Sunday, August 16, 2020

conversation

 

 From the blog: sunday stealing
1. What makes it easy to talk to someone?

A: A person who is interested in others... who thinks about a lot of things and is willing to talk about real issues without judging others who disagree with them. I like to talk to people who have interests and enthusiasm. and accept other people. To converse one must be aware if they are monopolizing a conversation... it's a balance like a teeter totter.... you are up, then they are up! 

The people I like talking to, speak of real thoughts and feelings, not surface words or what's expected, not the weather. I love to hear stories of growing up, of choices made, of challenges met, of good times and hard times of real feelings about something. 

 
2. Have you ever had a great conversation with a complete stranger?

Oh my yes... I remember a time in DuPont Circle (DC) when we were joined on a bench by three young men, who admittedly looked rough. I turned to one and started talking about the people playing chess... did he play? That entre led us into a wonderful conversation where I learned he also wants to be a writer and despite his menial present job, he goes home at night to read and write at his kitchen table. His mates wandered away, my husband remained quiet, but the young man and I had a lot of fun talking.

Recently, last Christmastime, we joined a VERY LONG line at the post office, shifting from foot to foot, barely advancing.  A woman cut in front,explaining she could do that... it was okay... knowing the level of crazy that goes to a post office, none of us said much. When she eventually tired of waiting, she moved away and the two women in front of me, and I, started a conversation. Over the next hour, I learned of their circumstances, their families, their desires in life, we laughed, we listened to one tell of a recent death of her parents, we shared hopes. When we got to the head of the line, we felt like old friends and almost exchanged numbers... but couldn't cross that line... we did exchange knowing looks that acknowledged the momentary gift that exchange was to us all

 
3. Do you like to argue?

A: no, most people don't like conflict. It's necessary often however, to clear the air and come to resolution. When it's used to berate or judge is when it's non productive. Or when a person becomes defensive instead of focusing on a shared problem... productive problem solving stops.

dogs are a great conversation starter!
 
4. Some people like to talk about things, and some people like to do things. Which are you?

A: well, both. I like to do things, then talk about doing them! Or think about things, plan for doing them by talking about it. 

 


5. Who is easier to talk to – men or women?

 A: the person who talks with me... male or female... who is not defensive or dogmatic, who enjoys other people and talks about ideas. I've known both men and women who are great conversationalists and who keep a discussion lively moving from topic to topic. 

 
6. What is your favorite place?

A: Lake Placid NY, Cape Cod MA, Santa Barbara CA, Williamsburg VA, Saratoga Springs NY, Toronto Ontario

 
7. What is your favorite place in your home?

A: I love our great room... kitchen, family room with TV, table near sliders to porch

Also... my personal favorite place is my art studio upstairs... everything in there is comforting and exciting

 
8. Would you most want to live in a city, a suburb or the country?

A: I used to love the energy of city life, all the openings, the galleries, the shopping, sidewalk dining. In the days of uncontrolled viruses and people who refuse to be safe, I long for country life, well away from uncaring people who demand they have their rights at my expense

 
9. What is special about the town you live in?

A: nothing 

 
10. How much time do you spend in nature?

A: as much as possible, considering the 100F heat, uncontrolled wild fire smoke, rude loud neighbors who insist on spewing their own smoke, noise and chemicals into our shared air. 

 
11. Do you make up a dinner plan for the coming week?

A: no. The most I do is see what groceries we have on hand, and loosely decide how to use them before they expire

 
12. Do you make up a grocery shopping list and stick to it when shopping?

A: we need to now, but my way of shopping in the past was to go up and down each aisle to see what components were there I could make into lovely meals.  I would be inspired or reminded to make something by what I saw available.

 
13. What is one thing that you always buy, but never write down on a list?

A: milk, chicken, bread, cheese, and seltzer water are always on the list

 
14. Is there anything that you always think you are out of and come home with it to discover you already have a year’s supply on hand?

A: cans of beans

 
15. Do you get your groceries delivered?

A: with the rampant spread of the virus still in our city, one of the continuously growing infection centers in the state, yes. We now get it delivered. 

Every time we are brought out of date food too... causing us to have to report it, throw it out, and do without. 

The hope is, we are encountering less people with the virus, we wash all containers we can with soap and water, next we clean all we can with vinegar, and isolate what we can for a week in the garage. I'm so tired of being afraid of my food 

LINKING TO

all seasons

https://magicalmysticalteacher.wordpress.com/ 

12 comments:

The Gal Herself said...

I went to my niece's bridal shower two weeks ago. It was a long car ride to another state. I was SO HAPPY when yesterday's two-week mark passed and I knew I hadn't encountered covid on the trip. Like you, I'm tired of being afraid. But as long as selfish whiners and deniers exist out there so will the virus. :(

CountryDew said...

I'm afraid the selfish people exist in the country, too. Whenever I have to go into the more established areas for groceries, I see them. And I read their hateful rhetoric on Facebook.

Sara said...

I have had conversations with strangers, but I tend to be on the shy side, so I don’t initiate the conversation myself very often. And I lose interest quickly when the other person controls the conversation. I’ve decided that wearing my mask, washing hands, avoiding crowds are easy to do and are practical. I’ve gone back to ordering my groceries to pick up curbsid again. But I just can’t make myself sanitize and isolate every item I bring home. But our numbers are very low here so I’m sure I would be much more paranoid about things if i lived in a Covid hotspot.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I love shadowy sidewalks! Thanks for sharing this one.

sonja said...

i also adore dappled sun light on surfaces inside and out in nature.
i have had some of the most interesting conversations with accidental meeting folks at an art show or grocery , post office...
i rear up,mentally up when people talk over me, cut off my sentences and they are usually people i know well. perhaps they were raised by wolves after all...

Stacy said...

I've had some great conversations with strangers while waiting in lines. People I'd never probably never connect with otherwise. Enjoyed your answers. Have a wonderful week!

Plastic Mancunian said...

I've been to Cape Cod, Williamsburg and Toronto - not bad for a Brit, eh?

I should get back to the US - not been there for a while.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Ann said...

We are picking up groceries. I drive over and they put them in the car. No problems so far. Lots of cleaning when I get home, just like you.
Very few people wearing masks here. Drives me crazy.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I've always enjoyed talking with strangers when I'm out and about. When I was a young thing, older people would start a conversation with me on the bus, in line, at the laundromat, and so forth and so on. Now, I'm the older person. hahaha
I think we're still considered rural. We have a big bunch of people who believe coronavirus is a hoax and berate us who wear masks to protect them. I'm shaking my head to keep the swear words swallowed.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Grocery delivery isn't available in our small town. We do pick-up and then process purchases in the garage when we get home.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Santa Barbara is a beautiful little city. And, your answer to #3 is perfect.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

I love all your answers - so thoughtful and insightful. I think there is a real 'art' to conversation and it is what makes the difference between being an interesting conversationalist or a bore. People here in Washington state are very reserved and not easy to engage, but every once in a while it makes my day when someone takes that extra moment to acknowledge you and say something witty or kind. I grew up in New England where people would have conversations with you everywhere. You could go into a convenience store and someone would make a comment and everyone in the store would add their two cents. I miss that. Here, they side-eye you like you are some kind of nut if you talk to them. :( I love Cape Cod, too and have many happy memories as a child. Hope you get some cooler weather soon - this time of year makes me happy that fall is almost here! x Karen