Monday, June 3, 2019

the week ahead gardens, coffee, dentists oh my!


The weather in Aurora, CO this week
the forecast is 80's during the day, 50's or so at night. Time will tell if the forecasters got it right.
It was hot, then rainy each day, then cool last week and weekend.

Gardening
DH and I wrestled the new wicking raised boxes into a vegetable garden of sorts. YEA!
We had the heavy snow, then frost each night, but it seems to be summer now, so I planted a few seedlings. Lima and bush beans to help the white eggplant and japanese eggplant. Another box holds the tomato bush, bell pepper, parsley and basil. A separate pot holds the zuccini and another holds the chocolate mint. Right now at 9AM they are in shade but they all should receive afternoon sun.
Fingers crossed we didn't over fertilize them and they are hardy enough to survive CO wind and hail, fire hot sun, and cooler nights.

I also planted some marigolds in patio pots, to hopefully keep away some mosquitoes, which shouldn't even be here since it's so "dry" which it isn't really. I have doubts because mosquitoes were circling me as I planted.

ToD0
over the weekend I changed out the closets to summer clothes. I kept out some warm clothes this time. I dusted all the ceiling fans even the one at the top of a two story family room, bu standing on the stairs and leaning over with a 6 ft swiffer!

three weeks ago, I cracked my two front teeth, which has really upset me, and must return to the dentist to see if I need a root canal along with three crowns (!!!) so I am hoping for good news.
And God's strength to face the dentist as I have a true phobia. It's always been painful, and with my childhood, I can hardly face having hands my mouth. Anyone relate to this or have a good answer?

I need to see about cleaning out the computer trash so it runs efficiently. It's old too.

DH tried to find a solution to my tv in the little studio space. I have it on top of a cabinet, he bought a wall mount, but it doesn't work anywhere. It's either too close to my peripheral vision as I sew, which is distracting to a visual artist) or behind me where I can't glance at it. On top of the cabinet is okay while I stand at the design wall or cutting table, but it's black screen when I glance up from the machine. High class worries.

Read the great book checked out last week, recommended by staff:

Reading
The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. SO good. Unfortunately DH and resumed porch stories, where we take turns reading aloud a novel in the evenings. This means I have to wait for him before continuing the story. A 4 year old girl is mysteriously put on a boat by herself, leaving England to Australia and the story unfolds...
I"m trying a new mystery at night, about a baker in New Orleans. I'm not into it but there are lots of books in the series.I think it's called cake on a hot tin roof


 Making
I got excited about making my orange petal woman, and got her ready to stitch down yesterday so I'd love to do that.
just a paint doodle

I'm painting daily now, and expressing myself in paint.
It's lovely to look at a blank white page, and touch a wet brush to it and watch color spread.
I may paint like a four year old, but my inner four year old was a lovely expressive girl!


watching
LOVED Queens of mystery on BBC. Now found Agatha Raisin mysteries to watch together. Whee! A surly band manager buys a home in the Cotswalds and tries to fit in to country life. Fun!
I'm also watching Project Runway as it winds up this season, the stupid bachelorette because I can't stop but I do have doubts of her sanity, The Amazing Race is wonderful and back! I watch the Housewives on Bravo, don't judge, I'm not alone here.
I am starting back on Mrs Maisel and just watched one episode twice as it's so wonderful! The family went to the Catskills for the summer, and hilarity ensues. It's just so 50's and cute, and funny and cleverly written and acted.

eating
nothing special. We realized we are overwhelmed with sudden financial expenditures (car, teeth, taxes, insurance) so we are eating too much comfort food.

Lessons
I had a great lesson for you til I forgot it.
I will tell you that I've been going to a neighborhood coffee group on Wednesday mornings to meet people. We were all having lots of fun til the restaurant (here in the neighborhood) decided we weren't spending enough money between 9 and 10:30 AM. They said they don't want us to come in unless we buy breakfast so the organizer said we should buy breakfast.
This is the land of early risers as the sun is up by 5, and most of us have had our breakfast before coming.
There is no one else in there,  but they said we take up room golfers need. The golfers do not come in for breakfast or even coffee, they may  pick up one to go so the room is open for business but we are the only ones in there for the most part, lots of empty tables.
It's a public restaurant on the public golf course.
It feels mean spirited and short sighted as people came who had never known about it, and could, like us, go for lunches or dinners now.
The manager said, they didn't want all the older retired people there not spending money.

blink blink
I wrote a response asking if they make the golfers purchase food too, and if this is legal. I mean, if I wanted to meet a friend there for coffee, we'd be allowed. We're talking  two tables of friends having coffee.
Mean spirited, and once again driven by personal profit. They can be closed or open, if open they are a public restaurant. If they want a cover charge to enter, that should be on everyone not just us.

And a stupid mistake in marketing. Good will goes a long way in the service industry, no?
I'm angry these days about so much that having a good thing, forming a community of neighbors, taken away is the final straw.
I may go missing as I chain myself to the door with a protest sign, saying "let the older adults have their coffee!!!!"
 well, better get at it! Milo is ready to walk

20 comments:

Luludou said...

Oh! how sad that coffee owner thinks like that! If you are not tying up their tables during your meetings he should be happy with your patronage... cookies, desserts & coffees would be nice for the group.
Hoping your dentist will go ok.

Have a great week

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Oh the dentist--yep--I was really bad about going--but I finally got to where I told myself that if I made it through the appt then I could go home and go to bed if I wanted to afterwards (I am not one to lay down during the day--so this was like a reward to me-
and for whatever reason I have always felt 'safe' while in my bed) and that seemed to work--for a long time--now I just pull up my big girl panties and ----!!! I have done lots and lots of dentist appt and 3-4 root canals--time marches on!!!
hope it wall works out well for you--
luv, di

Jean said...

I can relate about the dentist, hope it goes much better than you expect. Sorry about the coffee shop owner, I imagine they are the same ones wondering why Starbucks is taking over everything. You can sit in there for hours with only a coffee. Hope you have a wonderful week ahead!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Lots going on in your 'hood. If it were me, I'd be finding a new place to meet. I can sorta see the reasoning if they're losing out on not having space to serve breakfasts but to discriminate against early morning coffee drinkers when there's a different set of rules for golfers? Puleez. Another reason to not like that pompous/arrogant 'sport.' Good luck with the dental visit.

Beth Niquette said...

What a wonderful post! I enjoyed everything about it--hopefully you haven't had anymore snow! :D

Cloudia said...

Fine post. Just refuse to think about your dental appt at all! Put it out of your mind and focus on happy things. Once there, go somewhere else in your mind. That's what I do. Best wishes 🌸

MissPat said...

You do NOT paint like a four year. I'd proudly hang that watercolor of the pink flowers. I tolerate the dentist, but if you have a phobia, I understand that how hard it would be. Think about what pretty flowers you'll paint next. I want to send you a pic of my purple Siberian iris that are blooming, but it's too windy today to get a good photo. Maybe the winds will die down before dusk. Keep your chin up and pooh on the coffee shop owner.
Pat

Unknown said...

I had a lot of childhood trauma and pain over my teeth and was terrified of dentists even through young adulthood. I eventually was just embarrassed at my unrealistic fear and coached myself to be grateful that I live in a day and when I have access to (mostly) pain free dental care. Now I close my eyes in the dental chair and try to be in touch with my gratitude for the care and I practice deep, slow breathing. It has helped enormously and maybe something like that will help you too. Good luck!
Barbie

PaintedThread said...

Gah! I'm due in two weeks to have the dentist fill a cavity between two molars. I feel for you! I hope you get good news.

easyweimaraner said...

we love your painting... the flowers are so beautiful!!! we can skip that part with sorting the clothes... we are back to jacket weather... sigh...

Sara said...

I can't believe your group would be treated so poorly in that restaurant. Would they prefer empty tables and no coffee sales during those hours? The mosquitoes are brutal here this year because it's so wet. We haven't been able to even use our back deck yet. Good luck with the dentist.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

What a totally unreasonable owner of that coffee shop. I'd find a new place-life is too short to be treated like that. You planted a lot of fun plants! I've used lavender plants by my front door (3 large plants) for years to keep mosquitoes away. They are lethal here in monsoon season.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Good for you, LA, writing to that silly restaurant. Whoever came up with the policy of keeping older folks out is bound for bad karma when they reach our age. Ridiculous!
I love your orange petal woman, which has me itching to create a fabric collage, too. Maybe that's what I'll turn our bedroom curtains into. Maybe. See ya, again, lovely expressive lady.

Julierose said...

I would tell the dentist that you have a phobia...my dentist understood immediately...it's still not fun (hah) but he is very good about it...I wouldn't patronize that shop any more..you don't need such negativity ...hugs, Julierose

Angie said...

LA - I am not sure I would call my feelings about the dentist a phobia, but it is certainly my least favorite thing in the world. When I'm in the chair, I just try to think about my happy places. Some business owners are just so short-sighted. I would take my money elsewhere in a heartbeat!

Unknown said...

Hi LA, Have FUN (not!) at the dentist. I'm not sure where you got the idea its too dry for mosquitoes here, but that is definitely NOT true. They flourish here and I am a mosquito magnet. The marigolds won't help. The city sprays here for them they are so bad. Mosquitoes really like water... Just use bug spray and it should help, also citronella candles also help. Hugs, Sharon

threesidesofcrazy said...

Sorry I'm running so late this week. Time keeps getting away from me! I enjoyed reading your post and hope you had a GREAT week.

kylesams said...

Advance dental unionville offers restorative dentistry for child and adult patients. we offer dental services like dental implants, Invisalign, dental crown, emergency dentistry, tooth implants, cosmetic dentistry, and other dental services for your family.
if you are looking for a dentist near unionville then stop searching and contact us now.
advance dental unionville ct

Danieledward said...


We re devoted to making our patients feel comfortable and attractive in their smiles. It is why they look to us for dental problems. Therefs no reason to think that you must conceal your smile any longer since we will assist you in getting that beautiful, flawless smile youfve always dreamed of.
We are happy to discuss your concerns. Our goal is to make your visit easy and comfortable.
dentist in west covina ca

aqil said...

Teeth Whitening in Chicopee MA is an option that you may have considered if you are looking for a way to whiten your teeth. Teeth Whitening in Chicopee is offered by two dental clinics; one is a full service dental clinic and the other is a more affordable clinic that offers less invasive treatments.
teeth whitening in chicoppe ma