Monday, August 10, 2020

the power of song and verse

I wanted to share something that affected me this week...


this video made a great impact on me...Joni is a little over a decade older than I am but I grew up with her.
I always related to her lovely voice, the roller coaster of sound, soulful to tinkling, and the words... yes the words that expressed feelings.

There is just so much soul in women of my age... a depth from growing up in a time when we were not considered the center of the universe, we were expected to contribute, to fit in, while burning our bras and protesting injustice. We had to do it all while fighting men who would take advantage of us then pat us on the head like a pet.

As I listened to Joni talk about her journey, these little gems fell out of her, and I paraphrase:

"even with all the injustice in the world, you try to get your heart to rebound and bloom again

depression can be the sand that makes the pearl

and, some people call it a breakdown, some people call it a shamanic conversion"

yes,  I understand turning points in one's life, forks in the road and decisions made and lived with, letting go and reaching for more.
Near the end of the video she sings Both sides now (clouds) and it's heart mending...
but it's this song, River that really touches me always. Enjoy this young woman, who is also affected by the poetry of Joni Mitchell, and interpreted the song...



8 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

I like her voice and I hope there is a way to let us bloom again

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

How true. Thank you

Sara said...

I grew up listening to Joni Mitchell too. Love her voice!

sonja said...

well said
well sang
both sides now is anthem to me and applies to many pieces of my work! thank you

Mary in Boulder said...

Beautiful interpretation of "River."

Ann said...

I listened to her, too. What a beautiful voice. Weren't we lucky to grow up when we did? Expected to contribute makes a happier life even with the limitations. And doesn't that experience generate sympathy and understanding of some of the challenges facing POC.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Beautiful Joni!

Miaismine said...

Beautiful post...thank you!