Thursday, May 22, 2014

Hawaii A-Moo-Ha !


I wanted to show you my State Challenge piece all finished! I called it A Moo Ha and it's 45" X 35"
I shared some of the construction along the way on these posts, Quilted text and making of the hibiscus flowers and how I made the sun and pineapples
This is a bit closer and remember you can click on pictures to see them larger. 
She's a full figured gal, with a lot of hip to jut out when swingin' that grass skirt. I plan to write an article on that process but it was fun and messy! Note her bra top, with seashells, and her flower lei made of sequins and seed beads. Her boyfriend is playing a ukelele and mooooning over her. 
I made her like a doll, with stuffing,  and then sewed her to the quilt last.
The surfboard also stands out from the quilt and used one of my special hoarded old fabrics.I just cut out the words RonJon and fused them on, because I fondly remember going to a RonJon shop once.
The palm tree came out just the way I wanted, and I quite enjoyed how the quilting looked, note two wooden heart coconuts. The little stone in front of the surfboard says "laugh" so... go ahead and laugh!

I chose the wilder of the two pineapples and I loved the wavy line quilting on it. I have never done that kind of thing but it seemed called for. Looks like someone had a mai tai or two while quilting doesn't it??
The hibiscus were scrunched up while
appliqueing/quilting them to add dimension. They are
beaded by hand with a few iron on crystals for good
measure.
You can see the quilting along the sand. I had some questions about leaving some unquilted area for movement. I think there has been a trend for several years to over quilting, filling a space so much that there is little drape or contrast and I wondered if judges have been seeing that so much they won't appreciate my attempt at sand dunes. I decided I like it and left it with some echo lines and un quilted areas.
 Here are the flowers on the other side  shown close up. Lots of metallic threads including halograph mylar. Really shiny. In the right light it really glistens like dew on a petal. Beads, sequins and crystals for the stamens.
I entered it in our guild challenge. It did not win any prizes, but when we went up to tell a bit about our quilts, the audience ooooohed. I thought, come on! You just saw it over there! It was in shadow though so when it caught the light it performed the way it does at home. Lighting is important.
One guild member commented " I thought it was Hawaii until I saw the cow. They only have brown cows there"  (Picture my reaction) I said, "I don't let  reality interrupt my life too much" Really! That's what made her reject Hawaii despite the hibiscus, volcanoes, beaches palm tree, tiny 3 inch log cabin blocks with flamingoes in each center, pineapple, and surfboard??
Not the fact that the cow was dancing on her hind hooves wearing a grass skirt accompanied by a ukelele playing boy. hmph.
Shrug, I might be slightly less traditional than most around here. I like it.
LeeAnna
linked to bloggers quilt festival http://amyscreativeside.com/bloggers-quilt-festival/


28 comments:

Maria said...

I've said it once...I will say it again ..it's a winner! I love it! Love that Hula skirting Moo Cow... She is Moo-licious!

Shari - a prim and (not so) proper quilter said...

This is fabulous! I love everything about it.

Amy @ Amy's FMQ Adventures said...

That is freakin' fabulous! Udderly fantastic!

Carole @ Fresh off the Frame said...

Totally original and enjoyable! Moo-licious!

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna!
Great quilt art work! This one's a big piece!
I only miss the smell of coconut oil sun tan lotion! LOL! And sand between my toes!
Love all the details! The reflections in the water and mountains and sky!
Now I know what to do the next time I see that cool fabric that I left behind a market because I didn't know what to do with it!
Thanks for sharing this !
Take care,
Joanne

Norma Schlager said...

What a fabulous, fun quilt! (All the good puns are taken).

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

I love it! The colors are great. The composition of all of the things you included like the sun, the water, the sand and the pineapple blocks are perfect. The surf board the hibiscus flowers, palm tree and the cows, the mountains, the sky are fabulous! Love the quilting too. It definitely looks like a prize winner to me. Wonderful quilt!!!

Gisela Towner said...

What a great way to start my day -- seeing your awesome quilt! Absolutely love it!

ChristaQuilts said...

What a beautiful quilt! The quilting adds so much gorgeous texture!

CitricSugar said...

LOL. Cows aren't native to Hawaii anyway - maybe someone ordered a special one for their farm. Or maybe that cow's on vacation after a hard season at the dairy! She doesn't know...! :-)

Great work.

Cathy Perlmutter said...

LeeAnna, that is gorgeous AND hilarious!!!! A good combination!

LA Paylor said...

you all are wonderful! Your comments help me feel connected to the greater world of quilters, the ones who also enjoy a laugh!
LeeAnna

Shauna said...

It may not be traditional, but I think it too funny. I love love love the cows.

MulticoloredPieces said...

This is so much fun!--beautiful colors and I really like the row of patchwork along the bottom that brings in a memory of patchwork.
best, nadia

Sylvia said...

Fun piece!

Peggi Yac said...

LeeAnna- She's udderly wonderful!

Sherri said...

So whimsical! Brought a smile to my face. :)

Sandra said...

It is so different. I like it.

Funky Diva said...

OMG LeeAnna, your moo quilt is wonderful. I love all the wonderful details and you are right. It is full of whimsy and really makes you smile. I hope you will let us know how it does in the state challenge. Maggie Winfield in Arizona

SIMPLESEW said...

I hope you win, its fun ! hoping over from linky party at Patchouli Moon

Heidi said...

Great finish! There is so much great detail - a true work of art!
You are a no-reply blogger, but I really wanted to thank you for commenting on my blog :-)

Glenda said...

It is worth every one of the stitches you spent on it and all the hours, there is so much to see in all area's from the stunning foreground edge to how you made the Hibiscus, but my favourite has to me Moo LOL. Cheers glenda

Lori said...

This is so cute. I love the hibiscus. Very original. Thank you for your vote!

wlstarn said...

Are your tiny pineapples pre printed "cheater cloth?"
Surely, you must have used a pattern for that quilt. And a pre-programmed embroidery machine, because, you know, an actual person couldn't possibly be that original (Despite the fact that someone has to program the machine).
Yes, I am being snarky. I've heard all that stuff, too. Brown cows, sheesh!
At least they could imagine that you have an imagination!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

This can not get more adorable!! Love your talents! Please do stop by and check out our Tuesday Archive themes this week: Color Wheels, Crafty Projects and Crazy Quilts...I think you'll have a lot to rejuvenate and share with us for sure! myplvl.blogspot.com :)V

PugMom said...

Mooove over Don Ho! Love it and I give you first prize!

Patchwork Mill, Maria said...

Your quilt is amazing and I love your colors!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Fantastic & so creative... a real WOW!