Saturday, August 8, 2020

flower series my art


I have finished two, almost three more flower quilts, and today will show rose cottage...


this is from my original painting, printed onto fabric in gray scale then colored with prisma color pencils. 

All the color came from pencil, shading came mostly from the gray scale printing.












All the challenge quilts are 12" square, so I start with peltex cut to size, and design the quilt to fit the batting, as the units above show. I pieced little green scraps first, then trimmed to fit on left and right sides of the flower fabric.
 
fussy cut out the sections of this that made me smile for top and bottom, along with some others
positioning some to keep the trees, and walkway traveling up and down the sides for continuation.
 
time to quilt it with rayon and metallic threads, and thread paint the flower heavily...
After it's heavily quilted, I need an edge treatment...I used one green fabric on top and bottom, and one lighter green for sides of the tiny 1/8th inch binding, then found the beads I wanted to go around the outside...

These four shots should let you see the detail... I love this one!!!
the next finished piece in the flower series is an intricate applique work. 
with each quilt, I try things I've not done yet, I try to change one or two things from the ones before, and I've now finished 5, almost 6 of them. 

I've teased the applique one, and plan to showcase it next Wednesday. I was waylaid by two migraines last week or this would have gone in on Wednesday. 

I'll leave you with a tease on the one almost finished... it has hand embroidery... I'll show 6 of them when I get to this one's post...
working small and in series has taught me a lot

Robert Hayden said,
“Art is not an escape, but a way of finding order in chaos, a way of confronting life.”

LINKING TO

16 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Love your quilt and your painting!!! I love this series! Very inspiring LeeAnna! Cheers!

Barbara said...

Thee are so making me itch to try something like them that I can handle. The beads are the finishing touch. They are beautiful!

Debbie said...

I know we all love to try new things, and play with patterns.....but, girl, this is your voice. This is where you speak the loudest. The addition of traditional strpe piecing to your painted work is fabulous. This is what you need to develop more. It is just beautiful!

PaintedThread said...

Wow. I love, love, LOVE how that flower came out. The border is so cool!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I love the quilting on the flower in this piece, LeeAnna! The addition of the cottage was a surprise. Beading the edge was a great way to add a bit of bling!

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Coming to you via Just Let Me Quilt website :)
Love your choice of colours, beading fun and the gorgeous garden fabric!
What a fun series you have created :)
The new blogger is letting your pictures shine !
hugs,
Joanne

Brian's Home Blog said...

Very, very pretty!

Deb A said...

Oh my goodness! I love these challenge pieces you are making. I think this one might be my favorite... but I seem to think that with every one I see!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your series with the flower paintings turned into quilts is so fun to see. I really like the border made of thin strips combined with the landscape fabric, plus detailed quilting!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Absolutely beautiful!

grammajudyb said...

I’ve loved them all, so far! I am anxious to see all six. They are absolutely beautiful!
I agree with Debbie...we hear you speak in these painting.

? To finish with 1/8 “ binding, what size do you start with. I tried to do the math...I think I failed!

Sara said...

Beautiful, beautiful. It’s so interesting how the pencil coloring worked on the grey scale print,

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Beautiful!

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

Your work is so gorgeous and free style. I hope you cherish each one...they are stunning!

Angie said...

LA - I like how you used the "scenery" fabric to provide continuity in the piece - a clever idea. And the beads around the outer edge are a unique touch that shows your individuality!!! Super!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

You are trying new things with each piece and learning a lot! Love this one so much. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.