Saturday, March 2, 2024

last row on my sunflower quilt, watching paint dry, and using my purple scraps



Let's start the week with the last row on my stay at home round robin quilt

the prompt was "letters or numbers" so I found a wonderful quote on sunflowers, changed it up a bit, and printed it onto a sheet of prepared for printing sheets

along with an image of one of my paintings (not to waste the sheet of printable fabric on one quote)

I pieced it in with some blue sky fabric, bird and dragonfly fabrics... 


I think it needs a bit of border around the whole thing, like a frame, how about this sparkly blue??

or brown?

the blue is top heavy, so I fussy cut a few bugs to applique on

and voila! I think I'll border/frame it and quilt it this coming week. Threads will add a lot to it!

on my zoom with Joy this week, she told me of writing with a paintbrush, so I pulled mine out and tried it while we talked. It's just on copier paper but I quite like the effect! 

while online shopping at FabricShack this week, I fell in love with a new line of fabrics with bright flowers. 

So I painted it!

so pretty in person, delicate but still colorful  (watercolor on watercolor paper) click on any image to see them bigger.

Loved this quote by Rumi I saw online this week, so I wrote then painted over it

 

my happy place! My studio, small but mighty, has a little walk in closet where my scraps live. I love fabric and especially love a big mix of scraps!

purple is the color of the month at rainbow scrap challenge but I didn't find out til Friday afternoon. 

I dug around in the purple scraps and found some randomly pieced strip sets, cut 6 equilateral triangles, 

sewed them together and added an applique, to make this mug rug!

see the programmed stitch of spirals? It's one reason I love my Bernina 1630 machine, and have replaced it's motherboard twice! 

(hey, when I splurged and spent the money on this machine in 1999 they said it's on closeout sale and the last machine you'll ever need) (salespeople, sheesh!) and I still love it so much. 

the fusible backed scrap bin fabric had this in there, so I impulsively added it! 

Let me know if you'd like to have this... no promises but if I can ship it from the house for not too much money... 

happy creating y'all
 

linking with

sahrr round 6


design wall Mondays at smallquiltsanddollquilts

https://songbirddesigns.blog/monday-musings-6-26-23/ 

finished or not

https://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/


16 comments:

Tigger's Mum said...

Your paint and write projects reminded me of some plain canvas tote bags i made for a friend. She had given me an old hammock to recycle. I gave her some fabric paints with the bags and she let her 2 year old loose on them. Once he had finished she used the shapes he had made to inspire her line drawings on top with an indelible pen (animals - crocodile, whale, turtle, giraffe, elephant etc) Each bag became an eco statement.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Your Sunflower piece just keeps getting better and better. Each addition is truly inspired! Love your purples as well. Clever you!

Sara said...

Oh yes - your SAHRR sunflower piece is so much fun with all the little bugs here and there. I was excited to see purple yesterday. I was hoping for purple as that color has gotten a bit out of control lately.

Have a great weekend!

Susie H said...

I give you a Big WOW on your sunflower project and it's going to be even more wowier (is that a word? Lol!) when you add the beading. I'm looking forward to purples too!

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE the quote and additional goodies added to your SAHRR this week, LeeAnna!! I'm pleased to have shared in your art making experience on Wednesday. I wondered who might have jumped into PURPLE with both feet... Should have known you would be one of the RSC overachievers!! LOL

JanineMarie said...

Sweet quote to end the SAHRR! I love how your top grew from week, and I can’t wait to see your thread embellishments.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

great start on your purples!

Cathy said...

I love your purple scrappy mug rug!!

piecefulwendy said...

This quilt is so cool, and it has so much of your creative personality in it. Sparkly blue - yes, please, because sparkles!! Really fun to see what else you've been creating, too!

Kathleen said...

Fabulous job on your last round for SAHRR! I love the quote and the addition of the dragonfly just for fun. It really is looking great. The artwork for the week is so inspiring, too! Been busy...J has a heart stress test today..no fun keeping him in line for these things.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your SAHRR is beautiful, such creativity in there! Love the dragonflies and bugs, it's a very unique quilt. Cute purple mug rug too.
Thank you for sharing your pretty paintings too!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Fabulous end to your SAHRR this year! Love that quote. Your purple mug rug is cute! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/03/06/wednesday-wait-loss-370

Gwyned Trefethen said...

What captures my attention with your work are the final additions that bring to quilt or other project to life. In the case of the quilt and mug rug it is the appliqué of the bugs and dragonfly. But oh, that margarita glass complete with salted rim cracked me up. What fun!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

I love how you ended your SAHRR with the sunflower quote, Leanna! Perfect! Cute purple mug rug too! Thanks for sharing with us on Monday Musings.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I think watching paint dry caught my attention this week! ha ha!!
You SAHRR is beautiful - I am partial to blues....
hAve a great week!

Vivian said...

There is always so much joy, love and freedom in your work! It has been fun to watch your SAHRR journey and belated congratulations on winning one of the Project Quilting rounds!