Friday, January 10, 2020

The Monet Exhibit

meeting a bigger than life Monet as we entered
it's not easy getting timed tickets to the Monet exhibit in Denver. Then driving there, finding parking, walking distances to the actual door, etc. We did it, and on our appointed time were handed devises to listen to curators discuss the work. It took over two hours to see it all!
ahhhhh

the show was so large, organized by places he lived and worked, and styles. I loved one of these early paintings done from a high vantage point in Paris. Most painters of the time used a lower viewing point.  Aren't the frames magnificent? Note all the people, and mood, and pale colors.
I noticed he chose to almost always center his horizon line, to mute colors, to manage to add details while being abstract, and to mix pure color on the brush so that each dab of paint blended but not totally the colors.

I'm including detail shots, and was lucky enough to get very close to see brushstrokes. The guards were not like the ones at the National Gallery of Art in DC.
Monet was fascinated by nature, and frustrated by working outside painting in real time as the light is constantly changing his view of subjects.
He went out in all weather, always observant, blurring the lines between object and reflection, using almost the same intensity of color for reflection as object, so that the sky was often seen under the horizon only in the reflections.
forcing the viewer to choose where the object is and where the reflection is

The detail in each leaf, the composition was entrancing in this one to me














I admit I loved the ones painted in Italy.
I stopped a long time to absorb the gentle field scene with these children


this one fascinated me for the sun, painted with a strong spiral of thickened paint
The last galleries were of his time in Giverny, water lilies and bridges. He began to paint for an hour, then take breaks. He obsessively designed and redesigned his garden, even rerouting a river despite the objections of his neighbors.
He was a man driven to paint. He shared a love of light with his contemporaries, learned from them, respected them. He spent a lifetime exploring his unique vision and style, persisting in art despite his father demanding that he go into business.
He so inspired me that I bought a small set of acrylics to try his dab technique. I watched painters on youtube as they explained how to paint like he did. I like more intense color but I want to learn from someone who recognized the subtlety of color and light, and how the human eye mixes colors on a canvas.
this was one of two videos I watched:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpmdlAi0IUY

LINKING TO
https://paintpartyfriday.blogspot.com/

18 comments:

Julierose said...

I just love his ocean waters reflections...what a wonderful exhibit--it must have been so inspiring...hugs, Julierose

Jan said...

Wonderful post. I love Monet, I'm near-sighted and his blurry world looks normal to me.

Molly the Airedale said...

What a treat to be able to see the paintings in detail up close. Our Yale Art Gallery will not allow cameras inside the building.

Judy P. said...

Many, many years ago my husband and I attended an Impressionist exhibit at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. I was so excited to see it, but it was so crowded that you really couldn't see anything. What an incredibly talented man he was. Unbelievable.

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing this lovely visit, I learned a lot through you. You have to get to the real Giverny one day.

Linda Kunsman said...

oh wow- how lucky to see this special exhibit- and up close too!! Thank you for sharing all the photos and info. Looking forward to seeing how this inspires your new art projects:) Happy PPF!

Quiltdivajulie said...

His work is amazing and beautiful - I spent considerable time enjoying some of his works in Philadelphia and in Chicago. Time very well spent.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Thank you for sharing. What an amazing exhibit. You selected some awesome paintings to share.

Libby in TN said...

Lucky you to see such lovely and historic paintings. My MIL was obsessed with Monet and tried to emulate his techniques in several of her paintings.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Thank you for this report from this exhibition, how big the pictures were and you could look so close!
He painted great pictures!
It was worth going there even if it was hard!
Have a nice Weekend,
Elke

Michele McLaughlin said...

Envious of you! What a wonderful exhibit! I haven't seen a Monet painting in years==perhaps decades! A wonderful and interesting post. I always like to hear artists talk about artists, such great insights!

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Tammie Dickerson said...

Wonderful!! Love seeing Monet's paintings in person!! Happy PPF!!

DVArtist said...

Wow a really beautiful post.

Rain said...

Oh thank you so much for sharing LeeAnna!! I love Monet, his style is so fluid and beautiful. And thanks especially for sharing that quote of his, I feel like I want to try that now! :)

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

You are a great tour guide! Loved your detail. Thanks for sharing this.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

It is a magnificent exhibit and a real coup for Denver to have landed (the only appearance in North America). As of yesterday, it has been totally sold out though the museum is trying to figure out a way to squeeze in more opportunities for people to see this terrific collection. I have always loved the impressionists and especially Monet but had no idea he did a lot of work outside of France. Loved his Venice and Netherland's work. He once said if it weren't for painting and gardening, he'd be nothing. Glad you were able to experience this exhibit.

Angie said...

LA - your passion for and interest in Monet's work really comes through in this post. You have such an eye for detail - I tend to look at art from a big picture perspective, so your "eye" made me examine the paintings more closely. I have always enjoyed Monet, and now I have an even deeper appreciation. Thank you