Thursday, August 27, 2020

I like Thursday #208

 

Welcome to this week's list of likes... amidst all the stress, we strive to find joy and comfort, right?

1) I like my mantel... and feel like I have my own gallery exhibit of recent work to enjoy!

Gardening

2)I like that I found a volunteer petunia in the planter holding one of my little bean plants

Farming

I loved seeing actual fruit on the tomato plant this week!

3) It's been hot, nearly 100 F every day for a long time now, and smoky from 4 out of control wild fires in CO plus one blowing in from California. I can't be outside without getting side effects from the smoke but we went out to water the vege and DH found four little tiny tomatoes trying to grow!! Monika told me to flick/thump the plants to start the fruit. It worked on this one but the other one just cried, "stop hitting me! Isn't it enough I'm too hot, and can't drink enough ?" and the flowers just wither on the plant.The beans are kind of withering too, not ripe to pick but looking dried out. 

Fine Dining

4)we found english muffins this week at the store, so with butter and melted cheddar, and a side of turkey sausage, we had a good breakfast. 

We also made spaghetti sauce with turkey sausage because that's what they had, and the next night we made lasagna with the left over sauce, ricotta cheese, spices, spinach, mozzarella and parm cheeses. Yum! We have enough for several more meals... win win. The sausage was spicy but on the lasagna tasted great!

Social

room for one... only...

for several nights there was only one, original, bird sleeping over... what happened to the others??

5) Chatted with several friends this week, what happiness!! zoomed with Joy! emailed with others, connections... it's a good thing. 

6) I joined a lovely link party called T is for Tuesday, and am getting to know some really wonderful women through that! My post this week came out good,  with some Doobie Brothers music too, I'd love you to see it HERE

reading

7) I finished a couple books, and read another Ellie Alexander but it was quite short and our library doesn't have many of hers in Ebook form, sad. 

Listening

8)I finished the first "book and scone society" book in the series (I had just listened to #2 out of order) and am waiting to hear the third book. For now I'm listening to Susan Wiggs story  Oyster Sewing Society. I love listening to audio books in the studio.

I don't like the hunt for ones to hear, but have enjoyed most all of the ones so far.

9)TED talks... David Brooks  on happiness  

https://www.ted.com/talks/david_brooks_the_lies_our_culture_tells_us_about_what_matters_and_a_better_way_to_live#t-881994

 

10)I love the pink ukelele dh found for me!! I haven't played it yet tho...   I like that dh can take his guitar lessons on zoom... here he is in his office...

Watching

11) I found this series on youtube, called absolute history, story of  building a castle and am watching #3. I plan to go back and watch all 5 in the series... fascinating account of historians building a castle with the same techniques as originally used. This episode is in how a castle would have been painted, decorated and used inside. Plus how the tiles were formed. We are used to seeing them as relics but they were plastered inside and painted bright colors, with tapestries on the walls!

 just interesting

12) On August 15 in 1843, the amusement park known as Tivoli Gardens opened in Copenhagen, Denmark. It's the second oldest amusement park in the world; the oldest is in nearby Klampenborg. Denmark's King Christian VIII agreed to grant the charter to the park's founder, Georg Carstensen, after Carstensen pointed out that "when the people are amusing themselves, they don't think about politics." He designed it mainly as a pleasure garden, with flowers, cafés, theaters, and bandstands set in a lovely park setting. Today, almost none of Carstensen's original park remains; in 1943, Nazi sympathizers bombed it, burning most of the buildings to the ground, but rebuilding started immediately and the park reopened just a few weeks later.

In 2009, Tivoli Gardens became the first amusement park to operate entirely on wind-generated power.

Making

13) painting post tomorrow, here's a tease... 


 

Sewing post on Saturday with lots to share... a tease....I LOVE elephants! Now I have two in studio!

MILO's MOMENTS

Milo here, I like to chase things... like critters.... and I've seen some mighty large ones this week. There's a set of raccoons that hang out in front of our house at night... you outta see 'em! I don't start anything because I'm smart and they are just about as big as a big poodle!

I like to be outside in case there are bunnies or squirrels to chase too... but... it's been too hot. The smoke makes me sneeze and my ears hurt too... so I only chase bunnies on our nature hunts. 

Mama: er, Milo? those are just walks for you to do business, not hunts

Milo: well, you say tomato, I say tomahto... humans have the weirdest ideas!

now sit! Stay! visit these people also keeping lists this week!


https://www.mmmquilts.com/  (who also has a tute on the new blogger!)
 
LINKING TO

http://www.rainfrances.com/p/thursday-art-date-with-rain.html


43 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

we love love love your mantel... that is such a good idea to make it to your own louvre!!!

Meditations in Motion said...

I never heard of flicking a plant to get it to start fruiting. I'm going to try that with my tomatoes next year. Unless they cry like yours did! :)

Roseanne said...

Hi LeeAnna! I LOVE the volunteer petunia in with the beans. A little fun splash of brightness. Tivoli Gardens was supposed to be on our visit list for this year. Darn it. Isn't it a cool thought to harness all that wind power?! I would have loved to add something like that to my home when we built it in 2008 but to was way too cost prohibitive. Same with solar roof panels plus there wasn't a service tech in any of the surrounding states. Ah, Milo. You are a peach of a pup. ~smile~ Roseanne

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Awe you came up with some awesome likes. Never heard that about the tomato....may want to be careful, you may get reported for fruit/veggie abuse. Maybe all the wind here helps. Sorry the heat, and smoke is making things tough. We are just hot and humid. Love Milo's hunts. Bobbin does the same thing, but sometimes she gets so busy she forgets to potty. Sigh.

Sara said...

I always wonder how those volunteer plants get started in a new spot. I moved my back deck flower pots into a shady spot due to the nearly 100 degree heat we've had for about a week. Not everything in that pot is surviving however, even in the shade. The smoke in the air would keep me inside too.

Brian's Home Blog said...

WOW, that really is such a nice bunch of thankful and we do like your pink ukelele. Milo, I agree pal, it's been way too hot for a game of chase. Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Everything is baking here - flowers, trees, grass, veggies, poodles - even us! I'm ready for some cooler weather - maybe soon. I loved the Oysterville Sewing Circle - anything by Susan Wiggs really. And English muffins - yum!

grammajudyb said...

Lots of likes today! Your teases will be fun to see. One reminded me of an original painting give to me by my sister. The artist is in Rapid City SD.
I really need to get back in the habit of listening to audio books. Thanks or this I Like platform,

Shannon said...

A bunch of cool things! I'm so glad your tomatoes are tomatoeing and I'm sorry about the awful smoke and fires. It's scary and awful and also just irritating that you can't be outside. I love the idea of that history show on youtube! I'll have to look for it. I love english muffins too but I never think to buy them. I'm going to add them to my grocery list now! I like to make egg and cheese sandwiches with them for breakfast. And your elephant is adorable. Can't wait for the full post. hugs to Milo!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Yes, joy and comfort are important lately. The wildfire are scary and I am sure it is not good to breathe i the smoke. I hope it is not too bad. Your mantel and art work are pretty. I always enjoy seeing Milo and his moments. Take care, enjoy your day!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

A pink ukelele? Oh...I am SO in love with that! Can't wait to see a pic of you playing it. I love your mantle too and the art you've done this summer. You are SO talented! I'm baking home made hamburger buns right now. They smell amazing! Hugs!

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds like a good week to me! Your Milk is handsome. Nice art and sewing too.I listen to audio books while doing other things, too. Have a nice day, Valerie

Scrapatches said...

Good Morning, LeeAnna ... love your little mantle gallery ... and your pink ukelele! Thank you for sharing your week with us ... :) Pat

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, that PURPLE elephant with polka dot ears... SEW sweet!!!

Christine said...

Lovely art and post!

Tamar SB said...

You have such a green thumb!! Love the elephant!!

pilch92 said...

Nice list of thankfuls. You are so talented with your art.

PaintedThread said...

Wow - your list of links is getting so big! Yay for gardening and connecting on zoom. I love your elephant.

Milo! You'd have fun chasing the bunnies around here.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Ver nice this Posting, the dog is very pretty and the piece from still life is beautiful!
Greetings Elke

Sandra Walker said...

Thanks for the shout-out about my new and annoying blogger tute! Just writing my I Like post I found out they've changed the add URL link popup, ugh! The 'test this link' is gone... (shakes head). Any-who, I am sending that YouTube castle-building link to my grandson. There are so many good things on YouTube! Love your mantel, and that pink ukelele, too cool. That makes me think of another positive from the pandemic: Zoom. It is fabulous for all kinds of things from yoga to music to visiting. :-) I never heard of thumping the fruit. I don't miss the forest fires smoke we used to smell every summer when we lived in Alberta. Thanks so very much for being such a wonderful host for this LeeAnna!

piecefulwendy said...

That petunia knows how to bloom where it is planted! You've reminded me that I used to make english muffins. Maybe I should try it again. Wilbs says that he just talks to the chipmunks and coons from inside the house, and maybe a good growl would make Milo feel better.

CountryDew said...

You've been very busy. I never heard of thumping tomatoes to make them ripen. New one on me!

Carol Swift said...

That elephant is adorable and so is the pink ukulele. No garden for us this year, so it's nice to see yours producing a thing or two. Sweet Milo! I actually wrote an "I Like" post today...late of course.

MissPat said...

You've got a tenacious little petunia there. I've had an occasional one pop up, often in the weirdest places. The heat is probably the reason you haven't gotten very many tomatoes. They don't set fruit well when it gets over 90 and you've had a lot of that. Cute little elephant and a pink ukelele. Not much going on here. My quilt group is going to try to meet in Sept.
Pat

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

I love the idea of showing your artwork on the mantel. I look forward to seeing more of your two teasing photos. The elephant looks adorable.

-Soma

Angie said...

LA - thanks for hosting!!! So glad to be back. I have to say that taking a week break from hosting Mosaic Monday gave me time to do some other things, and I am so grateful for that. It makes me think that maybe during the summer I should only host every other week. Your mantel is another testimony to your talent! We had quite a few smoky days, but the wind changed directions and we are back to blue skies. That elephant is adorable! Enjoy the rest of your week!

Miaismine said...

Ok. I love that elephant...really is so cute! Congratulations on your tomatoes!It's exciting to see the first fruits of our labor isn't it? I wonder if you might like a Monday linky party called It's Monday! What Are You Reading? over at The Book Date? Hugs.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Lol on Milo. Love the Doobie Bros on your Tues post. I need to eat at your house with use good meals. I like your mantel and displaying our “stuff”. Yay for real tomatoes. What a fun post (except for heat and smoke).

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Those not “use”

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Your ukelele is soooo cute! I got the Husband one several years ago for his birthday. I pick it up now and then and play a make-up song with the few chords I can remember.
Your art gallery is very cool, LeeAnna. I put up a bunch of the Husband's art work around the work. They're from his younger days. He says he's done with painting and drawing, but I say he never knows. :-) I feel refreshed and lighthearted again, after visiting you. Thank you much.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry I'm late visiting. My internet has been down all afternoon and early evening. You have a fun packed post today, dear LeeAnna. Your photos are incredible, your art is amazing and I love your gardening with the petunia in the beans, your farming, and your fine dining. This was one amazing art and photo filled joy to read, dear.

DVArtist said...

This is truly a very nice post. I am sorry you are getting so much smoke. Good to know about thumping the tomato plant. Mine, I have 2 so many tomatoes it's crazy. However, here it is too cold for them and they are having a hard time turning red. On the roma plant they have just begun to turn. On the big tomato not yet. Your art is wonderful, and I like your gourmet meal. We are making food stretch. Unless we go into the city the shelves are sparse here. Nice ukelele. Have a very nice evening.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Great post! Love your petunia! I am impressed with your pink ukelele!!! Milo's hair looks a little long! I'm keeping Scout's as short as possible until the winter. Stay well and safe!

colleen said...

There's always flowers and music to get us through. I think I should put that amusement park on my bucket list. I grew up in an Amusement Park town, sadly, torn down in the '80s.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

You sure don't let yourself get bored and you are all the better for it. This was quite a journey ... can't wait to see what you are up to next week :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I'm not sure we've met before, I've popped over from A stitch in Time friday smiles. Nice to meet you and Loving Milo, I'm afraid he has rather distracted me from everything else actually. Have a great weekend, Angela x

Mari said...

Holy cow, Leeanna, great minds really do think alike! I just had my students watch the David Brooks TED Talk and we discussed it today in class. Obviously you a re a woman of refinement and taste! :) Have a good weekend!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I watched David on that TED talk too and it was so good. I will definitely be checking out the YouTube Absolute History videos..right up my alley. Thanks.
I love that you both have creative pursuits. Must be a great vibe in your home and Milo is so lucky to have such parents.
Sorry about the smoke...it seems these days if it's not one thing, it's another.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Little volunteers are a gardener's balm for the soul.

dq said...

THe amusement park story was interesting. I am glad you shared it! People do need to get out or stay home and HAVE FUN! We need to lighten up!

I enjoyed seeing snippets of your happy week including seeing your husband take lessons online.

Volunteer flowers popping up and tomatoes growing are also certainly happy little moments!

Rain said...

Hi LeeAnna :) Oh you have tomatoes! Mine look like that too, and it's been so cold at night, I hope they turn red, yours too! And that English muffin with melted cheddar...makes me crave them now! I used to eat crumpets a lot too, can't find them anywhere anymore! The pink ukulele is too cute! As is your elephant and Milo! :)

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Your mantel looks so nice with your art work on display. I love the pink ukulele! It's so nice to know we can still take classes during a pandemic. So glad we have the Internet! I love your sneak peak painting and sewing projects.

Mary Quast said...

I love how artistic your photos are. It's nice to see the world through your eyes.