Thursday, April 4, 2024

I Like Thursday # 396 Easter Basket, two stories for you, one of a beach one of a poodle

 
welcome to this week's list of likes...

A bunny hops into a house with a basket of gifts...

 
See's candies two truffle eggs, orange cicle lolly's, Irish cream truffles, and butterscotch chocolates. Oh and a new ball and a new shark and some power bites for Milo!

Fine dining

 more garbanzo bean soup with cuban spices (adobo), potato, carrot, celery, leeks and onion, beans and broth simmered til tender

a secret ingredient is some perpperacini vinegar brine poured into the cup to eat. Adds excitement to the bowl

audio books

this series by a fave author,  Ellery Adams,    feels magical around the mysteries sort of reminiscent of Alice Hoffman but maybe more approachable. I'm on book two of the charmed pie series that is revealing layers of storyline as it progresses

Peach Pies and Alibis

 I'm studying spoken Italian via this audiobook from the library... 30 min lessons one a day. 

pimsler method

  our prompt this week... amusement park or day at the beach

Rehoboth beach Maryland, vintage photo with Cole-buddy

I know it's hard to pick one preference when you like both but it sort of makes you define yourself a bit

I used to go to Disney World often... I LOVE it. I used to go to Busch Gardens often and love it too. 

but...

I'm a beach baby at heart. I grew up near the beaches in Florida, and went all year to find peace. The west coast of florida beaches have soft white sand and gentle warm water. 

I love the breeze, the feel of soft white clean sand, the smell of suntan lotion, the sound of the waves crunching over the cocina shells, the sound of gulls calling to each other, the way floating feels with a gentle push from waves, the way water refreshes sun heated skin. 

I would show up, choose a spot, set up my beach chair and towel, my drink and magazine, take off my shorts and put on a hat. Imagine sifting soft sand through your fingers, lifting a handfull and letting it sift through slightly open fingers. Repeat. 

NO music please, just the sound of nature. Palm trees sing a song as wind ruffles their fronds. Waves are rhythmic as they sing of water movement starting far away, ending on the beach in a soft  woosh. 

gulls sing "I found some human snacks come see!" They soar and swoop in the air to a song we don't hear. Theirs is a dance done on air waves we can't see.

The sand is wet along the shore, changing how it feels between toes. 

It's cool, you sink down into it a bit with each wave. It's fun the way waves sometimes come far up the shore but other times stop just short of your feet. 

Coquinas still living in their shells surface with a wave, then quickly dig back down and tickle your feet if you're in their way. 

long walks on the shoreline where it's easy to forget how far you've gone if you let go. Just walk. 

of course there are the annoyances of  flung frisbees, of shore surfers on pieces of cardboard, of people feeding the gulls on purpose, of loud music, of screaming children, but there is the entertainment of watching people in various states of undress, in various states of physical health, the super tan oldsters who look like tanned leather. Big butts wobbling with a slight string up them as their swimsuit. There are the strutters who know they're being admired, just ask them. There are the kids carrying buckets of water up to make castles in the sand. Sadly there is trash abandoned as if the garbage fairies will cart it away. 

sometimes there was redtide when it smelled like the dying fish it contained. Sometimes there are jellyfish or sharks, but sometimes there are dolphins. 

The pier is made of buckling old wooden slats, and feels warm on bare feet. You can look down to see some creatures, or watch old men patiently fishing. At the end of the pier you stand and look out, looking out so far you don't see the end and know you're just a small part of the whole

sewing last week

 

and drawing this week... more art talk on Saturday's post!


 watching on youtube

 OMG I can't believe all these easy methods to make cooking and cleaning easier! wowie! 

link to the video or watch from above


Milo's Moment

 

I got a new shark! I never had a pet shark before!
Hiya Milo here to discuss people and their sounds

Mama: speaking of which, we used to call you a shark as your baby teeth could rip anything apart. People used to ask if you were going to be a standard poodle, (oy vey) and daddy would say "we think he's part pterodactyl" 

I gots a new kong ball too! yipee! my others are all broke-down
 ahem, my turn mama

My mama is a BIG sound maker, some of them are to the Daddy, some to me, some to the thing she taps on that sits on the table (computer) 

I have lived with these two hoomans for years now and have learned when mama's sounds stop a little higher the daddy is supposed to take over. I watch the Mama trying to make sense of her, and when that happens, I look to the daddy. I never know what he means! When he stops I look back at the mama. 

some sounds seem to mean something I learned. Like "eat" or "treat" or goforawalk and the good one "cookies" Some I don't like. When I hear wait it means I'm not getting what I want right now. 

the curse word is "ears" it means mama will touch me inappropriately in my sore ears and pull hair out or put drops in. 

the other curse word is Bath. Sometimes when the daddy says that I run to the mama for safety. I lean against her and growl at the daddy just to let him know to get over this scheme to drown me. He disappears upstairs, so I relax a little with the mama who by now is petting me, then he comes back down in his swimsuit!!! What a nut-case he is! 

He'll say bath again, I growl (I can do this all day y'all) and then has the nerve to manhandle my person away from Mama, and sometimes even pick me up bodily and carry me up the stairs. 

well! how rude! As if I couldn't run up twice as fast as he does if I wanted to. I prove that every time I race him to get the stuffed toy he threw up there. 

is this my good side? (see my new ball? I carry it around with me to show it the house)

so, they make a lot of sounds all the day long, but I'm not allowed to bark to chase off intruders I see through the window. Sure I bark loudly, you have to, to be heard through walls but sheesh! at least I'm working and it makes sense unlike their sounds 

now please visit these people to see what they liked this week

https://wordweaverart.blogspot.com/ 

https://tentoesinthewater.blogspot.com/ 

https://canadianneedlenana.blogspot.com/  

grammajudyb.blogspot.com

https://comfortspiral.blogspot.com/


 
   LINKING WITH 

               friday smiles 


15 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Milo, I'm SHOCKED at your Mama's curse words!

Angela said...

I love your writing about the beach. Took me right back there. Well done!

Sara said...

Poor mistreated Milo! LOL It's funny how quickly they learn certain words. My childhood dog knew WALK, and would run and get her leash that always hung over the doorknob to the cellar. They are awfully smart.

I'm a beach girl too. A whole day on the beach reading a good book would be an ideal vacation choice for me. But I have definitely enjoyed some amusement park excursions too.

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the beach. I love the beach or just water in general. Going to the beach or the lake is so calming for me. It gives me peace.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I chose the beach too! I agree with your feelings toward the beach. So calming! I love you're learning Italian. This week's sewing and drawing are both great!!

Cloudia said...

Hi Milo! Fun beach Post! Aloha


https://comfortspiral.blogspot.com/2024/04/like-we-used-to.html?m=0

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your beach photo reminded me of Cape Cod! The soup looks yummy, too, and I love your table scraps piece. Milo, you're so smart, learning all those words. It's good to know what's going on, isn't it?!

Tigger's Mum said...

Great writing about the beach but I'm not sold. I love the sea, hate sand, can't do sun. I used to cross the road at sunset to swim in the sea, scramble down the rocks, swim (often on my back watching swifts and house martens swooping over the inlet), then sit on the warm rocks drying as the light faded, enjoying the dragon flies and finally the bats that hunted over the acacia.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Oh yea, I love the beach, the sights, the sounds, the smells. That soup looks great and that cooking hack with the Nutella was really cool. Hey Milo, that is once cool shark! Thanks for joining Angel Brian's Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Kathleen said...

The ocean/beach/sand is my favorite... I never that I would live on an island but so grateful I do. Milo does crack me up....but I feel bad that someone uses that bad word in his house once too often!

PaintedThread said...

When I lived in Rehoboth MA - any time I did a search, it would pop up with Rehoboth beach. Nice to see a photo from there! LOL. Good stuff. Loved that video on the cooking/cleaning tips.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What a great post! I loved it all, and I am so glad I found you again. You have definitely made me NEED a trip to the beach!

sonja said...

i am a beach girl at heart. long ago, i picked a college with a coastline nearby after graduation (Hart High school was way way inland...) Long Beach State was great and my first freedom. To this day i have a boogie board,still!
Now i live 2 miles from the oceans edge, by car, however, i can see the breakers from the bluff. Ah,the fragrance of coconut scented sunscreen makes me feel like a kid again.

Annie said...

Milo you make me smile. Your mama really shouldn’t use rude words should she? I wouldn’t want someone pulling hairs out of my ears either.
Hugs,
Annie x

The Joyful Quilter said...

I love the sound of the waves and I'm with you on the NO music wish at the beach, LeeAnna! Congratulations on your new pet shark, Milo. Does he still have his tail and fins? :P