Friday, September 27, 2019

watching paint dry...

Welcome to Paint Party Friday! I've been enjoying my supplies this week!

My local art supplies store had a buy one, get one free brushes offer, so I got two to try, both a mix of squirrel hair and synthetic. A black velvet round jumbo (size small) and a 3/4 Princeton flat chisel tip.
I also invested in a new to me paint set, by Kuretake Gansai Tambi, and have used it a lot since.

Sampling the colors in my sketchbook
I like the intensity but I do have to mix colors every time I paint. Usually I must layer color from my paint pans of KOI but these are so intensely one value. I LOVE the shades of lavender I've been able to achieve with it... and have been experimenting with the big flat brush for leaves, water, and petals.

There's not a lot online about ways to use it, and since I am working small now it's challenging but I love it! The strokes are bold, and push the color around in interesting planes.
Lettering practice from Shayda Campbell, and water scene a quick use of new wide flat brush and new paints

For a long time I used water filled brushes, but am in love with regular brushes now. I do not enjoy having a pan of water nearby though... I am a clumsy painter.

For some reason I just love rinsing out the brushes, then dragging them along a tissue as I twirl them to reset the points for drying. Funny what feels satisfying in life isn't it? I also like seeing the mix of brushes and pens next to my work space.

I've been tearing mixed media paper in half, then folding that half into quarters to make cards. It gives me a chance to try an idea and make something useful to send a friend. 
Note my "chop" on the back!
while watching a tutorial this week, the artist was unhappy with the way her paint bled... oh no! She said, it's not working today!.

First of all she's brave to do a  tutorial and post it if it's not "perfect"
Second of all, it wasn't wrong, it just wasn't what she wanted to happen, or expected to happen. I thought the bleeding color was lovely.
There is some kind of lesson there, right?
snail is for my friend Joann in the Netherlands
beginning to look like halloween!
Love the shades from my Tambi paint set!

As my poor sunflowers began to droop in the vase this week, I tried doing a little sketch each day on the calendar.


I enjoyed this video this week too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9gDc66wk5o

I LOVED this drawing video... so helpful about drawing each day, without  pressure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51_39lqZuJc

I went back and listened a second time, and made notes in my sketchbook

 as I felt it was important info. The gist is to allow yourself to grow, and expecting perfection in drawing doesn't always encourage that growth... and to observe. It's just as important a step.

Linking to:
https://paintpartyfriday.blogspot.com/

15 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

I love your sunflowers a lot... for me they are better than those van gogh created... absolutely!!!

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful art and good advice. Have fun with your new supplies. Happy PPF, Valerie

Molly the Airedale said...

Your painting are all beautiful! Love that cheerful sunflower and pumpkins are a favorite! Show dogs must be stripped. I'm just a pet, Milo, so mom clippers me.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Oh my goodness-thank you for sharing so much info! That lavender you arrived at is perfect. I too have been mixing colors to get the right shade- it takes a lot of trial and error. I need letter practicing. I have a slight tremor in my right hand from all the breathing meds so some days it's a real challenge to write letters. BTW I like the back of your card, too. Thanks for sharing Shayda's video. Enjoy! mary

sirkkis said...

Your sunflower is really beautiful and well painted, love it. And lilac shades lovely. I'll look the videos, thanks!
Happy PPF 🎨🍎

Sreeja said...

Beautiful...especially lavender!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Those lavender/purple-ish leaves are exquisite. Love 'em.

Sandee said...

You are most talented.

Have a great weekend. Scritches to Milo. ♥

Sara said...

Expecting perfection in any creative endeavor isn't realistic. The gal who leads the Sew Vintage group I go to always says "enjoy the process" - whether it's perfect or not, whether it's finished or not. Just enjoy the process.

Clare Lloyd said...

Super watercolours

sonja said...

Yes brush love or brush crush, call it what you will, i have that too. happy painting discoveries to you. enjoy the process, wise words!!!

Christine said...

lovely work as always!

Sue (this n that) said...

Really beautiful artwork LeeAnna - I so enjoy seeing all that you do throughout the week. Love the sunflower and the little snail.
Thanks, as always, for all the tips and motivation. Happy PPF :D) xx

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Love the snail paining!
Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. painting, creating, quilting and weeding! It's a weed for some a plant in the right place for others!
Thanks for sharing! and the tip where I can find crushed walnut shells!
enjoy the weekend!
hugs
Joanne

Beth Niquette said...

What a great post! You inspire me. I also love your little sunflower. It's my favorite. :D