Tuesday, November 6, 2018

"Poodle with a Pearl"

"Poodle with a Pearl"  12" X 12" 
Today I am sharing my challenge piece for Art with Fabric Blog hop hosted by Alida at
 ( Art with Fabric Hop )
My quilt was inspired by Vermeer and his painting Girl with a Pearl earring. I saw an exhibit at the National Gallery of Art in DC a few years back. I've done almost 20 STAT quilts (see more here) over the past years, all interpreting a famous painter but in fabric with emphasis on texture.

I start by researching what made that Artist's work so outstanding. I try to learn from each piece I do.

Most of my STAT quilts have a poodle on them, as my muse for this project. This time I studied Vermeer and his capture of light and shadow. I used a photo of my poodle Milo so like the painting to me. Painting his portrait would have been easier! It's so much easier to mix color with paint than fabric.

I built the applique out of tiny shards of fabrics from the scrap bin in blues and blacks. I built it onto shirt tailor stabilizer because it's lightweight yet stable to do the embroidery on before auditioning backgrounds.

To be like Vermeer's painting,
1. I stayed in his color family of black, blue, shade of brown/tan with a strong blue (hat for him, ear in same kind of shape for me)
2. He used layers on layers of transparent paint to achieve shading, and I used layers and layers of different shades of fabric colors
3. I kept to the strong lines in content
4. I had a strong light source

I started on it Friday afternoon, and finished it Sunday afternoon... lots of adding of color and layers of stitching, layers of threads in metallic blue and silver, and black cotton. I added in a tiny bit of white pencil to form contrast of my black fabrics.

I liked how the fussy cut stars looked as eye highlights and hair highlights. I loved the way the blue ear color reflected her hat, and I pulled in bits of blue around him to repeat the color. I liked the challenge of doing it.


I did not like how it photographed, and how there could have been better contrast between shades of black if I'd had access to my whole stash. I tried to capture Milo's sincere little face but am not totally happy with my effort... still.... I love it. I learned, I sewed, I got lost in the process and it was fun.

I had some trouble finding my beads, but the largest pearl is real called a potato pearl for it's shape. The ones on his collar are a mix of real and faux. I made a dangle of the pearl on wire, twisting the top and bottom wire into what I hope is an artistic shape. I left fabric to ravel, and layered it without fusible so that edges would lift up creating more texture.
I loved this batik to represent the window (sliding back door) with it's view of nature and light. I quilted it in straight lines, unevenly placed to remind me of reflection on glass, using silver mylar thread for serious bling you probably can't see.

The floor was a brown hand dye from the scrap bin, so I had to make do with the size scrap and piece it together to have enough for the angular piece
I stitched increasingly farther apart straight lines to indicate a wood floor

In general, I do not draw out a pattern, I sketch rough lines on the stabilizer, and free hand cut shards of fabrics to fill in. I like to work in an additive way. Place fabric, stand back and cut another sliver, add that stitch, step back, repeat.


It all blends well when you see it in person, and my husband said the photos make the blue stand out more than in person... so come on over to see it! Or invite me to your guild for a presentation sometime!
linking to
 design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
lovelaughquilt.mondays 
http://emsscrapbag.                            
oh Scrap Sundays 
sewcanshe Saturdays
off the wall Fridays
can I get a whoop whoop Fridays  
myquiltinfatuation Thursdays
Esther's blog Wednesdays 
  Midweek makers wednesdays
http://tweloquilting.blogspot.com/
sew stitch snap share
 Free motion by the River Tuesdays    

45 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

it is an artpiece !! and not even jan vermeer could do it better!!! did you know that a guy bought the painting once for 2 guilders and 30 cents although it is worth ~24 millions? that sure was a bargain ;O)))

Moira said...

It came out lovely! Thanks for sharing your process.

PaintedThread said...

What a great choice of fabrics. Very ethereal. What a fun quilt!

Heather Pregger said...

You have done Milo proud! He has such a wonderful expressions in the photo and especially in your quilted piece!. I think this is fantastic, LeeAnna!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Oh that is awesome. Milo is a great model. I think he captured the look perfectly.

Norma Schlager said...

What a wonderful whimsical interpretation of the painting. Milo looks marvelous!

Sara said...

Fabulous! You really captured the facial expression!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

This Vermeer painting is one of my favorites but you mastered the feeling, color, shades of light so beautifully with this portrait of Milo. His eyes are so perfect. It was so worth all those hours you poured into it. Thank you. mary

Preeti said...

His eyes shine with love and compassion!!!

Lisa said...

Outstanding!! This is so fantastic. I love the combinations of color and texture...and the subject matter is absolutely adorable. You are so talented in sooo many ways. xoxox

Shannon said...

This turned out so good! The poodle is so expressive, the eyes especially, and you really captured the Vermeer inspiration. So glad you're sewing!

Sandy said...

I really like the effort you put in this. It has paid off!
I particularly like the pearl. It keeps it serious, where trying to figure a way to put it in his ear, would have been too much about recreating and not about being your work.
I like the cropped image which is side by side with Vermeer. It gives the tension of why are they looking back and at what?
Well done!

Christine Slaughter said...

Your art quilt is so amazing. I love the eyes, I think they turned out great. And the blue is absolutely perfect.

sonja said...

A pearl of a poodle! you can be renewed in spirit? at the piece you made and shared with the world of Milo de Pearl with that wayward glance, the look captured! i love the paws as well!!!

Farm Quilter said...

Lovely portrait of Milo! You did a fabulous job of creating a layered portrait...amazing!! I would love to see it in person!!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi LeeAnna! OMG - Milo in fabric. And perfect fabric at that. I just LOVE the name. Milo is so proud of you. Happy Tuesday! ~smile~ Roseanne

Tails Around the Ranch said...

It's beautiful and such a pawfect rendition of Milo.🐩

MissPat said...

Wow! Your artistic efforts are amazing. This is so realistic. If I tried to make a portrait of Milo, it wouldn't be recognizable as a poodle. Three cheers for a wonderful effort.
Pat

Barb said...

That is amazing!!

Mary in Boulder said...

This turned out great! The batik for the background was an especially inspired choice.

quiltedfabricart said...

It came out so good! The fussy cut stars were worth the effort and I love the blue. Of course with that face how can you go wrong ❤️❤️❤️

Julierose said...

Love your poodle pieces! this one is outstanding...The title is perfect...Milo must be so proud of his artistic Momma...hugs, Julierose

Susan said...

Not afraid of color, nor of work! I really liked your explanation of what you did, because it did help me see additional aspects about your piece that I would have missed without it. I kept having that same idea - that paint would have been easier to achieve what I wanted to have! In fact, although I might do what you suggested on my blog, I'm contemplating the idea of finding an art class at the community college or another inexpensive venue ... or maybe just more Bob Ross video. =) Thanks for sharing your process and for stopping by my blog with suggestions.

Claire said...

I love the way your piece echoes and deviates from the original! And I appreciated following along with your process.

piecefulwendy said...

This is amazing! You put so much work into it. I love the quilting and all the bling! Clever interpretation!

Nancy A. Bekofske said...

A wonderful quilt interpretation of Vermeer and your poodle!

Rebecca Grace said...

I LOVE that you swapped your poodle for Vermeer's model!! This piece is fabulous. I think I read a novel and/or saw a movie based on that painting, because there is a whole fictitious story in my head associated with the painting about how the girl is a servant in Vermeer's home who has all this artistic ability herself but can't express any of it because of her gender and station in life... and how the pearl earring belongs to Vermeer's wife and she's jealous... All totally made up but still fun!

LA Paylor said...

there was a book and a movie made from the book. I believe the basic facts are true. Not a lot is written about Vermeer compared to other famous artists, no quotes actually. I like to read actual quotes to tell me more about the person but none this time! They called him quiet

Susan said...

You did a great job with all the black - the picture is a tough one. Never saw the movie, but read the book - congrats on capturing his style.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Wowza wow-wow, LA! I love everything about it. The contrast of light and dark, very cool choice of batik, ooh-la-la. Thanks for describing your madness. I want to try it. Such a a different way of painting. And, quite refreshing.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love Milo with the Pearl Necklace! That is amazing - it was fun to learn more about your process, too. It sounds like your collection of fabric and poodle art pieces belongs in a show!

Jeanna said...

That is so cool and creative and it really does add a lot to do research. I like the eyes and tilt of the head, Milo is a great muse. A pretty quick turn around and I'm liking the name "potato pearl." A friend's mom bought me a craft kit to make a poodle with colored stones and maybe string when I was a kid. I had so much fun making that thing, will snap a photo if I find it (I am a pack rat about certain things). You make me want to read up on Vermeer again. I don't think I've seen an artist (or poodle) inspired quilt before, you are very talented.

Judy D in WA said...

OMGoodness! You are amazing!

Pamela said...

I love it! Not only is it great as an inspiration of the art, but it stands alone as a wonderful portrait of your dog! What a cutie. You did a great job on the eyes, they really bring life to your quilt.

Danice G said...

Lovely idea and quilt. I have always loved Veermer's painting.

Melva said...

Very nice interpretation! Excellent even. Thanks for sharing :)

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Lee Anna, what a great post. Thanks for sharing your process and Vermeer's art. I really like how your fabric adds light to your piece.

AlidaP said...

I absolutely love the finished piece, and I am always so fascinated and inspired by all the details of you share about the process of creating the beautiful piece!! Thank you so much for being part of the blog hop again!!

Angie said...

Wow, LeeAnna, this is spectacular. Your talent is bottomless, you know that? To create this from scratch … I am blown away. I also find that colors do not always capture well on camera - I often move things around the house trying to find a good light source without shadow … anyway, great job!!!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely piece of art!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

This turned out great. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Athena Cat Goddess Wise Kitty said...

That's lovely! Thanks for sharing it on our Caturday Art Blog Hop :)

Purrs xx
Athena and Marie

gayle said...

I have to tell you how successful you were with this piece - as soon as I saw the photo, before seeing any caption, I thought "Oh, that's the girl with a pearl earring!"
Perfect!

Nann said...

Your pearl-bedecked poodle is wonderful!!

Susie H said...

Your Poodle with a Pear is pretty cool. I'm always amazed at the process of art quilts. Great job!