Friday, February 5, 2016

Brown, brown, brown...

The color of the month at http://superscrappy.blogspot.com/ is brown.
Brown.
It's winter, the ground is brown, the grass is brown, the trunks are brown, the snow is brown.

So out came the brown scrap bin and I began to seek strips for strata. It's apparently the year of the strata quilts for me.
I was going to continue some blocks I made earlier in blues, and wrote a tute for:
 (Click Here or look on tutorials page)  but I couldn't remember what size square ruler I used, so I made them from the largest I own, a 15". I didn't go just look it up.  Of course they are much bigger than my others... so I thought, okay, 12 of these 20" blocks will make a good sized quilt in rainbow colors.

 I finished the blue one but I did not like it.
Too dull. In using the fabric strips I didn't love, I made a block I didn't love.

However...

In for a penny... so this time I made a brown one to go with it. For some reason I like them both better.
They might work out. And I can quilt as you go a big block like this, and try a new to me joining method.
While I was at it, I made the other stratavarious blocks and  the diamond blocks. I'll show those in coming weeks along with the sofa, TV and dress.

From Browns.


21 comments:

Joanne said...

That's a great brown fabric stash!
Yes, a brown sofa and TV! That will suit those paper pieces nicely! Looking forward to seeing the dress!

Joanne said...

That's a great brown fabric stash!
Yes, a brown sofa and TV! That will suit those paper pieces nicely! Looking forward to seeing the dress!

Turid said...

Lucky you who's got so many brown scrap. I'm digging through a plastic bag to find the smallest scraps ever. Maybe I could use them for something. We'll see tomorrow.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

ughhhh I love these! thanks for the links. (Everything is still white here....yah!) Looking forward to digging into my brown scraps this weekend and making some more wonky flowers)

Sara said...

Together they do look good. I actually like both of them. We have more white than brown right now. Grey is the color I often associate with winter because we see so much grey sky on those dreary, snowy days.

Julierose said...

Love your strata process--and I like them together too--funny how separately some blocks just sit there and when you join them with others they S I N G!! (And not "the blues" either lol) hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

I agree each of them is better with the other -- and I will be interested to watch your version of QAYG for these.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

The color looks dull in both blocks, which is why it works. You probably need to continue that dull look with other colors.

It will be interesting to see it progress through the year.

I am just busy keeping McGee from eating my chocolate blocks.......

Mystic Quilter said...

Love them! Think I should use my strips up this way. Problem for me this month is I do not like brown!!!

Deb said...

Love both the blocks, browns are my favorite and your scraps llok great in strips.

gayle said...

The browns really did perk up the blues. It'll be interesting seeing what adding other colors does as the year goes on. Who knows - it could end up being your favorite quilt ever. 8)

Sally Trude said...

Your lightest brown fabric with the circles really adds a lot of bounce. The beginning of the year at RSC is always so interesting because we have no idea how our toddlers will turn out.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

They do look good together / some pretty browns here :)

PaulaB quilts said...

You are right, the blues look better with the Browns added. Cole is definitely the alpha dog in your household. What about you? I'm glad your lists are helping you each day. Makes for a more ordered life, or so it seems.

Cathy said...

Stratavarious...... great name for a quilt! I love your blocks and tutorial. You are so dang clever! :-)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Looks like we all agree with you that the blues look better when you put the browns with them. My blocks are having the same experience! I really like those strata blocks, thanks for the tutorial.

scraphappy said...

You really are having the year of the strata quilts. Such a great way to use up lots of long strips.

Nell's Quilts said...

The brown and blue really do work so well together. Wow! I haven't made strata blocks in 15 inch size. What a great way to use scrap stash quickly.

PeggyinNO said...

Your blocks look great! Scraps and strips, what's not to love!!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Love the brown blocks, especially with the blue! You're right, it will make an awesome quilt!

Podunk Pretties said...

Its really hard to judge a quilt like this until its complete. A lot could happen in the making of the rest of the blocks. I'm not a fan of brown either but I seem to have tons of it in my scrap bins? Thanks for linking up at Podunk Pickins.