Saturday, February 26, 2022

Table Scraps love for February... where or when

Welcome to my sewing round up for the week!

 This is my "Table Scraps Challenge" piece for February. Thank you to Joy for issuing the challenge to keep us sewing from the treasure that a scrap box provides! She suggested "improv" and that's how I usually work...

Using my box of turquoise scraps and squares left from making this really improv piece...


 in series with last month's red challlenge improv piece

not joined together... at the moment I'm not sure if I want to make a larger art piece from three colors or have all these finished alone. So to leave my options open, I am not finishing the turquoise one as table scraps. I had some leftover squares from digging through the  scrap bin though and so I made this, spur of the moment, and for Valentines day added in a heart from fusible scraps



quilted it and used gold bugle beads around the appliqued heart. It counts as improvisational as I didn't plan it, just sewed pretty squares, then used batik strips to finish it off, and impulsively fused on a heart


and because it's meant to cover a bedside table, I did a machine binding (sew to the wrong side, then top stitch to the front of the quilt by machine. 

this one will have to wait a bit to be finished, but it's becoming a favorite as I look at it on the design wall. My series of improv works will all have off the cuff geese, scrap blocks, some kind of squares. This one got applique flowers from the fusible scrap box. The red repeats across the quilt and is complimentary to turquoise or green blue. 

I worked very hard on my stay at home Round Robin but don't feel comfortable sharing too much on it yet. 

The current prompt is to include a row of shoofly blocks. I googled them and looked at lots and decided the elements I would include would be a center square, with my tropical prints, and little black triangles and if it all works out they will be like postcards around glamingo


 

for today's music of love, in February...one of the most romantic songs... where or when...


 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-ndV1Tgino&list=PLpi_Ckd6ADLyG-2mAeCN0qjyBTcLqs6l2&index=71

LINKING WITH

 table scraps

11 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I like your kind of table scraps. Your mini quilts are really beautiful.

Sara said...

My brain hurts when I try for totally inprov sewing, but your artistic soul shines when you play with scraps. Your paper "view finders" are very clever and will really help with the fussy cutting.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love your sewing with scraps! I have no idea why blogger prevented you from commenting on my blog. I hate driving in Boston. I always make my husband do the driving! It is a fun city to visit. I love their restaurants. Enjoy your weekend!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for linking to the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge, LeeAnna. The finished and the unfinish piece are both gorgeous!! I'm looking forward to discovering what you will ultimately choose to do with your wild and wonderful RSC Improv work.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is so pretty! I love the pop of the heart on top of the teal patchwork!

grammajudyb said...

I’m liking Both of your improv pieces. The appliqué heart on the teal squares is adorable! Then you added bugle beads! Fabulous! I think it would be fun to have a whole gallery of individual improv minis!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely table runner, I love the bugle beads around the heart. And your two improv panels are beautiful! Fun red and green spots!
Thank you for sharing these little pieces of art and linking up today!

Kathleen said...

Nice work on your scraps! Mine are still waiting for the chopping block..which I am headed to shortly. Look forward to seeing your SAHRR.

Becca Fenstermaker said...

Oh, wow, you've been busy. Love those improv quilts! Thanks for linking up to TGIFF.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your Improv pieces are amazing!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Love your adorable table scrap! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.