Saturday, February 20, 2016

brown dress, sofa, tv and recliner

whew! That's done.
Brown is the focus color of the month at RSC2016
Using the book, Paper pieced home I did these retro blocks in browns from scraps...
The tv is my favorite. We had a tv like this when I was growing up, as I told you about here: CLICK
The one in brown seems to have a fuzzy picture, guess the station went off the air for the night, time to go to bed!

First of all, I love the designs.
Second, I hate, and I know that's a strong word, hate her patterns. 

The only way I got through them this time was to print one out from the cd (I bought that book of patterns with good money, thinking she would have done that for us)

Cut CAREFULLY along the faint blue lines separating the 7 sections on just the chair block alone, RE-COPY them separated into sections so that they can be Paper pieced in a normal fashion.

She does not do this for us despite it being on a CD. She does not enable us to resize or flip orientation despite it being on a CD.to resize them,  I get in the car and drive to office depot and fuss with their copier.
Who doesn't remember lazy boy recliners??

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.    (SewPrecise software is SO MUCH BETTER)

But I do like her line drawings so I did the work to make my own patterns from them. I guess Ill go to the store to try and mirror image the chair if I do another one. Which is questionable.
The things I do like. The shapes. The Fabrics I found in the scrap bin that look so interesting on the sofa and TV. The brown and pink fabric scrap for the dress. In our 1960's house, we had a rattan porch sofa with cushions similar to the palms on this one. The hexies on the seat cushion are for my love of that shape and metallic gold. The turquoise legs are just plain fun.

 I wouldn't mind brown so much if I found a sofa like this one.So here's the room of mismatched furniture...
just like around here.

34 comments:

chris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sally Trude said...

I remember having a tv set sitting on top of the console tv. Right after it developed wavy lines. And your sofas are so retro, they're modern.

Ivani said...

You did a lot of blocks this week, The dress is my faborite.

Nell's Quilts said...

Your décor sense is spot on! Such fun pieces. Sorry to hear the actual process is so trying.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Hmmm......I think my quilt would be just brown and blue, if you know what I mean.

Can you redraw easier patterns yourself?

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Adorbs. ღ

Turid said...

So cool. All lovely blocks. And just calm down for the weekend.

Angie said...

Sorry to hear these patterns are giving you fits - but the results are awesome!!

Yvonne said...

I am not a fan of brown, but the colour certainly works for these patterns. They look lovely

Dasha said...

The retro furniture is just too gorgeous! Totally adore the sofa, and the TV, and the chair, and the dress too. And the fabrics are just perfect for each item. Good on you for sticking to it and remaking those patterns. At least you have done it now and won't need to do it every month.

Mystic Quilter said...

Amazing! You and I both know that brown is not on my favourite colour list but what a marvellous job you have done using all these different brown fabrics.

Marly said...

These are so beautiful; a trip down memory lane!

PaulaB quilts said...

I hate retro furniture despite the Keno brothers jumping on the bandwagon. But your brown sofa is neat, so cool! The arms and back have a depth because of the cut shapes. You are forgiven. Love the dress.

Cathy said...

Ah, the memories these invoke!

Peggyinno said...

And what a great room of furniture it is!! You make it look easy, even though it wasn't!

gayle said...

I adore that brown couch! It looks three dimensional!
Your sense of color and pattern really lifts these patterns to amazing heights. Who else could paper piece a recliner and make people ooh and aaah? 8)

Ellen said...

You did a fantastic job making your furniture despite the challenges you faced!

Jennie in GA said...

Those are incredible. They were worth your perseverance.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your blocks are so adorable! It sounds like making them was frustrating, but hopefully worth it in the end.

claudia said...

How cute are these blocks! I've never tried paper piecing, and I probably won't start, cuz I have enough thongs going on without adding another trick to my bag! But I love looking at yours!!!

Joanne said...

Back home for the Weekend!
That's the theme of a BBC programme that takes a family back in time for a weekend!
They've been back to the 60's and last week was the 70's!
What a transformation! Wallpaper, kitchen, menu's and the entire livingroom! Including the tv shows!
Love your paper piecing1

Joanne said...

Back home for the Weekend!
That's the theme of a BBC programme that takes a family back in time for a weekend!
They've been back to the 60's and last week was the 70's!
What a transformation! Wallpaper, kitchen, menu's and the entire livingroom! Including the tv shows!
Love your paper piecing1

Maria said...

Oh that TV is super cute:-)

AlidaP said...

Really lovely blocks! I also hate when I need to do extra work to prepare my pieces for paper piecing (either coloring or adding the seam allowance), especially for patterns that I pay for! Despite the frustration, you did a fantastic job with your fabric choices! Thanks for sharing!!

Bonnie said...

Your furniture is darling. I like the "ferns" on the brown couch. Reminds me of some chairs hubby and I had at one time.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Your blocks look great and I really like how you used different shades and prints of brown fabrics! Well done!!

-Soma

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

These are adorable! I love the couch with its funky fabrics. How old is the book? I wonder if these features are things that came up later as this technique developed.

Lorna McMahon said...

Your paper piecing skills are incredible! Love your blocks!

Danette said...

These are cool! But I would not like having to do all of that either, to get the paper-pieced pattern correct. Copy ink is expensive and sometimes my copier does not work. But I love paper-piecing.

Marsha Cooper said...

These are all just too cool! I'm so jealous of your talent in the ability to make these blocks and what a cool quilt or wall hanging they will make.

Unknown said...

You have slayed the color brown... You own it now. I'm not a fan either but these turned out GREAT!!

Vivian said...

Great job on surmounting all the issues with the patterns, you totally rocked these!!! They are just too cool looking, you've channeled the period with your fabric choices per-fect-ly!!

lelandavestudios said...

These blocks are amazing! They are going to be so fantastic when you are done. Sorry they are such a pain to construct, but they are so worth it! Wow!

Unknown said...

I love these patterns!! Your blocks and fabrics are beautiful again!!