Monday, January 10, 2022

Stay at Home Round Robin... the beginning is a flamingo...

 

Time to reveal my SAHRR center for the 2022 round robin... my flamingo who is nameless so far, is now 12" wide by 16" long.

 It looked like this with just the paper piecing block, before 3 borders. I photocopied the pattern, cut it into sections, then enlarged each to make the block bigger than the pattern

this is the pattern, it's very old, so I don't mind giving an honest review... don't do it. Nope, run away. 

I am an old hand at paper piecing and love doing it. This pattern had me pulling my hair out, pulling out stitching and restitching the weird odd angles repeatedly. No fun, and I'm just relieved that the pretty fabrics, my experience,  and a strong iron was able to keep it it in check!

it is displayed on my portable design wall, which I've never made a pattern for but luckily made two before sort of forgetting how to make them. 

some close up photos for fun

dang! the sparkly white fabric doesn't show in this photo

I used a marker to do the eye, that pattern seemed to want me to piece an eye and beak tip finishing at about a sixteenth of an inch with seams right at pointy joins... no thanks.

love that bright green fabric that looks like palmetto bushes, and the leaf fabric on the side. Some were scraps, some were bits in the yardage drawer but it's hard for me to cut into cool fabric just for small pieces. I've learned if it will impact the finished piece and bring me happiness, just cut it. 


So like last year, I have a stash I want to draw from when making the surprise row blocks... mine is labeled flamingos

and I'm ready for the challenge when it comes, of making the blocks work for me. 

linking with

http://www.myquiltinfatuation.com/ 

https://fortheloveofgeese.com/ 

Midweek makers wednesdays  

https://quiltinggail.com/2022/01/02/announcing-stay-at-home-round-robin-2022/

https://lovelaughquilt.blogspot.com/ 


24 comments:

piecefulwendy said...

This is going to be a great block for the center of your SAHRR. I'm so glad you are quilting along with us! Yay!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

That flamingo is so fun and makes a great center block!! Love the color!!

PaintedThread said...

Love that flamingo!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi LeeAnna! Look at you - joining in the SAHRR. Is that center block any more perfect for you??!! This will be so fun to build upon. I can't wait to see the prompt for the next round! ~smile~ Roseanne

The Joyful Quilter said...

It's SEW darling!! More importantly, you said something that I never dreamed of hearing out of your mouth (or from your keyboard.) "I've learned if it will impact the finished piece and bring me happiness, just cut it." I can't tell you how happy it makes me that you are more willing to USE your pretty fabric (because we can't always save it for "important" work, LeeAnna!!)

MissPat said...

The flamingo may have been a pain to make, but it's so cute and just right for you.
Pat

Laura said...

Oh, goody flamingo theme. Look forward to this. I am also thinking of making my first block rectangular.

easyweimaraner said...

we love it!! and a flamingo brings always good mood ;O)

Joanne said...

Wow ! LeeAnna ! That looks so cool !
Looking forward to see how this years theme grows !

Molly the Airedale said...

Love your flamingo!

Sara said...

Oh my - the flamingo is fabulous! I look forward to seeing your SAHRR. Last year's was awesome. I haven't decided yet whether I'll actually sew along this year or just watch for inspiration.

Mari said...

Love the flamingo theme! Great center block. She looks like a friendly flamingo.

Beth B said...

Such a good looking flamingo. My obsession is dragonflies so I am stuck on that batik fabric. I need to search my dragonfly stash and see if I have some or if I am going to have hunt some down.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Beautiful! I love how she looks like she's in her natural environment. Have fun with your SAHRR; I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Laura K said...

This is a good one. You are in for some fun.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

That flamingo is fabulous! Bravo on your latest project.

Kathleen said...

This is going to be a happy little SAHRR, or big one. I love your center.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love your nameless flamingo! You are off to a great start, and I'm sure things will only get more interesting...

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Oh your flamingo is fab!

Anne-Marie said...

I LOVE your flamingo block! Most excellent!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love the flamingo focus!!!

Cathy said...

Oh, what a gorgeous flamingo! She will make a faaaaaabulous center, and this is going to be a killer quilt! 😍

Debbie said...

Love your flamingo! The colors make it pop and put a zing into the dull of winter. My family loves flamingos as well, but YOU have the most fabrics. Can't wait to see what you make of it. time4stitchn

Quilting Gail said...

Your nameless flamingo is great for a center block!