Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Music on Tuesday


Happy Birthday Louis Armstrong...

I learned this by reading a short bio on
The Writer's Almanac...  (link: Listen to the audio  )

born very poor in New Orleans, put in the colored waif's home at age 11 where he was given a trumpet. That one gift led to a lifetime of contribution to the world.

I was struck by Louis Armstrong quote here:
"“Seems to me it ain’t the world that’s so bad but what we’re doing to it, and all I’m saying is: see what a wonderful world it would be if only we’d give it a chance. Love, baby, love. That’s the secret ...”


I watched a TED talk yesterday where a man from Cambodia was speaking about his path to where he is today, Harvard educated with a non profit to help others. He said he was a monk, nearly dead of malaria when a woman met him and paid a doctor to heal him.

He said, do one thing, for one person. Do something to help someone. It might not seem very large but you don't know what it will lead to.

I like these two men.
When I get depressed about our current leadership who stresses greed and the individual over the whole of us,  I will remember these two men went about their lives caring about the world.


6 comments:

Brian's Home Blog said...

We always did like Louis Armstrong, such a talented man he was.

Sara said...

It's a good lift to the spirit when you see what good people can achieve.

Stacy said...

Ah, I do love that song.

sonja said...

Sacthmo makes the world wonderful

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Thank you.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Louis was a classy classic. 🎺