Saturday, June 13, 2020

sewing saturday round-up of the week

My painting is leading to sewing...
It all started with the pink flower painting, printed three times on fabric.
Left: paper print
middle: color fabric print
Right: lightly shaded black and white with pencil color
In order to pencil color on, I printed a black and white washed out shadow version. Prismacolor pencils blend well on fabric, then heat set with iron.

I finished the black and white version earlier,

When the color of the month at RSC turned to pink, I took out my pink scrap bin, and noted some rounded pieces left from cutting some blocks last year.

Hmmmm, they kind of reminded me of my paintings... what if...

which led to this... almost finished piece.
in process of adding stamens of beads all around her face
now the fourth in series of pink flowers. I'll give details of that when she's done.
 If I can come up with 8 more designs I have the year's worth of 12" art quilts for my local group challenge.
palestrina knot stitch
I have spent a lot of time learning new complex embroidery stitches thru the online course with Sue Spargo... I ended up ordering her manual because my head is so full of stress these days I can't remember how I did the stitches and blueprint is going away soon.
detail pics of embroidery HERE

I also finished Life Is Messy

If you remember, I made it from a day's exercise to collage fusible backed strips and pieces.  It was quilted, bound and embellished this week.
details of embellishments
On a more trivial point, I figured out a way to secure a tablecloth to my patio table this week. I never had this issue in MD but here in windy, blustery, wind-blowing-down-the-plains Colorado where the actual metal furniture is often blown off the patio, I needed a solution. I quickly sewed bias binding strips (old coats and clark) to four corners of the cloth, tied opposite corners together under the table, and voila! It stays on!
I might need to add two more strips as the wind is mighty here!

Linking to

http://frombolttobeauty.blogspot.com/
off the wall Fridays
tgiffriday
can I get a whoop whoop Fridays  
myquiltinfatuation Thursdays
http://www.inquiringquilter.com/ Wednesday wait loss
Midweek makers wednesdays
lovelaughquilt.mondays
design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts
oh Scrap Sundays 
patchwork Sunday    
Pink Saturday!
 scrap happy Saturdays

21 comments:

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna,
Beautiful! Colourful days! Pink! Love how it's all coming together!
great idea for the tablecloth! Here you can get small clip on weights that do nothing but make noise when they blow around with the table cloth!
hugs,
Joanne

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Life is Messy is wonderful, and so true! Looks like that was a lot of fun to make!

Kat Scribner said...

Well, what a fabulous face !!! Love it.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lovely bits of PINK in all of your projects this week, LeeAnna! Finished and in progress, too. Way to work through some of your scrap fabrics!

hetty said...

Thanks for the tip on colouring with pencil crayons. I would never have thought that was possible. I absolutely love, love, love your Life is Messy quilt!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

BTW - love your patio set. I too have lost my outdoor tablecloth due to wind so I bought those tablecloth clips but they aren’t strong enough. Love your pink lady.
Mary

LA Paylor said...

prisma pencils are soft enough to blend and cling to fabric, don't know about any other brands. Happy coloring!
LeeAnna

PaintedThread said...

Your pink-haired lady is amazing!

Marly said...

What a splendid flower lady! She deserves a special place in your house, casting serenity all around.

grammajudyb said...

My! Your art is awesome! Life is Messy is wonderful!
Thanks for the idea about the patio tablecloth. I feel your pain. Wyoming is windy too.....I usually just leave the table cloth off!! LOL!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Fabulous projects! I love your pink lady flower, very creative. Life is messy is beautiful, and I love the cupcake, smiley and clock embellisments ;)
Thank you for sharing your pretty projects with Patchwork & Quilts link party!

MissPat said...

How did I miss this post? I wondered why you didn't have a sewing post for Saturday. Your pink lady is wonderful and Life is Messy is truth in action.
Pat

Elkes Lebensglück said...

*Wow* that is wonderful projcts!!!!
Greetings Elke

Quilter Kathy said...

LOVE the messy life project! Great job on that!
And that fancy knot stitch is so cool!
Thanks for sharing your fun with us!

Sara said...

Every project is fun! Life is Messy just makes you keep looking for new details. And that delightful face project. Great creativity!

Joyce said...

"Life is Messy" is just amazing!So much to explore.

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Beautiful work. Love your use of color and style. Messy is OK, you should see my sewing room when I have a project going.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Love the collage and look forward to more details on the beautiful pink flower lady.

My Tata's Cottage said...

Beautiful pinks! I will have to share your tablecloth tip with my girls. WE have lots of barbeques this time of year (Colorado native here!) and those tablecloths flapping in the breeze are frustrating. Thank you and I Love your art. Lovely! HUGS xo

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Your embroidery looks great. Can't wait to see more of it. Thanks for linking up with Thank Goodness it's Finished Friday.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

So many wonderful projects. I'm in awe of your artistry! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.