Friday, June 28, 2019

paint party Friday....be gentle with yourself

My sketchbook page on Wednesday began with a tutorial from Shayda Campbell on drawing a wreath. Mine looks different than hers of course, and I put words into it that I need to remember. The thing is, this woman came after the words led me to paint her. I quite enjoy her gesture of gentleness
I am my own worst critic... as if I need to be or do everything perfectly. I am enjoying the daily exercise of drawing and painting, knowing there will be another one the next day.
The daily art is my favorite til I do the next day's work! No, I still love her, with her soft focus, and the gesture of protecting her heart by being gentle with herself talk.

Where do you find inspiration for your art? I will be going along, living life, and notice some little detail I want to interpret by painting or quilting.
I was looking through the I Like posters yesterday and Canadian Needle Mama had a picture of a chipmunk... and that caught my artist's eye
I liked the strong contrast around the eyes, and the tiny hair flicks of different colors, so I thought I'd try to paint it. I had to simplify the composition so fewer grasses, no background. It's between a drawing and a painting, starting with a pencil sketch, then using my KOI paintbox and waterpen, and the staedtler gray fineliner for detail.
I added little bits of white gel pen as I continued to add or subtract details.
Then I decided I was in love with my white cosmos this year, the lines and the subtle shading. A white flower with so much detail would be challenging to capture on white paper...

I had watched a Shayda Campbell video on how to draw flowers. Start with a pencil sketch of a circle, and a larger circle around that. I  did the ratio of outer circle twice as large as inner one.
then I looked at my image and saw two forward petals, so I did those engaging both circles. Then added in others behind, sketched out little ovals for the center. Went over this with my staedtler gray pen and started mixing light blue gray for shadowing.
bits of gold, and yellow green for the center, little dashes with the pen for definition, white gel pen to finish some highlights. Subtle but there, a few draped buds... no greenery this time but I am amazed that I captured the feel of it! Shayda said in drawing, which is different from doodles because of intent, remember to shade the dark lines, then contour with wisps of lines. I'm learning as I go.
so this was my sketchbook page til I wanted to try my tombow gray marker to compare it to the fineliner pen...
little quick azaleas in the corner. Do I mess up my pretty painting page with experiments? Why not, it's a sketch book...
Then I wanted to try the tombow pens and made an orange sphere with dots, too strong! Wouldn't dilute with water... ugly... crap! I walked away, cross at myself for messing up a pretty page til... I said, what if I draw petals around it?
aha! Suddenly I liked it, a lot!  Even the little tombow colored leaves were pretty a mix of turquoise and lime green.
Yesterday's sketchbook page... I quite love doing this!
linking to
Pink Saturday!
off the wall Fridays
https://paintpartyfriday.blogspot.com/

17 comments:

Linda Kunsman said...

really wonderful drawings Leeanna- love that adorable chipmunk! Happy PPF!

LA Paylor said...

what a nice thing to say! thank you!
Leeanna

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

That chipmunk is so well done. How do you cover the pencil marks from the beginning? The softness of those white petals is delicate. Nicely done. Are you using watercolors for the colors in your drawings or pens? Thanks for sharing all this detail. mary

LA Paylor said...

after the paint dries, or I go over the lines I want to in marker, I erase the pencil marks. I'm using a mix of paint and markers, gel pen.

sirkkis said...

I like your paintings,they are sweet and expressive 🌸
Happy PPF 🎨


Mary in Boulder said...

I’m loving this work!

DVArtist said...

Ohhh these are wonderful drawings.

Gillena Cox said...

Chipmunk page is my favourite. Happy PPF

Much🎨🖼🎨love

Sue (this n that) said...

Your words are very wise and artwork is wonderful. Happy PPF 💐

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

These are great drawings! I especially like the gentle woman. I have been trying to practice drawing as well. I am starting at a preschool level but that just means there is plenty of room for improvement.

Tammie Dickerson said...

So fun to experiment - especially in a sketch book! Keep up the good work!

Miaismine said...

Your art never fails to touch me. I judge my own feeble attempts at art somewhat harshly. Been thinking about that lately. Then I see your post...be gentle with ourselves......Beautiful drawings.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Charming sketches!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Lovely artwork and sketches.

Louca por porcelana said...

Inspiring works!Happy Pink Saturday!

Courtney said...

Lovely pieces of work! Thanks for sharing them. Happy PPF!

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Daily art is such a wonderful thing. A very lovely lady, she looks very friendly too. I like the markings on the little squirrels face. I recently wrote up a review of the Tombow markers. I ran into the same problem with not being able to dilute spots/marks with water on paper. I had to do the same thing as you did, drew/painted on the area. Your flower paintings are wonderful!

-Soma