Tuesday, August 25, 2020

T is for Tuesday really strong coffee tempered with cream...

 

 yesterday, a friend of mine and I talked by phone... and during the lively conversation, we talked a bit about age. I am not good at telling a person's age. I guess it doesn't mean too much to me... some young people are old, some older people are very young, and I tend to see character in someone's face rather than age. 

For that reason, and some others, I don't much like plastic surgery just to change yourself. I don't think big lips or a smaller nose make you look better. 

I think I might have always felt this way... I'm attracted to people who have passion for the arts, music and dance. 

They see beyond themselves. 

I thought about things I've done, stages I've gone through, how I felt when engulfed in those stages... and would have liked to tell my younger self to relax a bit. I came of age with some mighty fine people. People who cared about others, about human (and living things) rights. People with a passion to do good. I went to college originally to become a surgeon, but moved into social work. 

Passion. I also loved to dance, act, sing, paint, laugh, talk, and feel ocean breezes cooling my damp skin while walking along the shore. I liked palm trees and flamingos, cochina shells under my feet, the smell of coppertone lotion, the sounds of the Doobie Brothers playing on radios...


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZLY2ht9iBM 

 They are still here, still passionate, still using their talents. I still hear them, and am transported back to my college days when I worried about a career path, about being too pudgy, about what to wear, about what people thought about me, about where I'd go when I grew wings.

I'm still me.

I've been through so much in life, made a lot of decisions that were neither good nor bad, just needed to be lived with... 

The 20-something girl who yelled at me last week, has no idea who I am, what I know, what experiences I've had... she feels like she is the whole world and should be the whole world. She yelled at me because her dog got out and chased us, and we told her to catch the dog. 

My country is confused right now... values are skewed.... real beauty is ignored,  and purpose is too. 

Is it possible to really look at other people and see them, not their lips or other unimportant bits, not their color or age, but them... the part of them that is real?

and remember to listen to the music....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etGV7D3hYoY

Linking to:

T stands for Tuesday...  

20 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

to be you is a good idea... we are unique and we are we... always ;O)

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I love your post today, very well said. I don't know what is happening in our country right now-don't know what generation this all started where many of them I have met feel they are entitled, take no self responsibility, no social skills with another.
I have blamed allot of this on the dependance of those smart phones, lack of faith values, just loving and actually caring for one another-all very sad hugs and Happy T Kathy

Valerie-Jael said...

Nice post LeeAnna. Strong coffee ☕ is always good with me. Happy T Day, Valerie

Let's Art Journal said...

Nothing better than art, music and dance 😀. Some of my family and friends would agree that strong coffee sounds good too, I'll make mine a cup of tea ...lol 😀. Wishing you a very happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

CJ Kennedy said...

Society has become selfish. People should understand we are only at our best when we help each other. A good discussion over a cup of coffee or tea. Happy T Day

Sara said...

Oh my - definitely a self-important type of person, who yells at you when the situation wasn't remotely your fault. I used to work with a person like that. She loved to yell at people and always when there was an audience to witness it all. She always felt persecuted and imposed upon. I really do NOT miss working with her due to all of the drama. Luckily most of the people I associate with are kind and considerate people.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'll pass on the cream, but I'll have some of that strong coffee thanks :) Happy T Tuesday!

Her dog got out and chased you, and she yelled at _you_? Wow. She should've been apologizing and worrying about her legal liability ;)

People are so quick to attack. It's sad :(

Eileen Bergen said...

Beautiful and excellent muse, Lee Anna. This should go viral. But that's not the kind of stuff that does these days.

Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

Mae Travels said...

The tension in the air is terrible now, and it makes people tend to be angry. Remember the Yeats poem that's quoted so often: “the best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity.” But it's not just passionate intensity, it's fear, stoked by a mad president whose evil is penetrating down to the roots.

sonja said...

music is magic, a timeless tunnel to dance down!

Mae Travels said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Glad to meet a "soul mate."

be safe...mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Karen said...

Strong coffee is a good thing, and so is really good music! I do love me some Doobie Brothers ~ Listen to the music

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My steel drum playing friend Joseph says music is the universal language. I tend to agree. You ave chosen a poignant point to share and I totally agree, Lee Anna.

It was great that you and your friend had that conversation which got you thinking about age and how a person looks. The country is so divided now, and it seems to be getting stronger every day. I'm hoping this madness can change after November 3, but I fear it won't.

I like your coffee cup. I've never had organic milk, but that's because I use half and half in my coffee. Thanks for sharing this wonderful message, the great Doobie Brothers songs, and your coffee and organic milk with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lee Anna.

DVArtist said...

Your post is brilliant. Full of truth, self awareness and a deep understanding. This post shows me so much of who you are. I like that a lot. Enjoy your evening.

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Coppertone ! That's taking me back ! Haven't heard that in years!
Reading it Wednesday morning with a cup of coffee !
hugs,
Joanne

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Unfortunately many can't see the forest for the trees.

Happy Belated T-Day!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Embrace the uniqueness that is everywhere. Good advice.

Lisca said...

What a great post! Just continue to be yourself.
Thanks so much for that Doobie Brothers video. I looove it! I'm playing it back to back! I remember them from way back. They have been going (and enjoying it) for years.
Happy belated T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Ann said...

Being chased by a dog and then yelled at must have been scary. I'm so sorry. One of the joys of growing older is how little I care about things I used to worry about... all those things you mentioned and more. Keep the faith and steer your course. Stay safe.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I agree. My first concert was Michael McDonald and the Doobie Brothers in the 80’s. I think I know every note and word if their albums. They sound so good all these years later. Thank you.