Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Three bloggers walk into a restaurant....

Nancy (pugmom), ME!, and Mari (academic quilter)


When my friend Nancy from Boston contacted me asking to meet at the Michener Museum in PA for the Kaffe exhibit, I said yes.

Nancy and her husband Mike,  Mari   my husband Drew, and myself met for lunch then went to the Museum.

<= Look at that door! This museum is full of the most interesting artful crafts.
I did not take any pics of the actual Kaffe exhibit but look at the ones I took of regular exhibits.. Very quilty aren't they?

This is like a forest of glass and paper trees...





My camera would not take a true color pic of this one, but it was intensely dark and reflective. I just love the color peeking through the black tiles.

I really want to make a quilt like this... and do not want to make it like a snowball pattern which would be super easy to piece. Then I would get seam lines in the colored centers. I have to devise a super Hard way to piece them with inset seams.

Yep, that's the kind of quilter I am.







made of glass and tile
This was SO wonderful. Textured and colored and looking for the world like a quilt I made once of hoodoos. ( STAT quilt representing Paul Klee)
Now I want to make that one too!
The actual exhibit was interesting to me because of the antique quilts. I am not a traditionalist but I found I preferred the mismatched seam lines and odd coloring of the antiques far more than the modern interpretations with the busy fabrics, all in medium tone.

We all like something different.
I saw a child playing in the hands on area, where scraps and design walls were available. I asked what she liked about quilting, and she said, the shapes.
Me too.

All in all, what fun to meet up!

What do quilt blog people do when they meet? They shop for fabric, so we left the museum for the Byrne's  fabric store where we encouraged each other to buy more fabric. Just in case.

20 comments:

lalaluu said...

I saw the Kaffe exhibit when it was at Quilt Festival in Houston last fall. The antique quilts were so amazing. We were all marveling at how intricate they were, and how much effort must have gone into them. Some of the colors had faded a bit, but they were all very vibrant! Thanks for sharing pics of the museum. Not sure I'll ever get there, so I'm living vicariously through you! ;)

PaintedThread said...

Looks like a fun trip!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

You three are all so cute. How fun you had a chance to get together.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Oh I amm so jealous! If I come to Washington DC, will you have lunch with me?

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Wow, the texture was fabulous! Glad you were all able to 'nosh' in such a cool space. ღ

Joanne said...

That's good peer pressure!
Cool museum!

Joanne said...

That's good peer pressure!
Cool museum!

Mystic Quilter said...

What a great day out at the Museum and it wouldn't have been complete without a visit to a fabric store!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I'm jealous too!! What a great meet-up adventure!

Stephie said...

Sounds like a great day. I love that bottom one too - the colours and movement are wonderful, lucky you to see it!

SarahZ said...

YES!!! What a dream come true! One of these days, I WILL meet a fellow quilty blogger! Looks like you had the perfect itinerary for such a special occasion!

Marsha Cooper said...

How fun to get the opportunity to get to meet up with others!

Glenda said...

Thanks for sharing so interesting and exciting. Would love to have seen Fassett's work up close. Cheers Glenda

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Great post! So many images that inspire me. Thank you so much for sharing. I bet you had the best day!

Unknown said...

I'm dying to see the Kaffe exhibit. Love your blog title ---there's a good joke in there, I just feel it! hahaha

Maria said...

Awesome post! Great outing!!! Lots of smiles!!!!!

Kaja said...

What a great day - though I'm a tiny bit jealous! Your inspiration photos from the museum are stunning: a quilt, or several, in every one.

PaulaB quilts said...

A great quilter day for sure. I was hunting for little house blocks on Mari's blog and found the photo of you three, and now you are here. Sounds like the museum broadened your horizons in ways you did not expect, always the best surprise. I recall seeing a Klee exhibit of small works at the Guggenheim in NYC as a teen. They impressed me and stayed with me. Maybe they drew me to quilting?

Mary Huey said...

I love that quilt pattern, too -- currently trying to "crack the code" on piecing it by machine without snowball corners, too!!

Wenni Donna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.