Friday, October 1, 2021

paint party Friday

 

from joanna basford coloring calendar pages

Welcome to this week's paint party! 
This week I focused on leaves, botanicals and exploring colors I don't normally use. Above is a coloring page in my calendar, and I worked with blending and outlining, as well as practicing lettering with the Faber Castell Pitt brush marker... bold lines in deep black with some gold alongside...
using my Fine tec paints and a #8 "velvet" watercolor brush
I watched the video I listed at the end of this post, and painted three pieces...

 
so you can see the bronze accents

 

 

the lesson was to overpaint areas, and to use markers to add detail, then metallic accents


I used my kuretake paints which are much more highly pigmented and darker colors than I like... thinking it would be richer but it's mostly browner, not my fave color scheme. To counteract the browness I did a quick rose study...

I didn't do the last leaf piece yet... but I will. I like this instructor. 
I WILL use my fine tec metallic paints again, they are awesome

A VERY easy tutorial to paint leaves...


 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PUa3kN6zUY

Linking to

https://paintpartyfriday.blogspot.com/


20 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

I love this colors, they have something from a place where you are home...

My name is Erika. said...

You are a talented watercolorist. Both pieces are beautiful, but those pom-poms. Wow. I want some of those flowers in my garden. Happy weekend!

Granny Annie said...

I love color and you master it very well.

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful colours, love the pom poms! Happy PPF, Valerie

mamapez5 said...

I enjoyed watching your leaf video. My preference is for the first set. It is several years since I did any painting. I loved colour even as a child, but my secondary school art teacher told me I was no good and she killed my confidence. Now I am retired and have arthritic hands, and I mostly use alcohol ink pens, but i do have one of every colour copic marker, and a few others. I shall experiment with some of your ideas. Thank you. Kate.

Scrapatches said...

Those leaves! They are so beautiful! :) Pat

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I love the pom poms and the leaves.
Those Fine tec paints are so pretty.

Gillena Cox said...

Gorgeous pom poms.
Thanks for all the art today

Much💖love

Sara said...

Wow! Those leaves with the bronze accents are stunning. You could be designing fabric or maybe greeting cards. So pretty!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

You've outdone yourself! The one with the sketchbook spiral showing in the photo really speaks to me; I love those fall colors with subtle purples. Maybe not your usual palette, but it certainly works. The bronze accents in all these pieces lift them to a whole new level.

Christine said...

Lovely florals for the paint party!

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

What a beautiful exercise...and I adore the colors!

Tails Around the Ranch said...

Beautiful paint jobs! Lovely your creativity.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Your pom pom flowers are delightful and I love your metallic watercolour paint palette, the shimmer adds a beautiful touch.
Happy PPF Tracey x

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

These are so wonderful! Love how you used the colours!

-Soma

Kathleen said...

So much beauty in these paintings. The pom pom flowers are just perfect, and the last series is fun too. It is sad to see gardens putting themselves to sleep for the winter here, but this brings the brilliance of summer right to mind!

Carolyn said...

Those are beautiful!

Norma Schlager said...

Love, love, love this video AND your paintings. Makes me want to run out and buy watercolor paints. Do you use the same paints that she does?

The Joyful Quilter said...

Glad you were able to have some paint-y fun this week, LeeAnna!

WendyK said...

Love your leafy paintings.