Saturday, January 1, 2022

sewing saturday



For the sewing round up this week, I have plans... 

For the stay at home round robin challenge this year, I am going to make a flamingo center and use my flamingo stash to make the block rows. I gathered some scraps here and like the combo. 

Last year's  SAHRR quilt is over the cutting table in pic above

 I started quilting my octagon quilt in sections last night. 

 


I will quilt the center as a whole, 9 blocks sewn into 36.5" square. 

after deciding how to best do it in sections, I built backings in the section sizes and pinned them over the place they'd go, cut batting into same sizes and put it aside to use.
 

It will be done in three center blocks together,one on top and one on bottom, and 5 blocks together going up and down on sides. After quilting I'll join them on the front seams, and pull planned extra backing fabric over the seam on the back and hand stitch. After the entire 60" quilt is done I'll do the same with 6" borders quilted then joined, and backing fabric turned over the seamline and hand stitched in place. I'm off and running and hopefully my back will support this plan!


 dh gave me a pair of his jeans ripped too badly to wear, and I did one quick dog cross bag to wear on walks, one pocket should hold a camera, and the other treats keys and bags. 

I pulled out my hand sewn tumbling blocks quilt to finish. Then decided to make some more black and white to possibly put in some areas of it

I've basted the diamonds for that, and will sew them into blocks while watching tv

Milo: I'm recovering and taking medicines, I like that my bed reappeared from nowhere and snuggling on soft blankies because we finally got this...

My friend Diane in Austin sent me this quote

"We write 'made with love' on our gifts because 'made with cuss words, multiple trips to the fabric store, 3 pots of coffee, and a pitcher of margaritas' doesn't fit on the tag." 

 

I now LOVE this man... great tutorial, clear no excess chatter, happy and funny, we'd be friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4ttbDeYOGs

 

Pantone Color of the Year 2022 - Lee Eiseman Quote
panetone color of the year..

 so happy sewing and creating today and all year long. Creative types MUST create, right?

Linking to

patchwork Sunday                    
oh Scrap Sundays 
 slow stitching Sundays

16 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Oh your sewing machine quilt on the wall is awesome! Who does the SAHRR? I can't wait to see your flamingo quilt. Your octagon quilt is awesome. Cute doggie bag, and can't wait to see your tumbling blocks quilt come together.

Mari said...

Happy new year, Leeanna! Wishing you a bunch of love and happiness!

Deb A said...

Milo looks pretty cozy curled up in bed! Wishing you a happy and creative 2022. Love the sewing machine wall hanging.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Everything sure is pretty! Milo, I hope you're feeling better pal. Happy New Year from all of us!

Carolyn said...

I really like your sewing machine quilt!

Molly the Airedale said...

I remember so well the jean bags that we all used to make in the 70's. We wish you and happy, healthy and safe 2022!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Love your plans for a flamingo SAHRR and your fabric pull looks perfect for it. I'm looking forward to seeing it develop as you go along.

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE your SAHRR selections!! Best of luck with quilting the Pineapples. SNOW?!?! They've predicted that stuff to appear here tomorrow... when it was 79* yesterday!!!

Rebecca Grace said...

You have the BEST fabrics, LeeAnna. Those French poodles in Christmas sweaters?!! :-).

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your flamingo is going to be a beauty, can't wait to see your 2022 SAHRR. Thanks for the video link. Kiss to Milo.
Thank you for sharing, and linking up ;)

Tails Around the Ranch said...

That quote from your friend is hilarious! I may have to use it in the future, presuming I ever get a sewing project done. 🤣 Mostly I end up at the margarita phase of projects.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Seeing your SAHRR with the sewing machine center reminds me of how much I liked it, and how I'd like to participate in that again this year, but keep it small! Looks like you did that by not having all the borders go all the way around. Such a good idea!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great use for those old jeans. I might have to steal that idea but use it in the garden. You have me thinking now. :)

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Sandy Panagos said...

Love last year's SAHRR! What a fun quilt for your sewing room.

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Stuart makes is so cool !
Thanks for the blue jean idea ! I have a pair waiting to be tossed or cut up. This gives me an idea !
Create ! Be a maker and create !
hugs,
Joanne

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Lovely plan for the Octagon quilt! Seems very doable and more importantly, light on your back. Love, love the flamingo center you're planning for the SAHRR. That'll make it so much fun! Thanks for sharing your projects on Wednesday Wait Loss.