Saturday, May 16, 2020

Sewing Saturday

I made some dark green lozenge blocks this week...first cut scraps and get organized
sew on corner squares, and make tiny HST's with the cut off bits... only 1 1/2" square
now what to do with this month's hst's?? I added in some whole dark green squares to make 6 larger sawtooth star blocks
join them with more little dark green squares.
64 tiny hst's, 48 tiny squares, to make the top which looked very unfinished at 8" X 14"
what if I added a strip section?
Unbalanced...
back to the machine
still needs more...


now we're talking... I can add in some little white blossoms, some grasses, some leaves and with the quilting it should look springy!



















Now I have two pretty pieces on the design wall to quilt!
when I went to pack away the lozenge blocks I pulled some of the other months out to see on the wall
I didn't pull out all the colors as they are all so close in value, light and dark greens, light blue, turquoise, orange! but it's going to be interesting.

I also finished a small art quilt this week, doing a painting lesson in combo with quilting: post here
It was almost a totally improv week. I never measured the hst's so they are a bit wonky, the strips are done in an improv way, let intuition lead the work. I have a poster in the studio that says get out of the way and the art will make itself.
Not exactly but I get it!

Linking with
can I get a whoop whoop Fridays  
Midweek makers wednesdays
design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays
oh Scrap Sundays 
 scrap happy Saturdays

15 comments:

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
great quote on that poster !
love the green mix of blocks and stripes and piecing !
hugs,
Joanne

Sherrie said...

Hi,
The poppy flowers on your stripes are pretty, love the art block you made, awesome...have a great day!

Cathy said...

I love that quote! And I love your little green improv piece. The lozenges will be great - it’s a good idea to do them as an RSC project. That will be a fun one once we get to some colors that aren’t blue or green, LOL!

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, a mostly improv week. How delicious! I'm trying to have an improv Saturday, but overthinking it too much. Maybe after lunch --

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the mix of the star blocks, the strips, and the little flower blocks! I always enjoy seeing your improv work - you really have an eye for that.

Sara said...

Looks like you've had some fun with green this weekend. I have set aside the green for another day, and played with red, white and blue - and a bunch of other bright colors.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love the leaf and swirl shapes in your new art piece, LeeAnna! Nice job on working thru your RSC blocks. Even better that you made use of those sweet little Bonus HSTs!!

grammajudyb said...

I am forever blown away by your improv prowess! Wonderful!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Love love, love the art quilt.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Nice! 💚

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I struggle with green but your projects are lovely! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi LeeAnna, I like your art quilt - it sounds like a great way to just let your intuition do the work. It's good that you like parts of it.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

They're all spectacular, LeeAnna. That last one, wowza!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Oh what a great idea to mix blocks and strips! Love the white flowers too!
I will host a new linky party Sunday, you are welcome if you want to join in ;)

hetty said...

Your improv art quilt blew me away! I love the quote. So perfect.