Saturday, March 30, 2024

creativity this week: watching paint dry, Table Scraps challenge finish, and a purple feathered star block

 

16.5" square
I'll start with this month's feathered star block, done in purple scraps for RSC.

I like the mix of purple prints and tones, and from the scraps from making the block

 (scraps from scraps)

I made this 5" X 7" something...

5" X 7"  so far...

here are the three colors so far...

I like how the tula pink background blends together


I use a foundation paper piecing pattern from this book

For this month's Table scraps challenge I used scraps from last week's PQ irish chain quilt

I layered them on a tone on tone white fabric, and a piece of batting, then hand stitched with thick threads from ArtFabrik. layered raw edges overlapping, held in place with stitching.

6" X 8"

Joy's challenge this month was to use purple scraps and put a bird on it. I listened to a book on audio, and got into the zen of stitching, going through the three layers, a mix of running, chain, fly, whip, cross stitches plus French Knots. 

how fun, how soothing, how pretty to see the thread colors and textures. All size 8 perle cotton

I LOVE how the running stitch around the whole looks! I want to do more colorful threads on white to show them off. It's small and I thought it might be the first page in my hand embroidery book but it's an inch too wide. really? this comes from no planning! So I decided to make a small tilt quilt to put on the mantel. 

I wrapped the finished embroidery over a piece of peltex stiff stabilizer pulling it to the back. 

To cover that and the exposed peltex, I turned under the edge of fabric cut to be slightly smaller than the piece, and glued it to the back


at first I planned to put bugle beads around the whole outside edge but I kind of like it like it is...what do you think, beads or no beads, that is the question

In paint/drawing news...

I'm doing pentangle video lessons in my scrap junk journal... here are two examples

Here is another weird shape but was fun to do and shade to look 3-d

from this  easy to follow tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoZfphFTdD0
 

and one morning I just wanted to swipe colors on the page... then ink over them

nothing fancy, watercolors, a water brush, copier paper, ink pens

I just gathered papers I'd copied but no longer wanted, folded them in half into a book, and paint over whatever shows up as I flip the pages. 

that's it for this week. Happy making to my creative peeps!

linking with

table scraps challenge


design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/

finished or not

https://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/

https://beadwright.blogspot.com/



 


23 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Thsoe feathered star block patterns are gorgeous!

Sara said...

What eye candy you've shared today! Wow! I love the little flamingo on your small piece. Beads on the edge - yes! I can already picture them. The feathered star blocks are going to be so elegant together.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Your range of creativity always amazes me! I too love those feathered stars.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fly stitches, flamingos and some fun drawings, too... LOVE!!!

maggie fellow said...

beautiful feathered star

quiltingbydawn said...

The feathered star is a pretty block for the RSC! I really like your little table scrap piece with the bird on it. Lovely hand stitching! I don't think I would put beads on it. I used to do some zentangles, but never heard of pentangles. I'll have to take a look! Thanks for sharing.

PaintedThread said...

Ooh - I really like those feathered star blocks!

Susie H said...

LeeAnna, all your projects are beautiful this week. Love the feathered star and yes, the Tula works perfectly and will continue to work with all the other colors. That includes yellow for next month! I say no to the beads. That project is beautiful as is. Your embroidery is the icing on the cake. Hope you have a good weekend!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

The Tulla Pink background fabric really lets your stars shine. Your Zentangle post reminds how much I miss creating a weekly Zentangle. I frequently turned to Kelsey for ideas. Speaking of ideas... wouldn't it be fun to combine one of your water color washes with a Zentangle?

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Another gorgeous feathered star block, and they also look so beautiful all together. Fun project with flamingoes and embroidery stitches, colorful and cheerful!
Thank you for sharing your work in progress and drawings!

Kim said...

The Tula Pink fabric is a wonderful background for those feather stars; so pretty. As ever you've enjoyed a week of creative busyness.

Julie in GA said...

You have so many beautiful projects in the works! Those feathered star blocks are gorgeous, and the Tula background is perfect for them!

Norma Schlager said...

I haven’t stopped by in awhile and look at what I’ve missed. Love your feathered star and the background fabric, Your little flamingo piece is fabulous. I like how you have displayed it and I vote for no beads. It is perfect the way it is.

Rebecca Grace said...

I am not a good person to ask about adding bead bling. As far as I'm concerned, the answer to Beads Or No Beads is always BRING ON THE BEADS! Restraint is a virtue I can only admire in others, sadly... ;-). Oh my gosh, your feathered stars are looking amazing! I think the Tula background fabric is absolutely perfect, too. I'm in awe of your creative productivity, always working in so many different mediums and different projects simultaneously and every one of them is delightful!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Your quilting projects always amaze me - so intricate and detailed - and your use of color is so beautiful. I do love the hand-stitching on the patchwork and the beads would be lovely, too. Your ink and watercolor journal is beautiful. So many pretty little things... Hope you are seeing some signs of spring this week. xx K

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Love the Tula fabric for the feathered star blocks, LeAnna. Your table scraps challenge is great and I LOVE the little art quilt. Honestly, I like it without the beads, I think!! Great stitches on that. Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Love Tula and that background is perfect for your happy blocks. The Table Scraps mini is adorable! I say no beads because it's perfect right now as is. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/04/03/wednesday-wait-loss-374

Marsha Cooper said...

I like the pieces with the hand stitching. They are so interesting.

Angie said...

LeeAnna - you are amazing - all these pieces of art that you have created! I especially like your drawings and painting - so free and so beautiful!

Enjoy the rest of your week!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Beautiful feathered star blocks!!! And I love your flamingo mini! I think the beads would look great, if you have the time and patience for it. I might not!

DVArtist said...

I just don't know where to start. The quilting is stunning. The color and the way you coordinate them is so artistic. I know how much time it take to do all of this and I am impressed. I also love your watercolor. Thank you for joining FFO and have a lovely weekend.

Angie in SoCal said...

YOU are so talented!! Love the star blocks. And that table scrap challenge is gorgeous!! You inspire us. Blessings,

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

your purples are SO pretty!! and with the other blocks - wow - they just sparkle!!!