Saturday, May 9, 2020

sewing Saturday it's greening up around here

I've spent time in the studio this week, painting and sewing both equally.

I enjoy following along with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge each year because it
1. encourages us to use scraps and I love scraps
2. gives us a focus color to explore for a month
3. provides a ready made menu for the year, once you choose your patterns then it's just sew those blocks each month in the chosen color, then see what everyone else is making in same color

I admit, I'd have liked not to do turquoise, then light blue, then dark green for the last three months but I dutifully pulled out the green scrap bins.

I knew I wanted to make an art piece, something to do with color. I like to be inspired by the seasons, so turning dark greens into a spring piece was the goal.

There were many thin strips in my bin, so I started by sewing them together, and love to see tiny strips of different tones come together like a painting

 I sewed like lengths together to please myself, and I began to see they would go together into 12.5" widths.
NICE!

This would be okay on it's own! Just like this on the design wall it's about 12.5" X 44"
I don't like the idea of sewing the sections together in a straight line though... maybe I'll lay them on the batting and just quilt over the joins to connect them so there won't be a straight seam or a curved seam but an integrated up and down overlap

leftovers with fusible on the back
Next it was get out the fusible scrap box to see what kind of spring flowers I could concoct
I built them on the goddess teflon sheet, color by color, free form shape on top of free form shape. I used about 5 colors for a poppy and then a black marker to make the centers. Once they were made and in one piece I could move them around the green strips til I was content.

I see some light gray green thin strips as stems, added in curvy lines of applique, some whispy leaves.

It's pretty to see when I enter the studio!
I looked at some small strips and didn't want to put them away so I stitched them together and put the section under the others but I don't really love it right now... I think it pulls the eye from the middle section to the bottom, and one might miss the flowers.

I want a long piece I can hang in the stairwell when done.
Imagine it with lots of stitching.... pretty orange threads on poppies, pretty dark blue purple ones on lupines, gold on the white trilliums.

I also am doing a cross over art piece to go with what I learned painting the art therapy lessons on paper. I am pretty jazzed about that, and I'll have to show that to you later.
For now what I learned,
1. it's much easier to paint some projects on paper than to slowly do the color mix with fabric.
2. but what I do with watercolor isn't as easy to change as moving a piece of fabric before fusing

21 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You are such an artist with your scraps! I love seeing and reading about your process here. The poppies are wonderful on the green!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I don't think anyone will miss those cheerful flowers, LeeAnna!! I think that lower piece seems a bit chunky and dark. Maybe if you lop a piece off and add another bright green into that mix, do you think you might be happier with it? Or... perhaps if you chopped it in half? A thinner strip of that dark band may feel like a better "ground" for your piece. Whatever you do, it's going to be SEW lovely!

LA Paylor said...

yes the bottom piece is not likely to make it to the finishline but I like to show process of decisions.
LeeAnna

Kathy S. said...

The poppy pieces are just fabulous! LOVE the colors you used for them.

Barbara said...

So attractive, real conversation art. Who knew scraps could be so pretty!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Love this...what an awesome idea!
Have a great day!

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, this just makes me smile - I love to see your creativity and where it takes you! That is such a happy piece!

MissPat said...

You do such a good job with adding artistic touches to your pieces. The poppies are wonderful. I dug my poppies up last year and moved them, but I don't think they survived. Trying to cut down on the garden spaces since I just don't have the enthusiasm for it anymore.
Pat

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

What a nice idea--scraps and flowers! It is so interesting to see the whole process.

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
what a fun thing to create! Love what you do with scraps with heat and bond on the back ! and I thought I was being to frugal saving mine.Thanks for sharing! It's amazing where one can use just the smallest piece.
That "extra"piece on the bottom...is it negative space between what's coming next if you make it longer? golden decorative grasses , leaves swaying in the wind?
hugs,
Joanne

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Thanks for including the photo with your finger :)

Jo said...

Beautiful, the flowers against the green string background.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great job making the most of this green month. I was hoping for a different color too.

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

LOVE the pop of color those poppies provide!

Meditations in Motion said...

Beautiful! I think it must be so satisfying to use up scraps and produce something so gorgeous!

Ann said...

Considering you weren't inspired by dark green, you've created a beauty here. The poppies are gorgeous but the lupine really blew me away. You have steady hands! I enjoy reading your process and always learn something. Clever you to have an idea where you want this piece to be displayed. Isn't it fun to make something for a particular place; you already know the size and lighting.

Debbie V. said...

I appreciate seeing your decision process.

Debbie V. said...

Blue and green together have been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager. A touch of yellow or purple as well.

Angela said...

So much cheerful colour! Love it!

Susie H said...

Wow! You are so creative! Love the beautiful flowers and the way you're using the green background. Spring is all around YOU!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Love the scrappy greens in this piece! Love seeing how the RSC has challenged you each month. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss. Be sure to drop by tomorrow to link up for this week!