Saturday, October 9, 2021

sewing saturday... hexi blocks plus improv work

For sewing this week, I made the hexi kaleidoscope blocks in light/lime greens the color of the month at the RSC. I went ahead and took a pic of the ones already done, and noticed by setting them this way you see kind of a light shadow around the outside... I'll have to take care when I have finished all the blocks. I think it might be a possible twin size with the blocks from the next two months. 

The newest blocks in light greens

I also spent some time with the scraps from making the Ricky Tims kaleidoscope. I haven't wanted to work on it yet, it's big and needs decisions made, but the scraps... I played with two sets til I liked the idea of doing these strips

sewn but not trimmed yet
don't know what they'll be but I like them and enjoyed the mental exercise to design them

I took these out and added to them but have no idea what will become of them either...


keep in mind all of this was left over after making the kaleidoscope... hence the angles... so there is a LOT of waste while making that quilt









I turned several scraps into 60 degree diamond blocks and thought I'd arrange them in the typical hexi setting but decided to do something a bit different with them...

and am considering adding in a strip in the center...it's about 44" long now 


I hope to finish this one for Joy's table scraps challenge at the end of the month...









LINKING TO

off the wall Fridays
can I get a whoop whoop Fridays 
tgiffridayfinished or not 

 myquiltinfatuation Thursdays

design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 

 scrap happy Saturdays

23 comments:

Sara said...

I love how you share the thinking process a bit with us. Your "artist" brain thinks of ideas that I would never come up with for those bits and pieces.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Very creative use of your KK scraps. I agree, there's a lot of waste with this method. But the result is worth it! My KK leftovers are also in autumn colors which might complement yours. I don't enjoy doing improv piecing so I won't use them for anything. Would you like to have them? If so, send me your address and I'll send them off to you.

PaintedThread said...

All fun stuff. I really like how the hexies are coming along.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

great use of the light/bright green in your hexies!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fun stuff happening with those Ricky Tims kaleidoscope scraps, LeeAnna, and your hexagon kaleidoscope blocks look SEW cheerful!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You're so good at using up what others would think of as waste! Fun to see what you're trying.

piecefulwendy said...

So fun to see all the color and the variety of projects you are working on. I'm inspired, so I'm heading to my quilt room to play with some projects of my own.

MissPat said...

I'm betting you have more fun with the KK scraps than with the original quilt.
Pat

Ann said...

So intriguing to see both of your kaleidoscopes… And to see what you make from the scraps. You are doing a great job with all of them. I don’t know how you keep so many projects going so well.

grammajudyb said...

Wow! You are so creative, I’ve been improv piecing this week too! But your triangles are awesome! Sometimes sewing angles, gives me a “headache”!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

I'm always impressed with how to salvage scraps into beautiful new pieces! Well done.

Kim said...

Colour, colour, colour everywhere! How gorgeous! LOVE all those happy hexies♡

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Impressive use of your scraps and those hexies make my heart swoon!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Gosh, loving all the ways you are using colour here! Your hexi kaleidoscope blocks look so amazing all together!

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
So creative !
Love all the different looks you create with the scraps !
Hexi blocks, first photo is gorgeous !
Take care, hugs,
Joanne

AnnieO said...

Creating new shapes and patterns looks like such fun. Enjoy all the scraps.

Judy Hansen said...

It's always interesting to visit your blog and see what you are making. Lots of creativity. I love the colors you are working with right now. Thanks for sharing your thinking with us. Hugs, Judy

Kaja said...

I have always loved your RSC projects. You have the knack of choosing a plan that makes all those different colours play together really beautifully.

QuiltGranma said...

Love your crazy and wacky strip blocks! It will be wonderful to dee what you make with them.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love all the colors in your hexies!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love your green hexi kaleidoscope blocks, and the new project about using scraps from Ricky Tims kaleidoscope quilt!
Thank you for linking up ;)

Sharon Kwilter said...

I love those hexies. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

I love watching you play with your scraps. You always come up with something clever. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.