Saturday, March 9, 2024

creativity this week, Project Quilting challenge met, purple scraps used and a few sketches for fun

 

see the fashionable ladies who lunch???
This was Project Quilting week, meaning we were given a prompt of "wearable" and one week to design, make and finish a project. She said we could include clothing fabric
cupcakes, fat chefs, chocolates!

repurpose a wearable

like an old Christmas apron?

or make something to actually wear, and I needed an apron so...

I picked fabrics starting with the fancy chefs, and fussy cut some strips to use, started piecing them large enough to cover the apron...

I cut around the apron with enough to fold under to stitch to the edge of the apron, and made a leeeetle ruffle of a scrap of dotted fabric just big enough to cut a few bias 2" strips. 


Fold those in half and gather , insert into the bottom stitching. A few quilting lines to secure the lightweight fabric to the canvas xmas apron, and it's done! 

the little ruffle reminds of of 50's aprons, plus looks good from the xmas side

I may not love to cook, but do an awful lot of it, now I can giggle every time I see the candy, cupcakes, fancy chefs, and fat ones!!!

I spent some time watching some drawing videos... one was 8 lessons to try starting with single line drawings (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U5B8kCsvME)

I have paper by the computer to write morning pages sometimes, so I grabbed one and sketched what I saw, coffee mug, fork and glasses. I usually hate that form of drawing but actually enjoyed it this morning. Maybe because I used my fountain pen in deep black, the flow of ink, the scritch of metal as the pen dances across paper... I've always loved a fountain pen

On this day, I watched a video by Lucky Luna art... two zentangles... those are great because they show you step by step how to draw intricate images. Just add a line, then another, then another... I like how the serrated leaf is made by little dashes, then go back with a v inserted between them! Shade a bit with pencil and brushstix to blend it

The color of the month at rainbow scrap challenge is purple. I  watched my friend Cindy making a Kwandi style quilt to go behind her bed, where you prepare a backing, batting, and then hand stitch squares to it. I never tried that so, I thought make a little one with some purple scraps to try it.

5" X 8"

It was tedious to turn little edges, hold while hand stitching, but I think I got the idea at least and used some scraps. I played with my embroidery threads, loving how the colors show, not worrying the least about stitch length or being even or anything other than letting my mind wander a bit

I liked the little french knots with thick perle cotton, the flowers, running stitch with french knots added in. Then it didn't fit well into my new book for hand stitching things (from two weeks ago)


 so I played with it enjoying the feel of it, the slight gathering that big stitch makes, the texture and subtle colors until...

it became a camera case for my point and shoot. Yep, a canon, I like much much more than my iphone camera...
the back

when you fold it you get to see little cropped bits... and notice different things. I liked doing the chain stitch, I closed in some buttonhole stitch to become little boxes... I do love handwork and might add some into my sunflower piece after it's quilted. 

happy creating!

project quilting #5


design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/monday-musings-6-26-23/ 

finished or not

https://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/

https://beadwright.blogspot.com/ 









13 comments:

PaintedThread said...

What a fun apron!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Both your apron and the camera case are adorable! I've never tried Kawandi stitching either, but would like to. I suppose I should just jump in and get started!

Helen said...

Pretty leaf drawings!
Pretty apron. My mom always wore an apron. I have aprons, but I forget to ever wear one.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Yummy fabrics, and a fun way to make a reversible apron! I also love your drawings, these leaves are very pretty, and the branch would be lovely embroidered ;) Well done with your purple kawandi!
Thank you for sharing ;)

Donna T. said...

Nice variety of creativity! Wondering... what is pentangle?

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super cute way to may a holiday apron usable throughout the year, LeeAnn! I love your one-line drawing. Those can be so much fun! Great use of your PURPLE fabric scrap, too. Put a bird on there somewhere and you will have met the March prompt for the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge, too! :o))

Quilter Kathy said...

Such a fun post - the fun apron, the drawings, the zentangles, the purple case - all delightful treats! Thanks for sharing your creativity!

PersimonDreams said...

great apron! love it!

time4stitchn said...

Great use of the borders in the fabric for the challenge. I admire you for entering. I don't think I could do it in a week. I have met Kim twice as she lives here in Wisconsin about an hour away. What a talented lady! Her enthusiasm and fun exudes from her presence. Loved meeting her and even her daughter.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

I have always wanted to try Kawandi. Love your little camera case. Very clever of you to recover an apron and make it new! Love those little chefs. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/03/13/wednesday-wait-loss-371

DVArtist said...

Oh you are so busy. I love the apron. Well, I love anything red. I do cook, as you well know, but I have never been an apron girl. So many lovely things today. I do like French knots. I haven't made them in a very long time. I checked out the YT and that is a very good lesson (s). I really like the camera case tood. Very cheeky. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a fabulous weekend.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Double win on the apron!! Meeting the challenge and!! a new apron for you!! nice!!

Fundy Blue said...

What fun, Leeanna! I loved your Christmas apron! I write morning pages sometimes too. I find it helpful for my creativity. I'm glad that you enjoy using a fountain pen. I always found the scratch of metal on the paper hard on my ears, almost as bad as rolling in mudflats ~ lol. I have a canon point and shoot. I've been debating whether I should sell it or not, because my vision is problematic. I've been relying on my iPhone for photos. Perhaps I'll hold off for a while because of this post. Have a great week!