Friday, May 15, 2020

paint party plus!

what makes this paint party special is I did a combination project with quilting.
I took a lesson from Thirsty for Art. She said paint a picture without thinking about content or product, just let your intuition guide you.
this happened. Next write words that come to mind when you look at it. I wrote words like eternity, flow, crossing, curves, continuance...
Next she asked us to write how we felt after making the piece... harder...
in a nutshell I said, calmer. Surprised. Satisfied meaning I didn't want to change or add anything.

I was surprised at how nice the process felt. I used a flat brush and watercolor paints on paper.

The activity was so intriguing, I thought I would like to try it in fabric. I work in fiber most of the time although I often paint on it too. Fabric is my paint... I approached the activity by saying I would just take what was in my fusible backed scrap bin, and build something
It was much harder than painting to me for some reason. I usually start with a concept and I was to go with intuition this time. I built it on a silicon sheet, pressed it and then could lift the whole thing in one piece. I decided to put it on black fabric,
then quilt it with metallic threads with peltex instead of batting. The whole piece is 12" square

intuitive stitching too

 I pulled the black fabric over the edge to the back to finish it off,

metallic threads, free motion, programmed stitches on a curve. Gold lame
and then added beads
If I asked the same questions, words that come to mind when seeing it
Greek antiquity, curves, moons and hearts, curves, flow, movement, eternity... some same words!

How do I feel after making this?
well... I don't love it. I liked making it, but it doesn't resonate with me as I like to start with a concept or feeling. I like parts of it a lot. I love the curves, I like the columns and the beads. I like the colors on black.
It has no title and I'd say most of my work gets a title when I think of what I want to covey before I start.

The teacher also had us paint a circle to do a mandala on... I'll show the circle, but it's not finished as I am not comfortable drawing on it yet. I sketched out many icons to use, and now I want to make quilted mandalas too! 

what ever we make informs our next piece doesn't it? Everything we experience and learn takes us to the next discovery

LINKING WITH
http://www.rainfrances.com/p/thursday-art-date-with-rain.html
off the wall Fridays
tgiffriday
https://paintpartyfriday.blogspot.com/
http://frombolttobeauty.blogspot.com/  

22 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

love it!!! and it is amazing that different things can make such a great connection

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

This piece has a very artsy feel maybe because of the black and the contrast. You are so good at taking your feelings to this level in fibre.
Meanwhile, enjoyed your likes post very much. Newly shorn Milo is beautiful. I'm washing my veggies in vinegar water as well. Really don't know if it is necessary. Very nice to see home baking too.

PaintedThread said...

Wow, wow wow!! I love that quilt!

Sara said...

You may not love the quilt art, but I think it's beautiful. Wish I had a way with color that you do.

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Wow, beautiful and so interesting.

Christine said...

Nice work!

Valerie-Jael said...

Wow, it's gorgeous! Happy PPF,hugs, Valerie

Susan said...

I think this is gorgeous! I especially love your intuitive stitching. It is also interesting that you took an art class and used it YOUR way. Since you don't lack scraps, I hope you will try it again. I think you are on to something here.

Debra said...

All are beautiful and so different. I like that.

sirkkis said...

Wonderful quilting process. Thanks for sharing it. Really like the shapes and colors.
Happy PPF ♥️

Linda Kunsman said...

fantastic art projects! I love how you used your watercolor instructions to make the quilted piece. Happy PPF!

sonja said...

recently you wrote " whatever we make informs our next piece doesn't it? Everything we experience and learn takes us to the next discovery"
i would answer absolutely freaking So!. as in each step informs the next decision. on and on!
like the rainbow circle.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I love when one challenge there self when comes to art.
PPF

Tammie Dickerson said...

What a cool project - and I love how you look into your head for some feedback, too! What a great idea!!

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
That was a great art experience! I love it ! and how you turned scraps into art!
looking forward to seeing your mandala work !
hugs,
Joanne

DVArtist said...

Wow! this is gorgeous. I also have been painting with this method.Don't think, just allow your feelings to guide you. I don't quilt but I may have to try this with fabric.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Once again, you've cleverly shown what can be beautifully be done with scrap pieces. Kudos.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I like how your mind works on this piece. Fo some reason , the mini art quilt speaks of Egypt to me. Can’t wait to see the mandala on the other piece.
Really cool stuff.

Gillena Cox said...

Very nice that continuous idea with which you approach your art. Nice work, Happy Thursday

much❧✿❧love

Elkes Lebensglück said...

* wow * wonderful quilting process !!! This mandala is great with color already...
Have a good Day , hugs Elke

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I can't wait to see what you do with your fabric mandalas and I agree, our art does seem to follow a path hopefully to bigger and better, but sometimes to places we don't expect to be. I like the randomness of your free flowing fabric square ... aren't you tempted to read into it ... I mean can we really draw something that doesn't have some meaning to us even if it is subconscious?
Your experimenting may bring you to new beginnings ... it will be fun watching you evolve :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Rain said...

LeeAnna, I love that quilted piece, really...the first word that came to mind was "musical"! I love how you created it and the mandala too. Very cool stuff! :)