Wednesday, December 12, 2018

31 days of Posts... Fabric as comfort back to quilt making!


The song puts "tidings of comfort and Joy" together for a reason. Comfort leads to joy at times...

I love collecting and using fabric. I like to use my collections when I can in the same quilt.

I enjoy working on the colors in the current season, so I start a Christmas quilt in December. This time I'm trying Bonnie Hunter's block bargello pattern (free on her site)

I started with scraps of Christmas fabrics but there were very few 2.5" strips so I culled what I could, then moved into my red, then green, then tan scrap boxes for that size.

I thought I'd make one block to try, but figured I needed more to see a pattern emerge. Right. I made 6  12" blocks

Now I need more.

Next stop, the Christmas collection... I keep all of them in one place (two drawers that include scraps and projects started, and printed whole quilts) I chose small scale prints, or colors I wanted, or small quantities to use up. I got a grand mix of them.

When I start a project in general, I go to my enormous collection of cloth... my Magnum of material, my fabulous fountain of Fabric. Why not? I like all of it and it's here!

When I decided to do more blocks I went back and repeated the process to cull out 38 more strips.
6 strips make a block.

To enjoy this you have to give up some control. The colors fall where they may. I put strips next to each other to please me but when it's all made, the block is quite different when the print is cut up..

Sewing gives me comfort. I know how to cut (I don't know where to put things in a new house)
I can lift the scrap boxes but not heavy bins of fabric. I know how to piece accurately. I get to see colors that make me happy, and visit a collection I don't see every day.
Joy!
so if you need me, I'll be in studio 1, happily sewing and cutting up and sewing more fabric!

Linking to

lovelaughquilt.mondays
oh Scrap Sundays 
sewcanshe Saturdays
myquiltinfatuation Thursdays
Let's be social Wednesdays 
Midweek makers wednesdays

16 comments:

Debbie said...

Wonderful! Nothing like using up some fabric to make you smile. This pattern is always a winner.

Julierose said...

Sewing is comforting for me, too. I like how your Christmas Bargello is coming along...I always like that chain effect bargello sets up...Enjoy your new project...hugs, Julierose

Mari said...

Sounds like a great day to me!

Shannon said...

This is so much fun! I love peering at all the different prints...

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Lovin your bargello! Haven't tried it yet. Enjoy!
mary

MissPat said...

Yay! Leeanna is quilting again. I keep debating whether to do a Christmas quilt. I certainly have enough Christmas fabric for one. I love the reindeer nose that shows in one the blocks. Great story yesterday with a surprise ending.
Pat

Ann said...

It's so good to see you quilting again. I have the same problem with Trip Around the World: the strips look completely different than the little squares. These are happy and seasonal. Enjoy.

Sandee said...

So pretty. I've tried doing this and it didn't work. I don't have a crafty bone in my body.

Have a fabulous day. ♥

sonja said...

yes sometimes,especially when the temperatures drop, joy is manipulating fabrics!Out of chaos comes joy and joy is good to share. don't know how you do it, post daily but it is joyful to read. I made a Trip Around the World vest back in the day when pinks and greens were shabby chic ish. I am happy you are creating and enjoying your stash again.Oh, the last Christmas star quilt i made of red,green and off white did not use any Christmas or novelty fabric, only the red, greens many greens, and off white, white on white fabrics, some very old.

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,

Quilty Christmas! Enjoying the season! Looking good!

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

I love this quilt design. I have one block up on the wall that's calling me. I want mine scrappy like yours is too. Enjoy and great work so far!

Susan said...

Yeah for cutting and sewing!! Looking good!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That pattern is calling my name, too!! Too bad there's (currently) no time for it. I hope you are having SEW much fun stitching with the colors of the season, LeeAnna! My Christmas scraps will have to wait. I'm hoping for Christmas in July next year! :o))

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your blocks are so festive and merry. Great way to use those Christmas scraps. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I too love this pattern. And it's all looking very 'christmas-y' with your blocks!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Your quilted pieces are such incredible art!