so gentle

A winery and a brewery were within walking distance too... ahhhhh we are missing it so

I am grateful for the prompt, and my box of scraps, my love of improvisational sewing of tiny strips together to see what happens. This happened...

 We wistfully remember our times at Lake Placid. This song is called Summer me, winter me...

for today's love music in honor of February... one of my favorite romantic songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3T-h7Rk8ec
  

linking to: 

off the wall Fridays 
http://busyhandsquilts.blogspot.com/

myquiltinfatuation Thursdays

https://fortheloveofgeese.com/

 http://www.inquiringquilter.com/ Wednesday wait loss

 design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays

patchwork Sunday                    
oh Scrap Sundays 
 

 

33 comments:

Julie in GA said...

I love your little quilt of scrappy diamonds! It is a beautiful, peaceful scene. Your description of Lake Placid makes me want to go there.

Joanne said...

Gorgeous diamonds make the lake shine !
Looks great LeeAnna !

Turid said...

This little quilt is so beautiful. I love all things scrappy.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Gorgeous quilt!!! Love it!

My name is Erika. said...

You did a wonderful job creating the scene. I love how you can tell its a scene but it is a bit abstract. And you can't go wrong with Barbara Streisand, can you? Happy weekend!

Sara said...

That does sound like a wonderful place to have a relaxing vacation. This piece is really beautiful and certainly does make me think of the sky reflecting in a quiet lake. Great job!!!

Kathleen said...

What a lovely quilt to remember such wonderful times! Hope you have a lovely weekend.

MissPat said...

Your PQ is a perfect remembrance of Lake Placid. That Barbra song was one of the songs on our playlist years ago when we first met. We have nearly every album Barbra made. Back to yesterday's post, Wordle stumped me for the first time this week, I think on Wed. Very windy and cold today with snow squalls, but sunny at the moment.
Pat

Pam Dempsey said...

Love your piece, so pretty! Mirror lake sounds beautiful, want to go! Is the late summer not too hot up there?

doloresquilts said...

Lovely!

Maggie said...

Beautiful memories of the lake. Love the diamonds and the use of colour to create this beautiful quilt.

PaintedThread said...

Really, really pretty. I love the colors and the layout!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is really amazing, LeeAnna! You have such an eye for color and shape placement. I can see the sky and lake and shore!

Mary in Boulder said...

What a great piece through which to remember such a special place. I hope you and Drew get back to Lake Placid one day!

Laura said...

I love this so much. Works so well for the reflection. Now to figure out how you constructed it as I tried HRT and I had alot of problem. You are doing such a great job of keeping yourself creative during this horrible time.

piecefulwendy said...

That is a gorgeous little mini, LeeAnna! You have such a beautifully creative mind! I love it.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Those blues are so exquisite!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful quilt, I love the scrappy diamonds with so many little details on them! Such a lovely finish!
Thank you for sharing and linking up ;)

The Joyful Quilter said...

It's SEW beautiful, LeeAnna!!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Oh my this is absolutely gorgeous! You really have talent, LeeAnna!

Susie H said...

Oh my, LeeAnna! I could hear the wistfulness in your words (voice). Your holidays at Lake Placid sound like pure Heaven to me. You need to get out and find somewhere now near you and make Heaven #2 memories. Your quilt is beautiful. I hope it inspires you to find another slice of Heaven.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your use of color is always so spot on. I love this little project. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

grammajudyb said...

It really is fabulous, LeeAnna! And your story about Lake Placid is so descriptive too! Sounds like a great place to visit!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Love your diamonds, they are so pretty, I can almost see
the water sparkling. Have a great day!

Kim said...

Your "improvisational sewing of tiny strips together" has indeed created a most beautiful quilt! All those diamonds give me a sense of the beauty of Lake Place NY and of the happy times you spent there. It is always a good day when one hears a song from the one and only Barbra. A beautiful romantic song. Funnily enough, I have these last couple of weeks been reading about the sublime collaboration of Barbra Streisand, and Alan and Marilyn Bergman, the lyricists of this song. Marilyn Bergman passed away last month and it has been enlightening to see interviews with the three of them.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

That is just gorgeous! I am amazed at how you chose all the colors perfectly, the whole piece truly does remind one of a lake! xx

PersimonDreams said...

This is gorgeous! your fabric and color choices are wonderful!

Sandy Panagos said...

Even if your diamonds wall hanging did't blend in with the wall I think the green you left around it looks great. And what sounds great? The summer trips to Lake Placid. Ahhhhh.

Sharon Kwilter said...

That is so beautiful. You made perfect fabric choices.

Quilting Babcia said...

You had the perfect blending of scraps, this is gorgeous.

Kris said...

oooo I love that.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Lovely! Perfect reminder of dreamy times spent by a lake. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Elizabeth said...

This quilt looks amazing!
Such a 'simple'pattern with a stunning result!

love from Holland