Saturday, May 10, 2014

Emerald stained glass


 Emeralds for May! The scrap challenge color this month over at
so scrappy is emerald green. Check out the other links, it's fun!

I have an overflowing green scrap bin, as I use a lot of greens in my quilts. Do you find you tend to make quilts in a certain color?
A lot of my quilts seem to be turquoise, fuschia, and green based.

Well, I can't say that... I love every color with beige being on the bottom of the choice heap.

I made the stained glass block again, this time with greens. Here are the other month's colors all quickly placed on the wall for a picture. Blue, pink, teal, purple, and green. The individual blocks will have black around each one in the end... I think. We'll see.



Do you like one layout over another? grouping the colors or mixing them up? Imagine all the possibilities after the year is over!

It's quite fun looking though for fabrics with movement, mixing pattern and shade to keep the feeling of a color while subtly mixing in others.
I seldom am able to keep to just one tone, it makes it flat to me.
The excitement comes in with light to dark, yellowish to bluish, an
unexpected splash of a totally different color within the base color.

BTW, the green scrap bin is still overflowing it's banks! Makes me feel rich.
LeeAnna

17 comments:

Julie in GA said...

I love your stained glass blocks! Right now I would vote for mixing all the colors together when you join them like in your last photo, but who knows what might happen by the end of the year. It's going to be beautiful either way!

Nell's Quilts said...

Your stained glass blocks sparkle. I'm not sure which setting I prefer. I like the transitions when you group the blocks. It's easier on the eye. The other mixed up layout makes the eye dance around the setting. Depends on what you want smooth transitions or busy dance party.

dq said...

Beautiful fabric and color choices. I love the pattern too.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I like them scattered about (rather than kept side by side). These are so striking!

scraphappy said...

I think playing with the layout when you have all your blocks done will all be part of the fun. I tend to like the colors grouped as it makes it seem more rainbowy.

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Looks beautiful. Thanks for linking up to Weekend Link Party.

Marly said...

I prefer the mixed up layout. This is such a terrific block and you have made such dynamic fabric combinations, it's great either way.

Cathy said...

I must be the oddball that likes the colors grouped together! No matter how you lay it out it will be an awesome quilt.

LA Paylor said...

Cathy seems to be half and half on layout, you'd never be an oddball!! I don't even know what will be better yet! Thanks so much for taking the time to visit and comment!
LeeAnna

Sally Trude said...

I love the way this is coming together. I prefer mixed up. And also wonder what would happen if you got some multicolored fabrics mixed in. But yes...way too early to tell.

sonja said...

i love bouncing about, perhaps with the lighter colors in center or a beam.across. lovely way to play!

Sheila said...

Beautiful fabrics and blocks. I suggest mixing them up : )

Kathy said...

This is a fun study in color and I love watching this progress. It will be so much fun to play with before you decide on a final layout. The stained glass block was a great choice for this!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I too enjoy watching the progress of this quilt. Funny how our quilts change as they progress....

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

Very cool! I love stained glass and anything inspired by it! I like the color blocked layout better, but both are pretty spiffy!

Sweet Woodruff said...

Stained glass blocks and quilts always pull me in. They are so beautiful and I have yet to try them. This quilt is going to be beautiful!!! LOVE all the jewel tones.

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna!
Green! Green! A gardeners favorite color! Along with all those flower colours! Looks great!
The layout at the end of the year will be a fun play day!
Take care,
Joanne