Saturday, March 23, 2024

Creativity this week Two finishes Project Quilting & Stay at home round robin... done!

 

Whew! what a week, so much studio time to finish two big projects, Stay at home round robin (SAHRR)  and Project quilting (Irish chain)  

Just so you know, also this week I wrote a few stories, made ink and paper drawings, and cooked. 

(I am starting with the round robin, then we will see the Project quilting piece. If you're only here for PQ feel free to scroll down)

The first image is the center of my quilted SAHRR and here it is finished, including a hanging sleeve!

about 32" square

If you've been seeing these finishes you know about the prompts. We start with a center. Next was autograph blocks that I interpreted as a trellis. Next up was 2 colors, for me, gray and green, grass and rocks/ rock wall. Next was triangles, and I did flying geese plus the hourglass blocks in the sky. then square in a square, the sunflower fabric on the right. "Four" became the four patches on the left, and the bottom pathway. Finally, prompt was words, and I printed a quote for the top. 

I took a lot of care with quilting, lots of threads, lots of different plans and designs. I try to keep it evenly quilted so that it hangs well... here is a pic with the initial straight line quilting to secure it

yep, all my quilts are done on this small home machine

then a pic of the finished quilting...just before binding...

I added a sleeve before binding... 

cut 6" across width of quilt

I baste it on the top edge, opened up, hand baste inside the fold line, then fold it up to catch in the binding. 

no difficult hand stitching after the quilt is done. 

a dragonfly and a bee were appliqued on for fun, stitched down with metallic threads then trimmed and ready to hang on the rod in the family room! Thank you to the organizers for a fun challenge!!!

 

                              Next up is the Project quilting challenge. 

The prompt this week is irish chain as inspiration. We have one week from idea to finish to make a quilted item. I wanted a table runner for Easter... and started with fabric of course...

I wanted a variety of pastel colors 

 made 8 9-patch blocks with variety in each one, chose a pretty vintage lavendar print for the background blocks... I only had a small amount left, and it's just so pretty....

the pastels don't make a strong chain effect but that's okay with me. It felt so good to work in these colors. I started this Thursday, and finished Friday night! Whee! which meant not a lot of quilting, mostly walking foot, with some starts and stops... and a machine done binding

I used an old pretty scrap in the same colors, that reminds me of dandelions. A striped binding done completely on machine, and stitched to the front with purple metallic mylar thread

look how the colors remind me of another PQ project!
about 28" X 23"

so a busy week.... I am relieved to say both challenges are done for this year. I'm tired of the rushing they require, but love what came of them... 

it's satisfying to meet a challenge, to figure out a prompt, to be part of this network of talented quilt makers! 

For my rainbow scrap challenge peeps, I used purple scraps to piece this!

 linking with

project quilting 

stay at home round robin finishes


design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/monday-musings-6-26-23/ 

finished or not

https://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/

https://beadwright.blogspot.com/



 



18 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That dragonfly is gorgeous!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

This is a beautiful finish, Leeanna! I love how your SAHRR turned out. Thanks for quilting along with us this year!

PaintedThread said...

Ooh - I really like the pastel Irish chain! That round robin looks fantastic, too.

Maggie said...

Great results and excellent finish projects!

Kathy E. said...

Both projects are beautiful examples of how to use colorful, coordinated fabrics! Now you have a few more lovely projects to add to your collection and home decor!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a week, LeeAnna!! Incredible speed on your new Easter table runner. Darling details in your SAHRR and way to work in the Color of the Month for the RSC in your entry for Project QUILTING!!

Astrid said...

You've had a busy week. Congrats on both finishes! Love your SAHRR, it turned out so beautiful, and so did the table runner. Have a relaxing Sunday!

Betty C said...

That is a great summer themed quilt.

Susie H said...

Gorgeous! I love the dragonfly border with those lovely pastels. Sweet, sweet, sweet!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

You did great with both challenges! Your SAHRR is lovely and I enjoyed following your choices and interpretation of the prompts. Beautiful quilting too!
The second challenge is very pretty, I love these soft colors, and the floral border is so cute!
Thank you for sharing these finishes!

Quilting Gail said...

Congratulations on your 2 finishes!!! Your SAHRR looks fantastic! I love how you did each of the various prompts! Such fun! And the Irish Chain quilt is lovely - so soft and pretty!
Thanks for participating in SAHRR '24 and for linking up!
quilting gail

grammajudyb said...

Both projects turned out great! Your SAHRR is just perfect and the Pastel Irish Chain checks all the boxes. I just love purple! I'm ready for pastels, Easter colors and Spring like weather. but no...snowing to day (SUNDAY).

PersimonDreams said...

I love them both!! great work!

Kathleen said...

Your SAHRR is fabulous. I love the addition of dragonfly and bee. The Irish Chain is so springy - it makes me smile. Cold and miserable end to March here.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your SAHRR is a beautiful finish, LeeAnna! I love all the garden and sunflower related details. And the dragonfly is the perfect added touch!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Two lovely finishes! This week sure was busy but you have some pretty things to show for it. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/03/27/wednesday-wait-loss-373

Judy Biggerstaff said...

You have been pushing hard to get your projects done. Love the dragonfly applique and the border fabric is so happy. Your sunflower is beautiful.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

What? Two finishes in a single week. That's impressive. I love the starting block for your SARR.