Thursday, August 31, 2023

I Like Thursday...# 365 pasta, poodles and one little tomato

 

welcome to this week's list of likes... starting with my happy place, studio 1. I have different organizational systems, this one holds sharp things like cutting tools. It's a picnic silverwear basket given to me long ago. I painted it red, put a cute fabric around it, and beads and the little compartments are perfect for this, I got the paper girl at a craft show here, supposed to be marker for herb garden. I like this scent of lotion, and keep it in studio. 

On to the show...

I can sometimes work at the computer a bit longer these days so the upcoming painting workshop might turn out to be enjoyable, At least a few teachers maybe, time will tell. 

 Sewing

I am starting the quilting on a new quilt... finished the top, more on Saturday 


 I discovered this week, that you can't fully appreciate a clean  bathroom, microwave oven, or studio until it gets a bit, ahem, dirty before it's cleaned. LOL!

thankful for a new magnifying glass

does my butt look big?
I had an ancient one that broke, and dh found this pretty orange one. I keep it in the kitchen desk, to read labels and exp. dates! Maybe some recipes...
 

fine dining...

 I have to try this recipe, my friend Sonja in HI sent a link to this chef's pizza dough, but these are coconut cream rolls... in case it won't open, the link:

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD-ohOhDVOY


 I made up my own recipe for "savory pasta "   side this week.Don't have exact measurements, since I cook  by intuition but here are the best guesses on ingredients


whole wheat spaghetti, cooked slightly less than normal

Tbsp butter melted in pan,

 mushrooms (I use a frozen mushroom mix, and put in about a cup) saute in butter

add in 5 thinly sliced garlic cloves (fresh is best) and add in a bit of broth 

Over time I ended up adding about 3/4 cup broth as we live at high alt. in dry conditions

as that cooked, I added in a chopped large tomato, about 1/4 Cup marsala wine, a bit of S&P, some oregano, fresh basil from garden sliced, and let me tell you, by now it smells so good with the wine cooking off. Keep adding a bit of broth to keep a slight sauce going. 

add in cooked drained pasta to finish cooking in the sauce. 

1/2 cup of cream and 1 tbsp capers go in last, stirring a few times to coat the pasta, low simmer til the sauce seems good to you... then finish with 1/2 cup grated parm cheese to melt. 

We laid cooked chicken on the top to warm, and served with a side of english peas

Land Management

 we planted 4 tomato plants in May after frost date. 1 survived and it had 2 tiny green marble sized tomatoes for months... now one is ripening... what the heck. DH figures each one will have cost $7.50 plus watering for months

the wildflowers didn't thrive this year either... very disappointing. No poppies, no flash, just a few yellow and one white sprig

I would love one day to plant some pumpkin vines but... 

reading: 

audio:

 

I LOVED this... a multi generational family mystery... loved the characters, plot and reader! 

Love this series... and the reader does delicious accents... Scottish, English, and American. Story of a girls school, the teachers, and their lives. I laugh out loud often.

Ebook

lots checked out but still reading the 2nd novel about Edwina and Beryl in post war England

Milo's Moment

Milo here... gosh, my mama cut almost all my hairs off this weekend. I am cooler but sheesh! I still love my baby crate which lives in the family room, and which is very close to my toy box so I can keep watch over them

I was cooler with less naturally curly hair and I admit I do look good. Mama seems to like my scent but I'm working on returning to a natural Manly odor by peeing on my leg hair, and rolling in the grass. Heh heh. 

please visit these folks to see what they liked this week... 

grammajudyb.blogspot.com

patchwork Sunday                    
oh Scrap Sundays 

friday smiles at a stitch in time  


19 comments:

sonja said...

Due to my short attention span, i like this no yeast pizza recipe with only music back ground as it is under 5 minuets!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_yGB3g_N8E

Oh my, Your pear quilt is adorably delicious!
i have used fruit to make a fruit pizza when recipes make two pies!!

easyweimaraner said...

we love the pears... and we love the idea with the coconut cream rolls! happy thursday to you and da milo

Linda said...

What pretty pears on your quilt! Lol on the cost of a homegrown tomato - I hear that! But oh they are so good. The pasta dish sounds delish. Glad to know someone else uses a magnifying glass to read labels. I have one in my sewing room as well as the kitchen. I used to laugh at Mom because she had several; now I get it!

Angela said...

I just cleaned my bathroom and realize the microwave also needs some attention. Housework is so NOT interesting.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi LeeAnna! It's so nice to be back to posting and reading on Thursdays. Your pear quilt is so pretty! They are each so different - it will look wonderful wherever it ends up when you're finished with it. I love a good magnifying glass. Finding the right one is the ticket - it can't be too heavy. Aww, your poor tomato plant. Mine look exactly the same in spite of being shown lots of love all summer. I think it's the container - while they get good nutrition, etc. from the dirt in a container, it's not like being in the earth where the roots really spread out. Gosh, I love the author Jenny Colgan - I'll have to look for that book! Milo, you're a joy as always. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Hooray for at least one tomato! I'm sure I spend a lot on watering them, too, but the trying is so fun. Mine are just ripening now, too. Glad you're finding books you enjoy - they're so good for escaping. The pear quilt is sweet!

grammajudyb said...

I , too. Like the pear quilt! So, so cute! I have 2 orange-y tomatoes! Maybe they will ripen before frost! Fingers crossed! I think your DH is correct! $7.50 each! Gee Whiz! I say plant pumpkins next year! Or sunflowers like my neighbor! Keep trying till you find what will do well in your space. Gardening isn’t for sissies!, momma used to say! Heehee!

Milo and I both got a hair cut this week! We are “Styling”!!

Cloudia said...

Your butt looks fine lol


https://comfortspiral.blogspot.com/2023/08/joy-rise.html?m=0

Michelle said...

Growing tomatoes can be tricky. A friend told me that they require hot weather to do their best. I can't see up close anymore with out my bifocals. lol Some days a magnifying glass would help. Thanks for linking up and have a great weekend.

photowannabe said...

Love your pear quilt. You have much more patience than I.
Sorry but I had to laugh at the cost of that little tomato. Its really true so savor every bit of that juicy little tomato.
Sue

Unknown said...

Oh Milo!! You stinker (literally!!). LeeAnn we are so glad to see you creating again!! Please take it easy and hopefully fall will be your time!! Anne

Brian's Home Blog said...

Your quilt sure looks pretty and the foods you create always look so darn good. I hope you're feeling some better. Milo, I bet your little fur trim feels good with the hot temps. Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

PaintedThread said...

I like those pears. That pasta looks good. Cute tomato! It will pair nicely with my edamame plant that might produce one bean pod....

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love the pears! The pasta looks so good. I'm glad you included the recipe. I hope you're feeling better.

Annie said...

I think Milo looks very smart...just a shame that the first thing they do is to roll in something smelly lol. Hope you're having a better week.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Sorry I'm late today as we've been away for a few days but back now. I have to say that Milo is such a distraction for me he's so lovely. He's like my two with the crate, they love it and Alfie in particular will just go in there at any time, he loves it. Wishing you a happy weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

My GBGV Life said...

Mom sews but she doesn't do quilting. Quilts like the one you are making are so beautiful and special! Sorry about the furs being cut, but hopefully it will help keep you cool. Have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend!

Sandra Walker said...

Oh my gawd—Milo and Rufus are spirit brothers I know it. Peeing on my leg hair—! I actually laughed out loud as I said oh NO! Rufus has done that since he was little and still does. I have never said anything to anyone because it’s SO embarrassing. Like what dog does that?? Apparently two! Love your pear quilt and yay for being able to sit for longer periods. I had rotten luck this year with my tomatoes, very disappointing. I think ours were close to yours cost-wise lol.

Helen said...

I hope that little tomato is absolutely delicious (and worth the $7.50! ha ha).