Monday, February 29, 2016

mindful sewing...

Warning, if you don't like green, turn back now!

I needed to sew yesterday.
Needed.
When I need to sew, I don't necessarily want to work on a project, or learn anything, or achieve anything.

I began by pulling out the most overstuffed scrap bin, the greens. Tiny little scraps of green in fact. I made these...
okayyyyy but so what. Then I turned to the very little strips, about 1 inch by 4 inches and sewed them together, then slightly larger strips on a new sew, just sewing, one color to another.
I made three strip sets, very ragged on the top and bottoms.
I free-cut some curves with a longer scrap strip and joined two, then the three into the piece you saw at the top.
I worked on it oriented like this the whole time...




But then turned it just to see if it might look better...
and settled on the one you see at the top. There, now it reminds me of a stand of trees with shadows.

I like to see something representational.
Now I want to finish it, so I am looking at possible borders...

how about this brown batik?

or this speckled one

Or both!
boy the color got washed out on this pic!

When I work on abstract pieces, I must see something in them or the experience is flat to me.
I do love trees, and recently wrote a poem about two trees    See the drawing and poem HERE

I plan to use darkest brown threads to quilt the trunks heavily. Sparkling blues to hint at water streams.
It goes into my abstract nature series.

So far I have loved each one and I started them as a learning exercise  in abstraction, with the plan to sell them all.

Now I'm not sure about selling them.
"I am still learning" , said Michaelangelo

What do you think?
On my design wall this morning








29 comments:

Rhonda said...

Oh boy, green is my favorite color....love your abstract. What a great way to use those tiny pieces. I think you've given me a new idea. Thanks for sharing!!!

AlidaP said...

Beautiful piece! And grabbing the fullest scrap bin and just making those abstract pieces is exactly what I also should be doing! Thanks for the inspiration!!

gayle said...

There's always something fun going on in your studio! I love getting a peek at how you work, and I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this next!

Turid said...

I really love green, so I read the whole blog post. Great to know how you think around a project. That brow batik with the trees is so beautiful. You have to use it, with or without the green.

Joanne said...

What a beautiful stand of trees! Green! Fantastic colour!
Looking forward to how it progresses!
Take care,
Joanne

Joanne said...

What a beautiful stand of trees! Green! Fantastic colour!
Looking forward to how it progresses!
Take care,
Joanne

mckittycat said...

Love those greens and what you've done with them!

Marly said...

Great idea, just to start sewing, see what comes to mind, and then run with it. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished forest!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

You are so clever! Am LOVING that brown tree batik fabric border!!! ღ

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I know the feeling of "I just have to sew." It's so interesting to see what you did. I love your colorful tumblers, too! Beautiful color!

Julierose said...

they are all lovely! I truly like the smallest--looks like a Cabbage Rose--nice improvisational creativity going on...hugs, Julierose

Claire said...

The piece is gorgeous! I like the irregular long lines and long strips. As to border, I like the speckled. I think the tree fabric detracts from the pieced work, and the latter should shine.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

LOL.......I could be a millionaire if I sold all the stuff I intended to then couldn't part with. LOL. Well, maybe not a millionaire, but close.

MissPat said...

I really like the brown with the trees as the side borders, but not sure it works on the top and bottom. Could you use the brown on the sides and narrower pieces of the speckled green on top and bottom. Love the piece, although I don't know that I could do anything that free form. Guess I just have to try.

Ann said...

What a fun process that made a lovely quilt. I, too, like brown on the sides but not top and bottom. Every time I see one of these crumb pieces in single color family I am inspired to try my hand. Must put it on the list. Thanks for linking up this thoughtful post with AHIQ.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Thanks for sharing your green pieces on MCM. It's so fun to read about your process of creating and always makes me think about how I can approach my own projects in a different way.

Lisa said...

I LOOOOOVE GREEN! Love both your pieces!

claudia said...

YES! The green is so perfect...Now it's March and for a month, you can't get much greener! I love what you have made there. I also love green!

quiltedfabricart said...

I am very impressed with how you can just sew with abandon and come up with something so excellent. I really like it from afar on the design wall and especially the uneven border. Off kilter like nature. You are obviously channeling spring.

PaulaB quilts said...

When I saw the top version I said, "That is nature, outdoors, what could it be?" With the brown tree border I said, "Oh, it's trees."

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Love your little stand of green trees! Your quilting choices will really add to it I think. Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Stephie said...

Great fun and way to work - speckled border please!!!

Glenda said...

Great little piece of wall art, people will love it. You made my mind go off thinking What if!?? It sure looks like fun. Cheers Glenda

Kris said...

Wow I love greens and love what you came up with...great process!

Pamela said...

How lovely.

I've been yearning for some color in the boat. But framed art risks becoming a projectile in rough seas. Your post reminded me that I should probably be looking for some fabric art.

Afton Warrick said...

All your abstracts are fun. I like the green border, because you're on a roll with green. It's funny, I have that tree fabric too.

ES said...

I like the speckled batik for a border! I too love to see together scraps and let them speak to me :)

Kaja said...

Love green, love where your play took you: it's very successful and your post taking us through the process is really interesting. I also love how your little tumblers look on the design wall!

Nicky said...

Love green too! What a fun way to use scraps but also a great way to play with colour. The tumbler one is gorgeous. Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday!