Saturday, August 29, 2020

sewing saturday... purple impro log cabins and two finishes!

 

Welcome to this week's sewing round up! Starting with my two little friends. 
I LOVE elephants and watch videos to calm myself... so when I saw someone made an elephant applique quilt I began searching the internet for patterns. 
I decided to download two free coloring book pages to make a pattern, and then thought, how about a felt stuffie? I have some cute felt scraps in dots, and pink with white dots...and found a free pattern which I put on word to enlarge a bit. I cannot find the pattern online again, and the maker did not put their name on the page, but you can look for them online. 

 
You will need a little experience putting in gussets. I added in some crystal eyes, and some floral embellishments, a metallic thread tail and they are my studio mates now!
The color of the month at RSC is purple, and Angela encourages us to make something using our purple scraps so... back to the purple improv log cabins:

 

little scraps, probably should be thrown out, become these lovely uneven log cabins. Amazingly enough the white bin is getting pretty low!

when they were done, I just sewed the really small ones together and look who showed up! 

Looks like a whale to me!

then these starts to an improv landscape of purple blossoms in grass... can you see it?

the big finish this week was this small artwork
I wanted to do a trial for a larger blossom quilt,  and I learned a lot. On freezer paper I sketched out a heart and star then drew swooping lines over that intersecting the image. I wanted to see if a change of fabrics would interrupt the shape, and it all worked out great!

 

I carefully cut each segment out, and used it as a pattern on fabric that was already backed with fusible. 

as I cut them, using scraps so color didn't matter, I put it back in place. Then I put each piece onto a foundation muslin and fused it down . I learned I should not butt them up against each other but allow for some overlap next time.








I replaced the pattern as I did this. Then it was time to layer with batting and backing and quilt it!
I used neon rayon thread and a satin stitch around the swooping lines. I used a variety of colors, and stitched in straight line echo changing directions to emphasize the lines of design, then free motion spirals and pebbles for fun. It's about 9" X 12". Trim after quilting

 
and face, meaning sew binding to edges, and pull the whole seam to back so you don't see binding.

 

iron on some crystals and done... now for the blossom quilt in my pink flower series!

don't you love it when things turn out to make you happy? This makes me happy!
LINKING TO
patchwork Sunday          



34 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

Love your small artwork and your elephants are adorable!

Barbara said...

Wow, LeeAnna, this is one beautiful and chock-full post! I adore your elephants! The felt fabrics Are perfect, and in spite of their smaller size, it looks like they took a lot of planning and sewing. I truly adore them! Also, you used my favorite colors in my favorite block. What’s not to like about that?! Your small artwork big finish shows another big chunk of time and work. Thanks for the step-by-step description and photos, your imagination is amazing. I commented on this amazing piece last time, but this presentation makes me appreciate it much more. You must feel great about all of these beautiful projects!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Great projects! What an inspiring post! Thanks for sharing how you made that star quilt! Have a great day!

grammajudyb said...

You are an amazing artist! Art quilts are so inspiring! I love that you showed us the process. I may never try one, but if the idea hits, I’ll know where to start. Thanks!

dq said...

Awe, those elephants are adorable!

The finished art work is my favorite in today's post! I like seeing how you cut it and put it together.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love to see what you've been working on each week! The elephants are adorable! And the whale from your improv bits is really neat. So fun to just play!

PaintedThread said...

Wow! Love the little artwork. So cool!

Linda said...

Those little elephants are beautiful.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Ellie and friend... SEW cute! Looking forward to seeing how PURPLE Blossoms in the Grass develops. LOVE your experimental art piece, LeeAnna!! Can't WAIT to see the "real" one for the Pink Flower series.

Sara said...

Those little elephants are SWEET.

Sara said...

Oops!! I hit "publish" too quickly!! Love the tiny pink at the end of the trunks and the wispy tails. Just too cute! And the heart and star piece is so bright and happy. Thanks for sharing the technique too.

JanineMarie said...

Color this post happy!! And those elephants are just too cute! (Don’t let Milo find them. He might think they are new toys just for him.)

Turid said...

Oh those elephants, I just love them.

Deb A said...

Love the elephants! My son loves them as well =) Your improv quilt sure does make me smile. Beautiful.

Jenny said...

Those little elephants are so cute!

MissPat said...

The elephants are adorable and must have taken some time to sew together. All your projects bring joy. Thanks for explaining the process you used for the fused art heart and star piece. I would never think to try the things you do.
Pat

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Painting, drawing, lovely elephants and a great idea with freezer paper! What a great tutorial today ! Will have to give it a go!
Thanks,
Hugs,
Joanne

sonja said...

yin and yang elephants Adorable!

Susie H said...

Your improv piece really & truly is happy. Made me smile "watching" you sew it up and beam at the finish! The elephants are adorable and who wouldn't want a set of them!!??! As for your purple scraps? Yes, most definitely a whale. Wondering how you'll finish him off ....

Needled Mom said...

The little elephants are ever so cute. The polka dots are perfect for them. I love seeing the purple improv. The cabins and petals are beautiful. Your mini heart quilt turned out so well too. It was very interesting to read your process in attaining the final results.

la tulipe said...

I love your improv quilt and how you made and quilted it.

Norma Schlager said...

Your polka dot elephants are as cute as can be. They certainly brought a smile to my face. Also love the purple log cabins.

Mary in Boulder said...

Wonderful elephants! Both your projects are so cheerful and fun!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

The elephants are adorable! Thanks for linking all your lovelies up with Oh Scrap!

Shannon said...

Your elephants are so super duper cute! and I love the intersecting shapes in your star/heart quilt. I can't wait to see what other piece you design using this approach.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

As usual, I enjoyed the process of the Star/heart mini. Great choice of colors,too.
Those elephants are too cute!

Preeti said...

How did you do it??? Pack so much joy and beauty and elephant-size cuteness in one post :-) Hugs to you.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Those elephant stuffies are just absolutely adorably cute! Well done!

Angela said...

Your little elephants are so cute!

Rebecca Grace said...

You are so prolific! I'm swooning over your sweet little elephants, loving your RSC blocks, and so intrigued by technique you're using for your latest heart and star piece. Also love the "bling flowers" with which you've decorated your sewing machine. :-)

Denise @fortheloveofgeese said...

The elephants are so cute. When I reached the scrappy sewing I was thinking more of another elephant instead of a whale.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Wow your art quilt looks like fun! Love your baby elephants. So cheerful. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Margo Yang said...

Love those elephants and the art quilt!! They look like lots of fun to make.

quiltingbydawn said...

This is such a cute, happy art quilt! I love when I can find the time to try new things and learn new techniques! Thanks for sharing. Your elephants are adorable!